SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Thinking about getting into a SL500!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting into a SL500!

I'm coming from a E46 M3 which I recently sold due to all the smg issues and cracked subframe recall. I always wanted a SL500 (R230) but couldn't afford it at the sticker price. Now, that the market is so soft I think its time for me to make a jump. I want to know are their any serious issues like the transmission, Air shocks, or ABC pumps going bad like on the CL500? I already know these repairs can exceeds into the thousands.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 PM

So no one is going to answer me? Wow.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
From prior posts. Search a bit, there's plenty of advice.

----

As a relatively new owner myself, I'm no expert but I did a bit of research prior to my purchase (05 SL500) and found a few things to check for. The ABC suspension is known to leak, including leaking struts. Check for oil on the rubber boots around the struts, and if possible if the car has been in the same spot for 24 hours, look for leaks/spills. The ABC pump is another problem area; though I don't know a good way to check this.

Another known weak spot is the solenoid release from park on the automatic transmission. Unfortunately, there's no good way to check this other than ensure the shifter moves easily and repeatedly out of park when you press the brake pedal. Listen for a solid, quiet "thunk" from the shifter. A plastic lever is the weak spot, and when it breaks, you'll be stuck in park with no easy way to remove the console trim.

Drivetrains are generally reliable in the SL500, I didn't see anything other than the ordinary stuff to check. You'll find many examples of the R230 with 50k+ miles, which I take as a good sign. My service advisor said you want to see an R230 with little in the service history; these cars are either Jekyl or Hyde. Some seem to have lots of little problems, others are trouble-free for years. Do get the VIN and have a local Mercedes dealer print the service/repair history.

Do check the top operates smoothly, I read of occasional problems with the hydraulic pump that runs everything. Seals can be an issue, look for good rubber and evidence of leaks. The rear windows can show peeling of the covering at the sides, and my car was in Florida for 3 years and showed the beginning of corrosion in several areas, but nothing serious. With the trunk open, look at the metal below the rear window all along the bottom edge. Good spot to check for corrosion and whether your car was garaged, etc.

The version of COMAND in the 03/04s can have the screen go very dim, and the clocks are a known problem area - they stay dim and can't be read in the bright light/daytime. Also check that the release buttons are working on the rear storage bins, these can also go off. The IR receiver modules in the doors also go out; check that the top operates fully by pressing and holding the open button on the remote from 5-10 ft away, pointing at the IR receiver on the door. If you can't get the top to go down (or up), either the door module is broken or the remote battery is weak (look for the red LED on the remote). Generally speaking, this is a pretty good model. Leaking suspension is the big thing, and leaking struts will cost $4k+ to replace at a minimum.

Keyless Go seems to be on about half the R230s from 03; Parktronic is less common and the smart cruise even less. Desirable options are sat radio (not sure if that was an option on the 03/04s) and bluetooth. I retrofitted both to my 05, wasn't cheap.

Anyway, that's a few thoughts that come to mind. I'm sure others can contribute as well.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:52 PM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
id stick to a m3. i had BMW all my life, got a 2003 sl500, and its a very finicky. As you can see by the list above there are too mnay things to look for..dealer cant fix..and too hard to fix yrself. If you want trouble free, ge NON SMG m3. save yrself the headache unless you like to always deal with yr car..even if only small issues.