SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Thoughts About SL for One Pondering Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 320 coupe, Black
Thoughts About SL for One Pondering Purchase

As an Owner of a '02 CLK 320, who gets oustanding service from the MB dealer -- it impacts my decision to stay with MB -- I am pondering the purchase of a 2008 SL 550 towards the end of '10.

I will also be looking at an '10 or '11 (if available) Porsche Cayman.

I anticipate the cost of the cars to be about the same.

All things even (kinda, sorta) I'm torn between continuing to drive the MB line, which I absolutely prefer, and moving to a new brand of automobile. Other issues are warranty on a 3 yr old MB versus warranty on a new car. I also intend to keep the car about 6 years.

I'd appreciate SL owner's comments (about how great the car is) and any other thoughts you'd be so kind to pass along. Even better if you have past experience with Porsche.

I'm not a car fanatic, just a single midde-aged professional (architect) who's ALWAYS driven coupes (for the sportiness of the look) and appreciates good design in all things.

Oddly enough, I have been VERY disappointed with the overall design of many of the MB recent models ('09 onward) and that's my reason to stick to model year '08.

Had the new E-class coupe looked better, I would purchase it, today, no questions asked.

If I had to do over, I would trade my '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser for a used MB G-wagon (for my surf-mobile at the NC shore) and purchase the Porsche as my coupe (for in-town driving, in the mountains of VA).
Old 01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I made a similar purchase: a 2003 SL55 in 2005. I'm now going into my fifth year of ownership with no regrets. I have no plans to swap it out for another car because I've not found another car that fits my needs any better.

You might also want to put the CLK63 and CLK63 Black Series on your list. They would have similarities to your 2002 CLK, of course, but the 6.2L AMG engine makes for a very different driving experience.

Good luck with the search!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
one thing to consider is interior space. Depends on how tall you are and how you'd like to sit, Porsche can be tight. SL's on the otherhand will fit a tall 6 footer with seat pushed back and driving with one hand. Head will not hit the ceiling when going over a bump. If you do a lot of driving, SL's are also more comfortable. If you like handling on winding roads and don't mind the rough ride, Porsche is better.
I like the good balance of power, space, comfort, and the convertible roof of the SL. The handling is really the thing that not up to par.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL350
I've driven the Cayman in a 2009 Porsche World Roadshow Tour day (even won the slalom trophy against an experienced Porsche racing driver and several other longterm owners), and enjoyed it immensely.

Then I sank back into the comfort of my 03 SL600 and had a luxury, cosseted, 2-hour high speed drive home from the track.

The two are as different apart as any cars can be. The SL combines luxury cruising with top class handling. The Cayman rides hard but well, has a basic looking interior, and shares a Boxsterish pedigree.

I would buy both for their different personalities. But if I had to choose between the Merc and any other car, the SL is a no-contest, hands down winner. Every day I drive this marvel of mechanical engineering, I enjoy it more. Very few cars do that to me.

But I think by your comments you've already made your choice!

--------------------------
2003 Mercedes SL600 (black/dark grey)
2003 Aston Martin Vanquish (silver/black)
2004 Lexus RX330 (silver/black) wife's

ex SL500, Lexus LS600hL, Daimler...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM

2010 E350
Two completely different cars, better get lots of test driving in so you know what your going to be living with.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
off topic, Hey Blazeone, what wheels are those? They AMG style wheels with a deep lip? If you don't mind, can you share the details of that set with me like make, price and where you got it from and if you are happy with them. I am about to order a set without lips, but yours look pretty good too! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:02 PM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by erichen
off topic, Hey Blazeone, what wheels are those? They AMG style wheels with a deep lip? If you don't mind, can you share the details of that set with me like make, price and where you got it from and if you are happy with them. I am about to order a set without lips, but yours look pretty good too! Thanks!

PM sent.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 PM

'14 SL550
I agree with Ken, they are two different cars.

I actually own both. A 2006 Cayman S, and a 2007 SL550. I love both but for different reasons. I could not drive the Cayman everyday ( I bought it new in March of '06 and I only have 13K miles), it is really a fun toy, if you want to carve up smooth curves buy one - nothing beats it. The SL you could drive everyday if you wanted to. I just bought the SL recently, but it is a joy to drive and adds a bit of practicality and comfort that the Cayman lacks.