SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC suspension, command module, rooftop assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non
ABC suspension, command module, rooftop assembly

So from what I have read the command module, rooftop assembly and ABC suspension are the most costly to fix.

ABC Suspension: The SL500 lowers it self when it reaches a certain speed, so is it possible to turn this feature off this way it might lower your chances of having the ABC suspension having to be repaired?

Rooftop Assembly: If you purchase an SL500 with the panoramic roof, if you minimize the use of the rooftop assembly as much as possible, constantly droping the top and raising it, would that help lower the chances of having the rootop assembly go out on you? If the rooftop assembly breaks its not so bad because the SL500 still looks nice with the top up. Yes I know its sad that your drop top doesnt work.

Command Module: Now when this thing breaks, basicly your speakers, amplifier, radio, cd/dvd, navigation no longer works at all? you basicly have no music what so ever in your car? Would you be able to install say a speaker and another amplifier and car deck into your SL500 and play music though that, rather than using the command module?
Does the comman module control anything else in the car that might be important, anything that you cant drive with out?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by Bam Bam
ABC Suspension: The SL500 lowers it self when it reaches a certain speed, so is it possible to turn this feature off this way it might lower your chances of having the ABC suspension having to be repaired?
I don't think so. From what I've read, what usually fails is that the struts start to leak. This will happen regardless of whether you attempt to disable the lowering functionality. The struts are expensive.

Rooftop Assembly: If you purchase an SL500 with the panoramic roof, if you minimize the use of the rooftop assembly as much as possible, constantly droping the top and raising it, would that help lower the chances of having the rootop assembly go out on you? If the rooftop assembly breaks its not so bad because the SL500 still looks nice with the top up. Yes I know its sad that your drop top doesnt work.
Not much fun in that now, is there. However, I do typically avoid needless ups and downs of the top for this very reason.

Command Module: Now when this thing breaks, basicly your speakers, amplifier, radio, cd/dvd, navigation no longer works at all? you basicly have no music what so ever in your car? Would you be able to install say a speaker and another amplifier and car deck into your SL500 and play music though that, rather than using the command module?
Does the comman module control anything else in the car that might be important, anything that you cant drive with out?
I've considered this same possility if/when the COMAND unit should ever crap out. Fact is that most standalone nav units operate much better than the COMAND nav unit does. And fact is that the stock sound system is basically crap. I'd think long and hard about spending the dough to replace the COMAND unit should it fail, in favor of giving 75% as much $$ to a good custom shop to install a real stereo system. Then spend $400 on a Navigon and you've upgraded everything and saved some money.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:57 PM

non
If you install a new stereo system, amplifier and car deck, does it require the need of the command module, or could the new stereo system be independent of the command module?

When it comes to the ABC suspension are the struts the only thing that is exspensive to replace? How exspensive is the pump that pumps fluid into the struts is that exspensive? So if your ABC suspension fails you basicly cant drive the vehicle at all? or will the drive be very uncomfortable and you will feel every little bump on the road?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:05 PM

SL500
If you install a new stereo system, amplifier and car deck, does it require the need of the command module, or could the new stereo system be independent of the command module?
I'm guessing you'd remove the COMAND unit and other stock stereo components, and install another head unit in its place. I imagine Alpine or someone must make a nice double-DIN size head unit that might also include nav, that would fit nicely in the space vacated by the COMAND unit. Just guessing there. The quality of whatever install you chose would depend entirely on the fabrication abilities of the shop chosen. I'm guessing $5k would get you pretty well set up though.

When it comes to the ABC suspension are the struts the only thing that is exspensive to replace? How exspensive is the pump that pumps fluid into the struts is that exspensive? So if your ABC suspension fails you basicly cant drive the vehicle at all? or will the drive be very uncomfortable and you will feel every little bump on the road?
I'm not qualified to speak on this.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM

non
Iam hoping that the SL500 is still driveable even if it struts leaks and needs to be replaced.

Anyone had to have their struts replaced due to leaks? Was your SL500 still driveable? Was the ride smooth?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
I really think that lack of usage could probably cause this items to fail !!!!! enjoy the car guys or sell it , you only live once !!!1
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 PM

BamBam: The Airmatic/ABC problems long-term are the struts (as you stated). Cost I believe is approximately $1k per corner to fix. But my info is at least 3-4 years out of date. When it fails, depending on the failure, you can still drive it. However, other failures will result in the whole car dropping right above the tire and undriveable. What you commonly see if a strut fails is one corner dropped right on the tire while raising the other 3 corners. It looks strange.

