SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Miles to Kilometers - UK Spec

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustard - sorry if I missed your explanation but what was wrong with your cluster? Was it that it wouldnt convert from mph to kph and should have done?
Old 06-12-2003, 06:44 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Mustard - sorry if I missed your explanation but what was wrong with your cluster? Was it that it wouldnt convert from mph to kph and should have done?

Paul: Yes, thats what started the thread and got me a little annoyed.

Nasty:

My local MB garage picked up the bill - £460 for the cluster plus 2 1/2 hours fitting etc.

They had a UK supplied car in stock with exactly the same problem so reasoned it was a fault, not a plot against imports. I now have a permanent digital KPH readout just above the milometer, while a click of the up button gets the trip mileage. But I still don't have any way to switch from KPH to MPH which is what the manual says you should be able to do.
Attached Thumbnails Miles to Kilometers - UK Spec-kph-speedo.jpg  
Old 06-12-2003, 12:54 PM

SL500
Bugger me. I don't believe it! Good skills Mustard for finally finishing this thread (after 50 odd posts!).

What annoys me is that the many MB people I spoke to swore blind it couldn't be done and it was normal not to have km/h etc.etc.

Where is the recall?? I guess they're hoping most people won't care.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2003, 08:59 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by NastyAluQuadra
Bugger me. I don't believe it! Good skills Mustard for finally finishing this thread (after 50 odd posts!).
Cheers
Nasty, not the proper forum to be making suggestions like that! Declined, thank you, but you are right about MB messing around. The technicians appear to go to the right meetings, but don't seem to listen to anything that goes on.

I really did have to persist to get a result, and repeated the story several times to various chiefs & indians. It leaves a lot of illegal SL's on the market - chances of MB getting fined or a recall are slim I'd say.

I'll bet the thread isn't finished - BlueSL will get his done and we'll get the definitive answer

Last edited by Mustard; 06-13-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Just spoke to Mustard on the phone and now I'm clear what this thread is all about. Sorry for being so dim!

My car already has mph analogue and kph digital displays. It would be nice to be able to make the analogue display match the country you're driving and the manual says you can switch (which would presumably activate the kph legend) but there's no entry in the menu, contrary to what the manual says, which brings us back I think to Richard's "Rest of the World Setting".

Seems odd they needed to replace the cluster though, I would have thought all of this would be done by configurable software...
Old 06-13-2003, 11:09 AM

SL500
I've emailed my dealer with the info, and suggested they may want to sort something out for me (rather than me chasing them for solutions/answers - we'll see what happens).

Just popped into my local Porsche garage - been thinking about replacing the SL in 6-12mths with a C4S. Very nice looking bit of kit. The interior is a bit plasticy though. Anyone any experience? Wheres the best (cheapest) place to buy a RHD one, and whats the wait like? The GE list price seems to be higher than than in the UK at the current exchange rate! I was hoping that as the new model is nearish, I may get a discount off the current model - no such luck though I was offered 3% off a LHD model. I know this ain't a Porsche forum, but figured that 911s were probably on many SL owners shopping list too, so some of you chaps may know all about 'em.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The best 911 for me was the last of the air-cooled ones - a 993 - I've never liked the 996, especially the nose and the interior. I had one of the original Carrera 4's (964) and it certainly provides that extra measure of handling security compared to the two wheel drive, at the expense of slightly dulled steering response and performance due to the extra weight. I could drive that car in a way which I would never dream of driving my 355.

I suppose many would think of a 911 as being more of a true sports car than the SL, but a recent comparative review in the UK between the SL, 911, Maserati and Jaguar XK8 put the SL out front. Depends what you want from a car of course but the 911 was criticised for its lack of luggage space, tacky interior (it looks so dated compared to the SL) and far from relaxed freeway cruising, redeemed only by it being a lot of fun on the twisties.

The SL remains for me the most extraordinarily complete car and it's a fact that 911 sales are down in the US. Maybe, Porsche's biggest market are tiring of the endless re-hashing of a (flawed) 40 year old design, maybe it's the 9-11 connotation, maybe it's the growing choice as this price point.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:29 PM

SL500
Ha ha ha

...you'll like this.

I picked up an SL350 to replace my SL500 this week (I'll comment more on ABC yes-no in a bit).

Anyway, having emailed the dealer weeks ago to make sure the MPH-KPM thing was right, I turned up, asked that question and they said "yes, yes, its OK, no problem".

As you can guess the car was not right but fortunately the email I sent to the dealer (with the photo from higher up this thread clearly showing KPH digitally), just happened to have been printed out and was in my paper work, so I showed them the photo, showed them the car and it dissappeared for about 30 mins. It returned soon thereafter with the KPH reading showing. So no new cluster was required and it was an easy fix. Didn't hang around to find out how they did it as I was in a hurry and had had enough of their "competance" - no apology or anything. The sales person who I bought the car from didn't even come downstairs and bother to say hello when I collected the car. What a dealership....... To be fair though the MB tech I met was very friendly / good.

