SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Furious!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Furious!!!

Won't go into the details but I let a friend take the car out and although he was honest enough to tell me what happened, I swear nobody drives the car again.
He lit up a cigarette and realizing that I don't smoke in the car as the ash tray has never been used, he threw it out of the window......so he thought...it apparently flew back in, as he smelt a burning smell..stopped the car and sure enough there it was smoldering away on the carpet at the back(drivers side) I have a nasty burn mark and sheared blackened hole. Now nobody sees it...............but I know its there and when I automatically take the seat forward, I see it and it really p*isses me off.

Any solutions to fixing this to cover it up in a semi-professional manner?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Is it on a piece that can be easily replaced? I know some of the carpeted panels in the back are separate pieces. If not call around to dealerships and see if they have a guy that comes out and fixes burns. At work we have a guy that does it. What he does is shaves the burned area of carpet down and then glues down some carpet fibers of the same color. It looks ok in the end but is still a little noticeable.

And I don't even like the dealership driving my car.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Yes, I was thinking along the same lines, like cutting a piece under the seat and glueing same somehow to the burn mark. After this incident, I feel that (although I am normally) fairly useless mechanically, I just don't trust anybody in the car.........appreciate the advice............
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
No smoking in ANY of my cars PERIOD. I even require people to shake their legs before entering my car to mitigate brining in dirt.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:20 PM

SL500
I'm sorry, but what kind of *** would light up a cancer stick in someone else's car under any conditions, unless they were SURE that person smoked in their car? These days most people don't smoke in their cars. Your friend's an idiot. And that part about "I stopped when I realized you had a clean ashtray"? He's lying out his ***. He lit up, could have cared less about your smoking habits because the top was down and he figured you'd never notice. The cig got low, and the rest is true. The story about him quitting as soon as he noticed the "ash tray has never been used" was a lie to help him save face. I don't know your friend, but his explanation sets off my bullsh*t meter, and certainly shouldn't earn him any extra credit.

Last edited by mikeinsf; 02-27-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

2008 M6 Vert
I wonder how the cig butt didnt burn the back compartments and only the rug. That is seriously stupid throwing it out like that. In cali, you can cause fires.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Mercedes,Porsche etc
Originally Posted by mikeinsf
I'm sorry, but what kind of *** would light up a cancer stick in someone else's car under any conditions, unless they were SURE that person smoked in their car? These days most people don't smoke in their cars. Your friend's an idiot. And that part about "I stopped when I realized you had a clean ashtray"? He's lying out his ***. He lit up, could have cared less about your smoking habits because the top was down and he figured you'd never notice. The cig got low, and the rest is true. The first part of the story was just there to help him save face.

AGREED,,

SACRED MERCEDES COMMANDMENTS ( for guaranteed safey of your car)

1. never ever lend a mercedes to a friend

2 never lend or let a woman drive your mercedes..

3 Never valet the car

4 never let cigarette smokers in the car.. they walk..

Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by mikeinsf
I'm sorry, but what kind of *** would light up a cancer stick in someone else's car under any conditions, unless they were SURE that person smoked in their car?
Absolutely. Even my friends who do smoke know to at least ask before even touching their cigarettes. No smoking in or around my vehicles ever. Even just the hot ashes can mar the clearcoat let alone the smell that just permeates everything.

Don't take this the wrong way everybody, but I have found that those hardcore smokers tend not to give two sh|ts about how their smoking affects everyone else and just do it whenever and wherever they want. As an example, a friend of a friend of mine and her husband smoke quite a bit and went out and bought a brand new 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser for about $29,000 (in 2006 of course). Within less than three days they had smoked so much in the car, they filled the ash tray and the whole thing stunk. Well, there goes $28,500 in value. I've got another friend who will stab out half-smoked cigarettes and within less than three minutes is lighting up another one. Quite a costly way to waste her money.

Rook

Last edited by Rook3300; 02-27-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 PM

SL500
Not to sound crazy, but I dont even visit my friends that are hardcore smokers because every time I do I leave smelling like an ashtray. Then I get in my car and the smell lingers for days. Also if someone lights up a cigarette I won't even let them get near my car for at least 20 minutes. I hate smoke.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
I'd say your buddy owes you a professionally installed authentic Mercedes replacement carpet. I'd settle for nothing less.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM

R230
I lost my father to lung cancer 11 months ago due to smoking.....I smoked 12 years and quit 6yrs ago......grew up on a tobacco farm in SW Ontario.......

That being said.....I have little to no tolerance for irresponsible smoking (still trying to define responsible smoking). My friend whom still do smoke obey my rules in my house and within my property...no questions. Then again, they are all over 40 so I assume have acquired certain life lessons regarding respect and consequence.........your friend obviously has not acquired either.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 AM

update and report on 1st year of the SL550

Originally Posted by Keng1
I wonder how the cig butt didnt burn the back compartments and only the rug. That is seriously stupid throwing it out like that. In cali, you can cause fires.

Agreed................we had more than a few words..not nice at all and I still can't get over the stupidity of it all. He has offered to pay for all costs involved..................but it's taken me 2 days to calm down............anyway, on to more pleasant things.............

had the car since May 08, before that had the CLS which I sort of liked the new shape as I brought it when she first came out, but my wife thought it was an old farts car and I had many service and mechanical issues with it. 9000 miles later, I can honestly say that this SL is the first car I have ever had with not one single complaint..no noises, no problems and smooth as silk. Incredible. Couple of small dings on the windshield and a few on the paint,(very faint) but thats normal.
Thought that 10,000 miles was the first main service, although its telling me that I am 9 days overdue? Regardless, taking her in next week. A previous Mercedes dealer when I had the CLS told me that basically the first 10,000 miles service was a waste of money on my part..............true or false? Anyway, appreciate you guys telling me what they are supposed to complete and check for the first A service(I know I can look it up in my manual) and how much they normally charge..............................I normally change my oil around the 3K-5K mark regardless of what they tell you in the book and I will have the oil changed anyway.....................but appreciate your comments........................

But(touch wood..hope nothing now goes wrong) . I really have been impressed with this car for the first 9 months.........mechanically, technically, comfort and looks and long may it continue
Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 PM

2005 SL500
Honestly, having just had the Schedule A service done on my 2005 SL500, if you change your own oil in it every 5K or so anyway, the service is a waste of your money at 10,000 miles. Maybe by the time you hit 20,000 miles it'll be ok to do since they check all fluids, belts, and other wear items for you. Good to have another pair of trained eyes on it just in case something leaps out at them. Most of the cost of the service is the oil change and labor anyway.

Damn right your friend better pay for everything. I'd hate to see someone like Judge Judy get ahold of 'em!

Rook

Last edited by Rook3300; 03-02-2009 at 10:27 AM.