Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 04:41 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 500
This is the way I changed mine links at friends service

P.S. Also, checked my fog lights and other stuff
Old 05-26-2009 | 11:14 AM

2015 MB S550 Coupe, 2018 Carrera T, Ford F150
I just realized that I've been posting in this thread under 2 names: biophase = neomonkey Hope I didn't confuse anyone. My work computer and home computer cookies are different so I log in as different people. And since I have it autologin I never noticed it until right now.

Ah, mystery solved. I thought the posts were strangely similar.

Well, I'm waiting for the links to arrive and appreciate the insight that you, John, and especially Paul (M4XM1l1ON) have provided. Once done, I'll let you know how it went. In the meantime, thanks.
Old 05-27-2009 | 06:38 PM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Originally Posted by FreshTAMPON
damn u posted a pic of ur wife like that lol,

what nationality is she?
no different than a bikini. shes white(irish mix). LOL tans easy.
Old 05-27-2009 | 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by neomonkey

what kind of wheels do y have? is the rear lip 4" ?
Old 05-27-2009 | 07:28 PM

Just to let everyone who was involved know that the links arrived yesterday in South Florida from British Columbia just two business days after they were ordered standard shipping. Excellent service, thanks John.

I was very careful setting the links, 4.5mm longer front and 6mm shorter rear, before putting them on. I calculated that would lower the car about 5/8" in the front and 3/4" in the rear and that's exactly how it came out. The wheelwells front and rear are filled pretty much equally. The distance from ground to wheelwell opening is 26 1/8", +/-1/16", at all four corners. I used this setting so that if I raise the car to stage 1 (one indicator light on console switch) the car will return to pretty much the factory setting. Stage 2 gives an additional 10mm, good to clear high car stops and curbs.

The only advantage I can determine for using the Renntech module is that it has some safeguards built in to prevent going too low, specifically when the automatic speed activated lowering is activated. I seriously considered it since Renntech's shop is just 25 miles from my home. I decided it's preferable to use this mechanical solution because the links are easily accessible and adjusted, or removed, whatever the case may be. And it's about $1400 cheaper if installation is included. The module, on the other hand, is located behind the dashboard and modification of existing wiring is needed. Once set, it's not as easy to get to and adjust.

So, like most everyone else who has been commenting, I am a satisfied customer and a believer that the links are the best way to go. They are relatively expensive but meticulously constructed, a perfect fitment, and should last the life of the car without any issues. Now if I can help anyone with their decision or installation, I would be pleased to return the favors that I have received.
Old 05-27-2009 | 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by cyberay
Just to let everyone who was involved know that the links arrived yesterday in South Florida from British Columbia just two business days after they were ordered standard shipping. Excellent service, thanks John.

I was very careful setting the links, 4.5mm longer front and 6mm shorter rear, before putting them on. I calculated that would lower the car about 5/8" in the front and 3/4" in the rear and that's exactly how it came out. The wheelwells front and rear are filled pretty much equally. The distance from ground to wheelwell opening is 26 1/8", +/-1/16", at all four corners. I used this setting so that if I raise the car to stage 1 (one indicator light on console switch) the car will return to pretty much the factory setting. Stage 2 gives an additional 10mm, good to clear high car stops and curbs.

The only advantage I can determine for using the Renntech module is that it has some safeguards built in to prevent going too low, specifically when the automatic speed activated lowering is activated. I seriously considered it since Renntech's shop is just 25 miles from my home. I decided it's preferable to use this mechanical solution because the links are easily accessible and adjusted, or removed, whatever the case may be. And it's about $1400 cheaper if installation is included. The module, on the other hand, is located behind the dashboard and modification of existing wiring is needed. Once set, it's not as easy to get to and adjust.

