SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: What do you think of a Starless Grille?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think of a Starless Grille?

from reswest.com

Last edited by PoorBoy; 02-13-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:03 AM

Its the equivalent of a $65K Rolex Presidential without the diamonds. The star is the focal point of the SL, as are the diamonds on a rolex. The grille does the SL a disservice..

Last edited by internet_mafia; 02-14-2003 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by internet_mafia
Its the equivalent of a $65K Rolex Presidential without the diamonds. The star is the focal point of the SL, as are the diamonds on a rolex. The grille does the SL a disservice..
Hmmm... if that's the belief, then does the STAR on the grille of a $25k C-Coupe degrade the $95k SL?
Old 02-14-2003, 02:30 AM

What's the relationship between a C and a SL? The C-coupe grill is smaller than the SL's grill and is not even interchangeable with the SL's. Also, we are talking about a modification to a particular car, the SL, which you've asked for opinions on. The other MB models that wear a star grill have nothing to do with each other. I don't see what you were trying to prove by the referrence to a $25K car.

To drive my point home, removing the classic and elegant star from the SL is the same as buying a home on a waterfront lot only to put up a wooden fence around the perimeter of the property. Let me translate this for you:

You don't buy an expensive item only to remove what helps define it.

The BIG STAR in the front and center of the grill has always been a trademark of the SL. Let it be...

Last edited by internet_mafia; 02-14-2003 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:09 AM

What's the relationship between a C and a SL? The C-coupe grill is smaller than the SL's grill and is not even interchangeable with the SL's. Also, we are talking about a modification to a particular car, the SL, which you've asked for opinions on. The other MB models that wear a star grill have nothing to do with each other. I don't see what you were trying to prove by the referrence to a $25K car.

To drive my point home, removing the classic and elegant star from the SL is the same as buying a home on a waterfront lot only to put up a wooden fence around the perimeter of the property. Let me translate this for you:

You don't buy an expensive item only to remove what helps define it.

The BIG STAR in the front and center of the grill has always been a trademark of the SL. Let it be...
First, I made a mistake registering in this forum! What an unfriendly response! It must be that time of the month!

Relationship between a C and SL? --> same question to you regarding YOUR example of the ROLEX and the SL.

Interchangability with the C and SL grilles --> YOU made that assumption, I did not, nor was I proving a point.

About your point being driven home -> NOT because YOUR own personal belief says so, it does NOT mean that others feel the same way like you.

About buying an expensive item only to remove what helps define it, most people know that its a Mercedes Benz SL... I DO NOT FEEL THAT I NEED TO BRAG ABOUT IT.

Removing the BIG STAR as a trademark on my SL, its MY car, NOT YOURS.

All I was looking for was "yey" or "ney" without the sarcasm.

Post all you want. This is my last post. Bye now! :p
Old 02-14-2003, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I should say something. I'm funding the grill project for the R230 from Autowerks Express.

I've always preferred the understated look. No recognizable logos and badges, so when people take a look, they'll be confused. Plus, I believe a black grill on a black car is the perfect match. When looking at the OEM grill, the attention is drawn toward the star, which is not something I'm going for.

The grill should be complete in about a month. It will be made out of carbon fiber. I, of course, will take pictures and post them up. Autowerks Express and The Wheel Supply will both be carrying the grill.

Bah, long day, sentence structure all effed up
Old 02-14-2003, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Originally posted by jl88
I guess I should say something. I'm funding the grill project for the R230 from Autowerks Express.

I've always preferred the understated look. No recognizable logos and badges, so when people take a look, they'll be confused. Plus, I believe a black grill on a black car is the perfect match. When looking at the OEM grill, the attention is drawn toward the star, which is not something I'm going for.

The grill should be complete in about a month. It will be made out of carbon fiber. I, of course, will take pictures and post them up. Autowerks Express and The Wheel Supply will both be carrying the grill.

Bah, long day, sentence structure all effed up

Sounds pretty exciting.

I personally like the "star-less" grill. The SL should have the standard grill painted in body color, but still retain the star. Like this one
Old 02-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Bilal

I agree totally with Internet mafia, and he was not flaming just proving his point. You PoorBoy kind of drifted form the subject and question.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:31 PM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Yes, we are in the R&D stage to make the grille for JL88.

