SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2004 SL600 bbiturbo - turbo problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1975 Mercedes 350SL V8 (just sold the SL600)
2004 SL600 bbiturbo - turbo problems?

Hi there,

I have just received my car back from repairs after a faultly power steering problems now resolved.

As I was driving back on the motorway I noticed the Engine Light on the dashboard lit up. I also noticed as I would hold down on the acceleration after 60mph, expecting the frightening acceleration I expect, the car accelerates as if its like any other standard vehicle.

Instead at 80mph it judders. When I do eventually slow down (e.g a at a junction), and then move off, it feels like Ive moved off directly from 4th gear.

All is back to normal, when I switch off the engine & restart the car, and I am able to get back the fast acceleration, but then all goes wrong after 60mph when I accelerate after the intended turbo lag.

Im not sure whether the mechanic has illegally swapped my turbo with a damaged one, or whether there is a genuine electrical issue? The reason why I say illegal is because he has had my car for 2 months, because he failed to fix the power steering pump (under warranty), so instead the seller agreed to buy the original part directly from mercedes last week, which wasa eventually fitted.

Some advice would be helpful. Also would like to know why the Engine Light on my dash does not disappear - is this directly related to my main problem?

Many thanks