So, like most everyone else who has been commenting, I am a satisfied customer and a believer that the links are the best way to go. They are relatively expensive but meticulously constructed, a perfect fitment, and should last the life of the car without any issues. Now if I can help anyone with their decision or installation, I would be pleased to return the favors that I have received.
i'm suprised you think they were expensive. I thought it was cheap..i have had many cars but never have i had one lowered so well, easily, for so cheap. My ride is the same and i cant beleive that i have my sl500 lowered(w/labour..by JOHN) with a great ride for 450CDN

super PLEASED!!!

Last edited by VendettaMB; 05-27-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2009 | 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Originally Posted by VendettaMB
i'm suprised you think they were expensive. I thought it was chea..i have had many cars but never have i had one lowered so well, easily, for so cheap. My ride is the same and i cant beleive that i have my sl500 lowered(w/labour..by JOHN) with a great ride for 450CDN

super PLEASED!!!
well stated !!
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:28 AM

03 SL500
i'm suprised you think they were expensive. I thought it was cheap..i have had many cars but never have i had one lowered so well, easily, for so cheap. My ride is the same and i cant beleive that i have my sl500 lowered(w/labour..by JOHN) with a great ride for 450CDN

super PLEASED!!!
This is real cheap!! Consider that for any other car you'd pay $300+ just for the springs. Then you need to get someone to install it.
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:29 AM

03 SL500
BTW, I think I want to drop my fronts another 1/8" this week. If I do I'm thinking of making a how to video while I do it this time so I can post it on here.
Old 05-28-2009 | 09:11 AM

SLK55AMG, SL600
Originally Posted by biophase
BTW, I think I want to drop my fronts another 1/8" this week. If I do I'm thinking of making a how to video while I do it this time so I can post it on here.

That would be very interesting to see nice idea.
Old 05-29-2009 | 12:41 PM

I'm suprised you think they were expensive. I thought it was cheap..i have had many cars but never have i had one lowered so well, easily, for so cheap. My ride is the same and i cant beleive that i have my sl500 lowered(w/labour..by JOHN) with a great ride for 450CDN

well stated !!

This is real cheap!! Consider that for any other car you'd pay $300+ just for the springs. Then you need to get someone to install it.

VENDETTA and BIOPHASE: I think you may have focused on two words out of context. I did not say they were overpriced. I chose my words carefully. I said they were relatively expensive. Meaning relative to the component cost without considering the development costs. I suppose I could have chosen my words better.

In this thread there are posts from an individual who made his own for less than $50 in parts cost. He said, without recrimination, that he didn't wish to spend over $300 for something that cost so little to make.

M4XMILION: You said that you were looking into adapting the stock links that fit other models, but are longer than those used on the SL, from a MB dealer's parts department because they are just $20. That doesn't sound like someone who hasn't considered the higher cost of adjustable links and whether they are worth it.

I thought it was obvious from my entire post that I agree they are well worth the price and I apologize if my post was interpreted otherwise. I hope that others who may have read it understood that I am grateful that this product is available and that I enthusiastically endorse it.

Opposing viewpoints are always welcome and they are what make discussion forums discussion forums. I hope I have cleared up any misconceptions. Thank you all again. If not for the forum and your posts I would have not even known the links exist.

Enough said, let's go back to talking about cars.
Old 05-29-2009 | 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whats up Ray . the links were different anyway . and sure is the best and cheapest way of lowering our cars . with you permission could i post the some of the pics you sent me on here ?
Old 05-29-2009 | 02:43 PM

Sure Paul. Thanks for asking. They're not very good, but if anyone is interested I'll take better pix out of the garage as soon as it stops raining. Sorry the idea didn't work out but it was a worthwhile attempt.
Old 05-29-2009 | 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by cyberay
I'm suprised you think they were expensive. I thought it was cheap..i have had many cars but never have i had one lowered so well, easily, for so cheap. My ride is the same and i cant beleive that i have my sl500 lowered(w/labour..by JOHN) with a great ride for 450CDN

well stated !!

VENDETTA and BIOPHASE: I think you may have focused on two words out of context. I did not say they were overpriced. I chose my words carefully. I said they were relatively expensive. Meaning relative to the component cost without considering the development costs. I suppose I could have chosen my words better.