High-end audio shops can swap out the whole command system and fit in an aftermarket head unit. When I had my w220 S class many moons ago, I had some stereo work done at the ill-fated Sprewell racing (spinner rims anyone) and I saw a few cars with the Command system replaced. I don't know the exact details of doing something like that, but it can be done. A hefty price tag is probably involved. You can run amplifiers and speakers with the standard Command system; that's what I did. JL audio amps and Eclipse cabin speakers and eclipse subs on my S class.

Top failures are pretty rare. I only seen one failure when I was involved with Mercedes. If you're lucky, the failure will happen when the top is down/closed. Drive to the dealership and get it fixed. One time, I saw a guy with a failed hardtop that was half retracted. he drove it to the dealership that way. Funny stuff. Overall, not a very common problem in the R230. Just search the forums.

All in all, the R230 has been a solid car. The only ones with any kind of problems were the launch release cars with the special paint and those were minor (gas tank needed baffles).
Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 PM

2005 SL500
Iam hoping that the SL500 is still driveable even if it struts leaks and needs to be replaced.

Anyone had to have their struts replaced due to leaks? Was your SL500 still driveable? Was the ride smooth?
That depends on how bad the leak is. My ABC pump was leaking but there were no detectable problems with the car. Many leaks have ended where the strut has lost pressure and the piston is resting on the bump stop. In those cases, the car is basically undriveable at decent speeds.

Originally Posted by m4xm1l10n;
I really think that lack of usage could probably cause this items to fail !!!!! enjoy the car guys or sell it , you only live once !!!
+1 agree! I'll use the roof whenever the heck I feel like it until it fails or I stop liking the "roof down experience"! Haha, never!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM

non
If pressure inside the strut is used to prevent the piston from touching the bump stop, could you somehow keep the pressure in the strut constant, which might pro long the life of the strut? Iam guessing the change in pressure due to the SL500 raising it self and lowering itself at certain speeds is what causes wear and tear on the struts?

My ABC pump was leaking but there were no detectable problems with the car. Many leaks have ended where the strut has lost pressure and the piston is resting on the bump stop. In those cases, the car is basically undriveable at decent speeds.
Is a fully proper working strut the only thing that can prevent the piston from resting on the bump stop? Could you use like a coil over or something that can raise the piston so it doesnt rest on the bump stop.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM

SL500
Yeah Max and Rook, you're totally right, we should use the car like it was intended. I'm still a little in awe every time I watch the top go up or down.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM

SL500
Is a fully proper working strut the only thing that can prevent the piston from resting on the bump stop? Could you use like a coil over or something that can raise the piston so it doesnt rest on the bump stop.
Call me crazy, but doesn't that seem a bit impractical? You'd have one corner being "suspended" completely differently than the other three. Isn't the type of repair you describe best reserved for a 1992 Cutlass Ciera, or something similar? Do you really want to be the guy driving the SL "Hoopdee Edition" down the road all crooked because he won't pony up the money to fix it the right way? Even if it looked normal in a straight line going down the street, I can't imagine it would be safe in case you had to do any maneuvering.

I read that Mercedes had removed the ABC in favor of more traditional suspension for the Black, so I guess it's possible in theory to switch to a non-ABC suspension, but not sure it's the kind of swap a normal shop could take on.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-18-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 PM

non
What speed do you have to exceed so the SL lowers itself? can you change it to a higher speed?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

What you're suggesting (keeping the pressure in the strut constant) is probably impossible and would ruin the car's ride.

The lowering of the car at certain speeds is done via the ECU.

You have to view the ABC/Airmatic as an expensive shock/spring system. It will wear out (as it's designed to endure wear and tear) and it will need replacing.

Preventing the wear is most likely impossible and is the cost of ownership.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM

non
Can you program the ECU so that the speed that the SL lowers is higher?
What speed does it lower at? 30 mph? 50 mph? I would rather have it at a higher speed for highways.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM

2008 M6 Vert
OK I can speak to the ABC going out. Mine went out and it cost >$2K to get it fixed. Car seems to drive OK but it was very very bouncy.

I also had power top go out. The problem was getting it to do it at the dealership. It would always work fine. They replaced the whole mechanism but this was done under warranty so I have no idea how much it would have cost.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What speed do you have to exceed so the SL lowers itself? can you change it to a higher speed?
I believe at speeds after 55MPH and no it won't raise the vehicle at all , same with my S500 if i have it raised it will deactivate after you reach certain high speed .
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 AM

non
I believe at speeds after 55MPH and no it won't raise the vehicle at all , same with my S500 if i have it raised it will deactivate after you reach certain high speed .
So if you accelerate pas 55 mph, the R320 lowers it self, then you decelerate to like 20 mph does the R320 raises it self again? If you drive like this often do you think it would put more wear and tear on your struts?

55 mph is pretty fast, so if you drive your R320 on the highway often, this might cause more wear and tear on your struts? If you do most of your driving in the city and stay under 55 mph the pump shouldnt have to work extra hard to correct the pressure in your struts?