Hand-laid Carbon Fiber and painted gel-coat will be offered.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:55 PM

W126 1991 350SDL
geez, what's with the obnoxiousness. very sad to see.

i'm not a huge fan of the GIGANTIC star in the r230 grille. however i'm not convinced the star-less grille makes the aesthetic grade either in my book.

the good news is that we can each do whatever the heck we want with our own cars :-)

doody!
Old 02-14-2003, 05:43 PM

Poorboy has the emotional status of an 11 year old boy. He first asks for opinions, and when given, he then takes my input and applies it to a totally different argument. He compared the before/after look of the starless SL to a C class with the SL-like grill?????

In no way shape or form does my OPINION speak for the rest of this community. But let's not forget that HE asked for my opinion. It's one thing to ask for someone's opinion, but its another thing to ask for someone's opinion and then attack it.

If Poorboy is so terrible at communicating, then he does need to get the hell out of here! I've never seen anyone so sensitive. I got attacked by the moderator when I shamed the S600, calling it a waste of money, but I'm still here!!! I moved on, just like I am about to do now...

Last edited by internet_mafia; 02-14-2003 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Bilal

Was it Accord's S600?

Jeeze not again man, Accord has been really hard over teh past few weeks,

and what you got against the S600, its the best car in the world, all the world's Goverments will tell you that
Old 02-14-2003, 07:12 PM

I was arguing against the 600 calling it a waste of money since the only major difference between it and the 500 is an engine. I am not big on speed and having the fastest car on the road, therefore to me the 600 isn't worth the extra 40K. IMO, the 600 should look very different from the 5 and 4 to justify the steep inclination. Besides, I want a car that will retain most of its value when i decide to liquidate it. Unfortunately, the 600 doesn't do this.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Can't say I like the grille without the star, it's a defining characteristic of the SL which goes back to the earliest cars of the 50's and the star integrated into the grille has always defined the more sporting Mercedes-Benzes.

I participated in a car clinic a few months ago, where they had an SL, 911, SC430 and were seeking our comments on a new Jaguar/Aston Martin. All the cars were the same colour, had all their identity removed, no badges, no logos, blank wheel centres and so on, and it was interesting how bland and uninteresting the cars looked. That was the intention of course, just to compare them without the branding getting in the way. If you strip an SL of its grille and other badging, the car will lose presence on the road, in the parking lot, in your driveway. Maybe that's what you want to do, but why spend so much money doing it? There are a thousand and one totally boring, anonymous, tedious cars churned out in Detroit by their thousand every day and if you want to blend into the background, I'm sure one of these will fit the bill nicely.

It's true that we can do whatever we like to our cars, we certainly see enough examples of excrutiatingly bad taste in this forum from a variety of companies, of which this seems to be just another. It's a mistake to expect that every new variant will receive an enthusiastic response from all quarters, least of all in the future from someone buying the car secondhand.

If you really want to disguise the origin of the car, go ahead, do it, but I recommend you keep the original parts so you can return it to stock appearance when you want to sell. Oh, and your plain-Jane grille will be worthless. $2000 (?) down the drain...
Old 02-16-2003, 03:53 AM

You are right, the star is part of the SL. The heritage is there But it will be just a small part of my modifications. All I can say is, wait and see!
Old 02-16-2003, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Not valid for a car with Distronic of course because the radar trnsceiver is mounted within the star and covered with a black platic dome.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
Whoever it was that designed the original Mercedes Benz Star was truly an artist. Such a bold statement crafted with such fine and delicate lines! Who would want to take the inscrutable smile from the Mona Lisa? I'll take the Star.
jeff
Old 02-19-2003, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
A three pointed star, one for each of the elements Land, Sea and Air. Must be one of the most recognisable logos in the world. Compare that to the tired old-fashioned "Ford" script in a blue oval.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Rolex Presidential
Yuck!!
Old 02-19-2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Xristo
Yuck!!
May I ask what kind of time peice you have?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't know about the guy above, but I wear a President. With no diamonds, I'm not a pimp. And my grille has a Star.

(ducking)

- Dave