In this thread there are posts from an individual who made his own for less than $50 in parts cost. He said, without recrimination, that he didn't wish to spend over $300 for something that cost so little to make.

M4XMILION: You said that you were looking into adapting the stock links that fit other models, but are longer than those used on the SL, from a MB dealer's parts department because they are just $20. That doesn't sound like someone who hasn't considered the higher cost of adjustable links and whether they are worth it.

I thought it was obvious from my entire post that I agree they are well worth the price and I apologize if my post was interpreted otherwise. I hope that others who may have read it understood that I am grateful that this product is available and that I enthusiastically endorse it.

Opposing viewpoints are always welcome and they are what make discussion forums discussion forums. I hope I have cleared up any misconceptions. Thank you all again. If not for the forum and your posts I would have not even known the links exist.

Enough said, let's go back to talking about cars.
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:34 PM

SLK55AMG, SL600
I finally installed my links and how simple it was to do it. Looks great I will get picks up soon.
Old 06-04-2009 | 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘23 EQS AMG
no different than a bikini. shes white(irish mix). LOL tans easy.
nice, congrats.
Old 06-05-2009 | 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Just ordered mine today. I will post pictures of before and after next week.

Can't wait
Old 06-05-2009 | 08:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Sl500R
Originally Posted by mtlbenz
Hey Guys, I just sold my SL500(R230) and I kept the links. So if anybody wants them they are up for sale. They have about 300miles on them, I'll sell for 250$ SHIPPED!!!

PM me, or email me

nickdfg@gmail.com

SOLD!!!
Old 06-08-2009 | 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by mtlbenz
SOLD!!!
So what are ya getting into next?
Old 06-08-2009 | 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Sl500R
Originally Posted by Sunir
So what are ya getting into next?
Still debating, not 100% sure anymore, but I'll be sure to update everybody.

She will be missed

Old 06-09-2009 | 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok got my links today and got a chance to put them on the car. However with my luck I did something wrong. I think.

I followed the instructions that came with the links

I decided to go ahead and drop the car really low which I did and everything went as planned

Put the links on hit the raise button and the car slammed down. OK

I adjusted the car to where I would want it while driving.

Everytime I drive the car lifts in the front is this normal??? When I come to a dead stop it rests down by itself. Is this normal? I never noticed this driving the car on stock links.

Should I be driving in ABC mode? what does it do?? The raise button only raises the front end correct?

Im confused and need some help.
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:30 AM
Almost a Member!

Sl500R
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Ok got my links today and got a chance to put them on the car. However with my luck I did something wrong. I think.

I followed the instructions that came with the links

I decided to go ahead and drop the car really low which I did and everything went as planned

Put the links on hit the raise button and the car slammed down. OK

I adjusted the car to where I would want it while driving.

Everytime I drive the car lifts in the front is this normal??? When I come to a dead stop it rests down by itself. Is this normal? I never noticed this driving the car on stock links.

Should I be driving in ABC mode? what does it do?? The raise button only raises the front end correct?

Im confused and need some help.
The ABC mode simlpy stiffens the suspension. My guess is u installed one of the links upside down. Also make sure you've dropped the car evey on both sides.

Also, once you've installed & adjusted ur links, be sure to raise the car completely. (Press the raise button twice) then drop it(press it a 3rd time.

Hope this helps
Old 06-09-2009 | 10:30 AM

the car raises with the button FRONT AND BACK. I have my lowered, but it rubs if not raised at all when i turn.so i drive with the butto pressed 1x(1 light on) when i park i lowered it back down so it looks better
i also have the SPORT on so it stiffens the ride. I will be having ohn from Adjutableairride re- adjust it alll when in get m new wheels but that wont be for a bit.
Old 06-09-2009 | 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very nice glad all went well .
Old 06-09-2009 | 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The car dropped fine but is it normal for the car to raise as soon as I start driving???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: LOWERING LINKS ?