Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SL 500
Keyless entry not working

Hi,

I drive a 2003 Mercedes SL 500.
My keyless entry will not unlock or lock the car. When I push the lock/unlock, it lights up but I have to manually unlock the car.

I also had my car parked in the driveway, which is very steep, for couple months. When I finally decided to drive it the other day “Red brake light” came on even though I released the emergency brake. Also the message came on indicating "visit the workshop". "Red brake light" message disappeared when I backed the car out and parked it on the flat ground. However, the "Visit Workshop" message is still on.
Could someone give me some insight? Thanks-
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM

non
Check your break fluid level, parking on a hill might make trip the sensor in thinking you have low break fluids.

The visit workshop light probally stays on as a precaution, turn the engine off, and disconect the battery that might make the vist shop light go off.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by Bam Bam
Check your break fluid level, parking on a hill might make trip the sensor in thinking you have low break fluids.

The visit workshop light probally stays on as a precaution, turn the engine off, and disconect the battery that might make the vist shop light go off.
Here's your spelling list for this week:

Brake
Probably
Disconnect
Visit

We'll work on your grammar in the future.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Change the key batteries and chock the wheels if you are going to be leaving it on a steep incline for long periods of time. You also might want to put a trickle charger on it too to save your battery.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Mercedes SL 500
keyless entry not working

Thanks all of you for all of your insight.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 PM

03 SL500
Originally Posted by teeth

Brake
Probably
Disconnect
Visit

LOL
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 AM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
hahahaha im glad it bugged others too

im an accountant and im far from an english scholar but he misspelled some really basic words
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 PM

2007 SL550
Good thing punctuation isn't on the curriculum...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:31 PM

2003 SL 500
Keyless

I also had an issue with the Keyless Go card not unlocking my 500 SL and then the Keyless Go quit starting the auto. Mercedes has never resolved the issue, check Keyless Go on this forum, seems their quality has gone South. In all probability I will never buy another Mercedes.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 AM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Originally Posted by BENZGR
I also had an issue with the Keyless Go card not unlocking my 500 SL and then the Keyless Go quit starting the auto. Mercedes has never resolved the issue, check Keyless Go on this forum, seems their quality has gone South. In all probability I will never buy another Mercedes.
I agree. This is my first MB and my last. I have too much invested in this car now to go back. So..... Where do u stop. Next is tiny/ sub/ install of new tails. Maybe trade in and part out next year after my warranty up. Interested to see my bill tomm at MB ad truly see if problems fixed.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
doors unlock/locking..

Well, I speak from a similar experience. I got my car back today. The issue was the P.S.E pump in the trunk was not working due to some moisture which shorted the circuitry. The pump is responsible for unlock/lock/, alarm, and roof mechanism. If it fails, you will see malfunction for roof on your dash, not automatic locking via key or inside button, and alarm is disabled.

The dealer replaced the P.S.E pump under extended warranty ($800.00). The root cause was the brake light in the back has somehow deteriorated and water had seeped slowly inside and light and water trickled down the the pump compartment ultimately causing some damage. Got new light housing and pump. Good to go now. Thank goodness for extended warranties.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by djamer
Well, I speak from a similar experience. I got my car back today. The issue was the P.S.E pump in the trunk was not working due to some moisture which shorted the circuitry. The pump is responsible for unlock/lock/, alarm, and roof mechanism. If it fails, you will see malfunction for roof on your dash, not automatic locking via key or inside button, and alarm is disabled.

The dealer replaced the P.S.E pump under extended warranty ($800.00). The root cause was the brake light in the back has somehow deteriorated and water had seeped slowly inside and light and water trickled down the the pump compartment ultimately causing some damage. Got new light housing and pump. Good to go now. Thank goodness for extended warranties.

They made these cars way too complicated. When it takes a dealer in Vancouver with a large sl500 population 1 month to solve( hopefully) an issue, it's insane. No reason to have so many chances for failure on these cars. As a top car in Their line, sounds like more people are annoyed than going to buy another. I'm already looking for another exteneded warranty for when this one ends.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:22 AM

SL 500
Originally Posted by VendettaMB
They made these cars way too complicated. When it takes a dealer in Vancouver with a large sl500 population 1 month to solve( hopefully) an issue, it's insane. No reason to have so many chances for failure on these cars. As a top car in Their line, sounds like more people are annoyed than going to buy another. I'm already looking for another exteneded warranty for when this one ends.
I feel your pain. Luckily this isn't my daily driver. Honestly i haven't personally met one person who drives their SL on a daily basis. Car is way to complicated and temperamental. Fortunately here in Northern Virginia, there are several dealerships and indy shops to shop around from. I deal with a very reputable service advisor who really takes good car of me, and my extended warranty company hasn't let me down once yet. It's a crap shoot out there when taking your car for repairs. Just hope you find a reputable shop with trusty mechanics.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 AM

