SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Any 1st year breakdowns Designo vs. Base vs. Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any 1st year breakdowns Designo vs. Base vs. Sport

Hi, Curious if anybody out there knows how many of each model will be produced in 2003.

Was thinking about picking up a set of Designo Launch wheels for my 500. It seems I'm not seeing many of the Designo cars any more -I'm seeing a lot of regular Silver 500s though-. Curious how "rare" the Designo is now. -- John
Old 02-21-2003, 04:25 PM

You can find several Designo SL's on autotrader.com. However, it is unclear how relavent those ad posting are. But I would stay away from any launch edition becuase they are known to have the initial quality problems.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:39 PM

Hi,

I'm not looking for a Designo car, but rather for Designo wheels for my non-launch 500. Curious what % of the first year cars have those wheels ie. are Designo. Also, those Designo wheels are a regular metal silver, not the Car body Designo Silver.. correct? Kind of hard to tell from pictures. -- John
Old 02-21-2003, 07:12 PM

Being that most of the designo cars are on 1st and 2nd-hand dealer's lots, it is going to be pretty hard to obtain those rims without resorting to a MB dealer. You can try looking on autotrader for a private seller of a designo and negotiate with them. As far as a %, my guess would be 7-12%. Designo silver is one of those colors that has to grow on you. It's not very popular, compared to silver or black. I am in Jax, Florida and I have only seen about 2 launch editions, but I have seen several silver ones.

You are correct, those rims are alloy. Mercedes' standard rim finish is alloy.