SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Best Way to Clean Inside Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Best Way to Clean Inside Wheels?

Has anyone figured out the best/easiest way to clean the inside areas of the wheels?
Every time I wash the SL, I spend most of the time cleaning the wheels, especially the grundgy-looking inner areas. Afterwards, they look good for maybe 2 short trips, then they look terrible again while the outer areas of the wheels still look pretty nice.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Sgooter
Has anyone figured out the best/easiest way to clean the inside areas of the wheels?
Every time I wash the SL, I spend most of the time cleaning the wheels, especially the grundgy-looking inner areas. Afterwards, they look good for maybe 2 short trips, then they look terrible again while the outer areas of the wheels still look pretty nice.
I bought a floor jack and take the wheels/tires off the car. To me it is worth it because I'm a knucklehead and get into detailing my car thoroughly.

Last edited by AMGfan; 10-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGfan
I bought a floor jack and take the wheels/tires off the car. To me it is worth it because I'm a knucklehead and get into detailing my car thoroughly.
wow, i hope you don't do this regularly (or you might have a problem lol). I do that about every 6 months. The "easiest" way would be to take them off and clean them that way but as far as on the car u just have to fingure fck it...there's not much else u can do. You can try to prevent them getting dirty so fast by applying a coat of wax or wheel sealer once they're clean, but it still only last for so long. This is the reason why I chose my 7 spoke wheels rather than some honey comb lookin wheels. Cleaning spokes is a b**ch
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by howie
wow, i hope you don't do this regularly (or you might have a problem lol). I do that about every 6 months. The "easiest" way would be to take them off and clean them that way but as far as on the car u just have to fingure fck it...there's not much else u can do. You can try to prevent them getting dirty so fast by applying a coat of wax or wheel sealer once they're clean, but it still only last for so long. This is the reason why I chose my 7 spoke wheels rather than some honey comb lookin wheels. Cleaning spokes is a b**ch
LOL...It was always a biatch to clean a mesh wheel design also it was the only way to really clean the caliper I had painted. I do this about once every 2 months...it is a cathartic experience !
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM

06 SL600
Pad swap

I'm a clean wheel freak but won't take my twin spokes off my SL600 very often. Many power washers have a seperate attachment for washing things with paint without stripping them. I have a Karcher that does a great job. That with PS21 gets quite a bit off the inside of the rim. Move the car half a wheel roll and repeat on the area that was behind the caliper. Then use a microfiber mitt that you can reach in and get them really well if your wheels are open enough.

Now the best thing I did was to swap out the pads for Centrics. They give you about the same stopping power, are fade resistent (they are not track pads), have great feel and don't dust anywhere near what the stock pads do. All MB pads suck with dusting. this is the best mod I ever did and trust me I drive fast and hard. If you want me to I can post where to get them o r pm me. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:31 PM

2003 SL500
Here's what I use....

I feel your pain! I discovered something at a local True Value Hardware store that works very well. It costs all of about $3 and has no metal parts. It's called a toilet swab or toilet mop, has a plastic handle & and angled head that is made of some sort of fluffy white material. For whatever reason it stays white no matter how much crud you get on it and you can reach in between the spokes to get to the inside of the rim, at least I can on my wife's SLK and my R230 with the AMG wheels.

This wouldn't work on the rims that have multi spokes that are really close together.

J T
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM

09 c63 10 c300 Nissan truck
Griots Garage has wheel cleaning tools that are 8 inch plastic with foam at the ends. I wrap a microfiber towel over the foam and swab the inside of my wheels.