I feel your pain. Luckily this isn't my daily driver. Honestly i haven't personally met one person who drives their SL on a daily basis. Car is way to complicated and temperamental. Fortunately here in Northern Virginia, there are several dealerships and indy shops to shop around from. I deal with a very reputable service advisor who really takes good car of me, and my extended warranty company hasn't let me down once yet. It's a crap shoot out there when taking your car for repairs. Just hope you find a reputable shop with trusty mechanics.
the MB dealer here that i use as there is a few is actually great(JAY IRWIN IN SERVICE..GREAT GUY/ HELP)..its just the car. Its my daily driver(only had since May,,already at MB body shop 1 month, for their crappy paint wrk, MB shop for this isue 1 month..and a few short visits), so it sucks when little things go wrong and big ones..drives me crazy. We also have a jeep TJ that we cant sell as my wife had wracked it up 3x! LOL but never an issue as no stupid computers...i could care less about keyless go..as you always need a key JUST IN CASE!. id rather normal suspenion so i can sleep at night and not wonder if today is the day its a 3800$ strut job. car was made WAY over complicated then it really needed it be IMO. i found a local INDy shop fom this forum, but found MB dealer to know more about these cars (SL) as too new for some of the smaller shops to be experts..especailly when trouble shooting ghost/problems in these cars. If it didnt look so good parked and so much $ invested it would be gone already...at some point i may trade it in if this problem continues. I hope bill isnt too much tomm...should be interesting. INDS warranty good so far..but diagnosis at 22hrs! i doubt they will cover.

Last edited by VendettaMB; 10-08-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM

2003 SL 500
Keyless Entry

I bought an extended warranty from Master Tech and the first time I had a problem they refused to pay, said it was a "pre-existing" condition. I canceled the policy; therefore, I have no coverage. A lead on a good insurance company would be appreciated, my car has 26,000 miles. My Mercedes dealership gave it their best shot and they are easy to deal with and the next closest dealership is 150 miles so I hesitate to complain too loud. My next car will be a Lexus SC430; meantime, I have to deal with the problem until I can get rid of the SL 500 without losing the bank. Thanks for all the input and to the originator of this thread, as the word spreads Mercedes will have a hard time selling their product, that's the good and bad news because unfortunately we own one. I'm taking a print out of this discussion to my dealer, thanks again.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BENZGR
I bought an extended warranty from Master Tech and the first time I had a problem they refused to pay, said it was a "pre-existing" condition. I canceled the policy; therefore, I have no coverage. A lead on a good insurance company would be appreciated, my car has 26,000 miles. My Mercedes dealership gave it their best shot and they are easy to deal with and the next closest dealership is 150 miles so I hesitate to complain too loud. My next car will be a Lexus SC430; meantime, I have to deal with the problem until I can get rid of the SL 500 without losing the bank. Thanks for all the input and to the originator of this thread, as the word spreads Mercedes will have a hard time selling their product, that's the good and bad news because unfortunately we own one. I'm taking a print out of this discussion to my dealer, thanks again.
Email me and I will Frwd a ext warranty contact info. The company I use is INDS. They have been good so far. Covered strut(3800$cdn) I paid about 500$ on that I think as they disputed MB time to do job, but after a talk with them and review they agreed to refund me 274$. They replaced tranny mounts that MB found were shot while doing this battery issue. I will hopefully know in a few hours a) car fixed. B) how much warranty covered of it. C) also my pass turn signal housing went and MB had to fix that also..so I will post results.

My dealer did mention somethjg about my keyless TrACK?!? I guess cards are asssigned a program track and mine was messed up?!? Not sure I will find out today and frwd info. I'm lucky we have several MB dealers here to choose from. This one has great reviews and Jay the service guy as well.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM

SL 500
Email me and I will Frwd a ext warranty contact info. The company I use is INDS. They have been good so far. Covered strut(3800$cdn) I paid about 500$ on that I think as they disputed MB time to do job, but after a talk with them and review they agreed to refund me 274$. They replaced tranny mounts that MB found were shot while doing this battery issue. I will hopefully know in a few hours a) car fixed. B) how much warranty covered of it. C) also my pass turn signal housing went and MB had to fix that also..so I will post results.

