SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Changing Headlight Bulbs NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Changing Headlight Bulbs NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok, so the headlight bulb change on the driver side is not a problem at all, 2 min and it is in. Now the other side is . How am I going to get my hand in there??? My hamster wont help, and I can't figure out how to do it without having to rip the headlight assembly out and the front bumper. I did search this, and guys write "it can be done", how is that people? how can it get done? I could not even get the dust cover out of there. PLEASE HELP. Usually people don't reply to threads asking them how to do this but we will see what happens to this one.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM
gqa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' sl 500
yea that passenger side bulb is a b!tch!!

either get someone with really small hands who knows what it entails or your gonna have to do what i did which is to take the headlight assembly off.

disconnect the bumper from the fender and take all of the screws holding the headlight down, including the one on the side of the assembly in front of the tire well. then you have to work the headlight out.

maybe someone with a better method will chime in. good luck
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gqa
yea that passenger side bulb is a b!tch!!

either get someone with really small hands who knows what it entails or your gonna have to do what i did which is to take the headlight assembly off.

disconnect the bumper from the fender and take all of the screws holding the headlight down, including the one on the side of the assembly in front of the tire well. then you have to work the headlight out.

maybe someone with a better method will chime in. good luck
Thanks a bunch for the response, at least someone is telling me what they tried to do and how it worked. My girlfriend has really tiny hands but I'm afraid my new HID will be working as a turn signal if I let her do the hooking up. hehehehe. Anyway thanks again.

Kamil
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
My girlfriend has really tiny hands but I'm afraid my new HID will be working as a turn signal if I let her do the hooking up.
I hope she never reads the forums, or she may do this intentionally when you're not looking!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mlandis
I hope she never reads the forums, or she may do this intentionally when you're not looking!
Didn't think it all the way over did I ?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 PM

s500
Dont hate

LOL. I'm a woman and changed my own bulb. The trick was to do it with a work light so you can see the tight spot. Stand to the side of the car slightly so that you can get a good look at how the hooks fit over the light to hold into place. Take a screw driver and cover it with a few layers of masking tape to make it less harsh. I use that to help push the metal clips that hold the light in place back down.

Hope that helps.

Now the side mirror lights...PLEASE HELPP
Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by squireg
LOL. I'm a woman and changed my own bulb. The trick was to do it with a work light so you can see the tight spot. Stand to the side of the car slightly so that you can get a good look at how the hooks fit over the light to hold into place. Take a screw driver and cover it with a few layers of masking tape to make it less harsh. I use that to help push the metal clips that hold the light in place back down.

Hope that helps.

The side mirror lights I have no clue how to change but I decided to pay the stealership $50 to change the low beam. I will do the fog lights myself
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 AM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by squireg
Funny you mention that, just did that a month ago. You need to remove the outer housing from the mirror mechanism to get to the screws attaching the lights:
  1. Pull the mirror glass off the motor. The motor is mounted at the center of the mirror glass with four tabs (one at each corner of the motor). I was able to get to the tops ones pretty easily by just pointing the mirror down.
  2. Remove the three screws holding the motor to the mirror housing. The tech docs say to disconnect the electrical connectors from the motor, which makes it a lot easier to remove the housing.
  3. Remove the three screws attaching the housing to the mirror arm.
  4. Remove the housing itself from the mirror arm. There is a lip at the top of the hinge that catches on the mirror arm. I found that it helped tilting the housing down a little as I pulled it over the arm's top. Removing the housing also disconnects the light from the connector at the bottom of the housing, which adds some resistance to the removal process.
  5. Remove the light itself by removing the two screws from the housing and sliding it out.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Can anyone tell me exactly how the bulb is supposed to be secured into the housing? I don't know if there is a piece missing in there or something but i can't get it to lock into place. Is there a special way that the circular black plastic piece has to go in?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Originally Posted by Late
Can anyone tell me exactly how the bulb is supposed to be secured into the housing? I don't know if there is a piece missing in there or something but i can't get it to lock into place. Is there a special way that the circular black plastic piece has to go in?

Ok, so i see now that the piece that locks the bulb into the housing has one of its three prongs broken off. does anyone know what that piece is called so i can order a new one?