If you put really small wheels on your R320, even if you have leaky struts do you think it will prevent your R320 from touching the wheels?

Last edited by Bam Bam; 02-19-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So if you accelerate pas 55 mph, the R320 lowers it self, then you decelerate to like 20 mph does the R320 raises it self again? If you drive like this often do you think it would put more wear and tear on your struts?

55 mph is pretty fast, so if you drive your R320 on the highway often, this might cause more wear and tear on your struts? If you do most of your driving in the city and stay under 55 mph the pump shouldnt have to work extra hard to correct the pressure in your struts?

If you put really small wheels on your R320, even if you have leaky struts do you think it will prevent your R320 from touching the wheels?
Well that's what it suppose to do , so now you won't hit the high way ? SMALL WHEEL COMMENT ,I have no idea
Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

SL500

I don't know Bam Bam.... I'm thinking you should ask yourself if this is the car you want to buy. It seems you're trying to go to great lengths to come up with shortcut fixes to problems the car may or may not have. If it has strut problems, you should be in a position to replace the struts, not put go-kart wheels on or try to pin pistons in place. The COMAND replacement issue, to me, at least makes some kind of sense because you'd be upgrading the stereo and nav to a less proprietary and better-working system. The other stuff though? Do it OEM and live with it.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM

non
so now you won't hit the high way ?
I will still drive on the highway, 100 miles away from where I live is a huge ski resort and they are redoing the whole high way up the mountain adding more lanes. Iam definiteyl taking the R320 on weekend trips up to the ski resort.

The speed limit on the highway is what 55/65 mph? Iam hoping you can flash the ecu so that the R320 lowers itself at around 75 mph, do you think that its possible to do that?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:23 AM

non
I'm thinking you should ask yourself if this is the car you want to buy
yes yes I love this car. If I didnt I work have given up on it and just look for something else.
Iam not going to put super small go kart wheels, maybe 16s?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM

SL 500
Bam,

I think your concerns are valid, but realize the SL is a very expensive toy to own and operate. One should not buy it without a warranty. If you are concerned w/ ABC, Roof, & other issues, it's best you buy a new or low mileage SL with a CPO plan for piece of mind. In expensive toys, there will be expensive parts. That is the cost of ownership but you can minimize the damage to your wallet but getting a CPO or extended warranty.

Also, remember it's meant to be driven. Its sad to see SLs parked in garages when they should be enjoyed. IMHO, buy one if you really want one, drive it to your heart's content, and once the fun wears out, buy something different. It's quite simple.

Best,
amer
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM

non
Iam more worried about keeping the car after the warranty has ran out and the mileage is way to high to purchase extended warranty.

If you drive this car in the city staying below the city limits, you should pro long the life of your struts, and also your ABC pump and maybe other parts also.
If you live in a big US city with huge freeways and highways, and your commute is often far, then I can see why your ABC suspension would need to be replaced.

I called Mercedes benz dealer and spoke to a service tech, and he told me that you cant change the speed in which the R230 lowers itself, its apparently hardcoded into the ECU. The tech also said if you want to prolong the life of your suspension, then you should stay away from ruff terrain or pot holes. If you are an aggressive driver or speed a lot and you have to slam on the breaks and decelerate often, it also puts on wear and tear on your ABC suspension. The ABC suspension has to maintain proper pressure in the struts this way when you break from fast speeds you dont feel the jerk and bounce, so the breaking will be smooth.

Last edited by Bam Bam; 02-19-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bam Bam i have my car for about 1 year now !!!! and I'll tell you what , i drive her hard i mean hard , doesn't mean i bit on her smoking rubber and all that nonsense , i have about 35.000 miles on it now , i bought her with 22k .and she is being nothing but good and i drive her like it's supposed to be driven . Simply get the car and enjoy it . I never really think about problems with it , when it comes I'll deal with it nix:
Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM

non
Originally Posted by m4xm1l10n
Bam Bam i have my car for about 1 year now !!!! and I'll tell you what , i drive her hard i mean hard , doesn't mean i bit on her smoking rubber and all that nonsense , i have about 35.000 miles on it now , i bought her with 22k .and she is being nothing but good and i drive her like it's supposed to be driven . Simply get the car and enjoy it . I never really think about problems with it , when it comes I'll deal with it nix:
Just dont be too agressive with it, dont speed up a lot and be break happy, cause your SL500 will automaticlly try to adjust the supspension in order to maintain a smooth ride. Even when you break from fast speeds the suspension will try to maintain the pressure inorder to absorbs the bounce and jerk.

When I make my purchase on a R230 I hope I dont get one that has been abused and driven way to aggressive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: ABC suspension, command module, rooftop assembly