My dealer did mention somethjg about my keyless TrACK?!? I guess cards are asssigned a program track and mine was messed up?!? Not sure I will find out today and frwd info. I'm lucky we have several MB dealers here to choose from. This one has great reviews and Jay the service guy as well.
If you guys need some insights ext-warranties, drop me a line.
I have one of the better ones.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM

I have INDS and they have been great so far..replaced rear strut, tranny mount..NOW dealing with my battery issue. it billed out to $4200! as 13hrs of Diagnosis and 8 or so to install PLud 920$ for EIS, plus the rear SAM etc...i know most dont cover diagnosis but they will cover a reasonable amount..but 13hrs i think they might fight abit...cars been there Sept.17th(still there) so i got my figers crossed. total hrs were 22hrs i think @ 125/hr plus tax(12%)
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 PM

SL 500
I have INDS and they have been great so far..replaced rear strut, tranny mount..NOW dealing with my battery issue. it billed out to $4200! as 13hrs of Diagnosis and 8 or so to install PLud 920$ for EIS, plus the rear SAM etc...i know most dont cover diagnosis but they will cover a reasonable amount..but 13hrs i think they might fight abit...cars been there Sept.17th(still there) so i got my figers crossed. total hrs were 22hrs i think @ 125/hr plus tax(12%)

If your battery is replaced under ext warranty, then I would be amazed, because that is considered a wear/tear item, unless, the battery become detective for some reason. $4200 is quite normal.. hopefully all will be covered and nothing from your pocket
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
email more info regarding ext-warranties.
thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 PM

s550 4matic sold, BMW X05 4.8I,1999s320 sold, 2006 sl500
Talking

Originally Posted by teeth

Brake
Probably
Disconnect
Visit

I stunk at engwish also......
Old 08-06-2016, 12:11 AM

2006 Mercedes SL500
I just purchased a 2006 MB SL500 60K miles on it. I am finding out there is LOTS of issues with it. I have been reading posts on why their key-less entry isn't working. My lock switch on the dash locks and unlocks the door just fine. I changed the batteries in both my remotes and then took my car to the local dealer in Wilsonville OR. The dealer replaces the batteries again with no effect. From what I am reading on these posts and possibly leaving the car at the dealer for $ 140.00 an hr to try to figure out what's wrong..with no guarantees on fixing it. Well.... I feel much screwed....and can't help but wonder why I purchased this POS. I have bought an extended warranty but it's only for drive train. I can't help wonder why Mercedes is still in business. I have just signed up to this forum and will be writing posts on all the other issues this car has.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-06-2016, 12:53 AM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Your key emits both a radio signal and an infrared signal to lock or unlock the vehicle. Obviously the radio signal path is not functioning, so try the infrared by holding the key up to the receiver in the driver door handle. If that works, then one of the components in the radio signal path are probably faulty: the right antenna amplifier module, overhead control panel, or associated wiring. If the infrared also does not work, then perhaps both keys or the electronic ignition switch is faulty -- unfortunately, I know of no test for these.

Since your problem is a general Mercedes problem and not specific to the R230 model, I suggest you post in the "Tech Help" forum at Peachparts where it is likely to be read by at least one professional M-B tech.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:33 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Does your car have KeylessGo (Start/Stop button on the gearshift)? If so, does it work, or is it also malfunctioning? If you do not have KeylessGO, or you do and it's working, but you just can't lock/unlock via the key fob buttons, then I suspect it's an antenna amp issue. If you have KeylessGo and it does not work, then I suspect an issue with the EIS (electronic ignition switch).

The antenna for RCL (Remote Control Locking, i.e. function of the buttons on the key fob) is located in the front windshield and processed by an antenna amp located in the dash. This amp sends its signal to the OCP (overhead control panel) which communicates with the EIS which then then authorizes the key. The antenna amps are powered by fuse 57 (rear panel) so it may be worth checking that, although it powers several other key functions so I doubt it's the issue. If the windshield has been replaced, the installer could have failed to properly connect the wiring, or may have damaged it.
The following users liked this post:
JaySee56 (04-15-2017)
Old 08-07-2016, 11:01 PM

2006 Mercedes SL500
Thanks for the help. The key does lock and unlock the door if I point the remote directly into the door handle receiver. I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and the rear fuse box behind the drivers side seat and all were good. I'm not sure what or how I can go any further to check the RCL or OCP. Since I am reluctant to have have a Mercedes Dealer spend hrs and hrs of diagnoses time at $140 and hr. to try to figure it out....now I'm feeling the need to buy some more Vaseline

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Keyless entry not working