Anyway. Anyone have the interior in the photo and/or think it looks fantastic?
Attached Thumbnails Miles to Kilometers - UK Spec-sand-chestnut.jpg  
Old 09-04-2003, 04:20 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Great choice of new car, Nasty, and can't wait for your impressions, but does the analogue display switch to KPH? Was it a UK supplied car?

I like that interior, perhaps the wood is too light but the wood wheel and gear lever give the interior a lift - wood just on the console looks a bit lonely.

Last edited by Mustard; 09-04-2003 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:23 AM

Re: Ha ha ha

...you'll like this.

Anyway. Anyone have the interior in the photo and/or think it looks fantastic?
Lovely colour combo. Btw which dealer was it - sounds worth avoiding!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:14 PM

SL500
MPH-KPH

It was Belgium supplied, like my SL500, so basically had the exact same problem that started this thread. The dealer has had 6 months to work out of fix for my SL500 and still has not bothered to do anything - I got bored with asking them & MB Germany in the end and left it. I'm sort of used to working out the KPH automatically in my head now - a useful skill ??!

The dealership is the biggest one I think; called Mercedes Europa. They are the same ones who suggested my warranty was only valid in Belgium when the roof broke. Totally false and a rather shocking lack of knowledge about the product. I suspect its perhaps because they are so big that their service is so poor.

It was interesting to find out that a new cluster wasn't required though (at least in my case).

Anyway, I just tried to buy a 6310i today to fit in th SL350 and the local shop (which had them at 249EUR last week) has stopped selling them as its obsolete! I know I can still find somewhere that will sell it, but is there an imminent replacement that will be a FFF replacement? Sounds like I should either wait or grab a 6310i while I can - any suggestions? When I collected it, the MB Tech mentioned that I could get a UHI adaptor fitted for Seimens or Motorola etc.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:36 PM

SL500
And another thing...

... I asked them to debadge both the SL500 and SL350 at the time of order. Guess what - they didn't even get that right!!! TWICE! And they left off "massaging seats" on the SL500; turns out I was not so bothered about that, but what if they'd left off Auto, or the AMGs. Could have ben a shocker!!

I've even had problems with UK dealers; a central London dealer managed to put the wrong wheels on my C32. Not even an apology.

Never had a problem with a BMW. A mate had his 325i SPORT delivered with the wrong wheels and BMW coughed up for a new set - no questions.

Bottom line - if you buy a Benz - BEWARE. Only rely on yourself to get the spec right and check its been done - several times and thoroughly in writing. Don't expect any help getting e.g. UK spec correct for instance and if you trust a foreign dealer to do this you are courting disaster.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:18 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Re: And another thing...

... I asked them to debadge both the SL500 and SL350 at the time of order. Guess what - they didn't even get that right!!! TWICE!
Bottom line - if you buy a Benz - BEWARE. Only rely on yourself to get the spec right and check its been done - several times and thoroughly in writing. Don't expect any help getting e.g. UK spec correct for instance and if you trust a foreign dealer to do this you are courting disaster.
Nooo! You aren't driving a badged SL350 are you? I couldn't bear the shame

You can get the badge off with dental floss and a bit of liquid soap if you work carefully.

So right about trusting a Benz dealer abroad - you really do have to go over the spec constantly, especially re-checking whats standard in the UK.

By the way - UK prices rise in October by 2.9% so should help resale values which are dipping rather quickly now summers over....
Old 09-05-2003, 10:35 AM

SL500
Badge removal

I've wondered about that. Do you just work away the glue which holds on the letters in a sawing action with the dental floss, leaving a sort of adhesive blob that just washes off? Any marks left?

Interesting about theprice going up. That'll help the SL500 negotiations nicely!! Sounds like you follow residuals as doggedly as I do. We should swap experience via PM.

PS I downloaded the 2003 Europe DX nav CD the other day from KazaaLite. 310Mb, but well worth the download! Motorways and main roads only of course, but covers nearly everywhere!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:56 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Re: Badge removal

I've wondered about that. Do you just work away the glue which holds on the letters in a sawing action with the dental floss, leaving a sort of adhesive blob that just washes off? Any marks left?
Haven't done it but believe its quite easy - you need to keep the thread against the letters, not the paint, then wash off the glue with a hydrocarbon solvent like Acetone, Toluene, Styrene. Thought there was a thread on the forum somewhere about it. I had to buy the badge afterwards - delete means "not supplied", not just "left off the car".

Interesting about theprice going up. That'll help the SL500 negotiations nicely!! Sounds like you follow residuals as doggedly as I do. We should swap experience via PM.
Theres a broad price rise in October, but whether the SL500 and SL55 are included I don't know, since they had a rise earlier this year. Guess the SL350 might be included as it was kept at the launch price when the others rose. Residuals for all Mercs are softening - overproduction I guess.

PS I downloaded the 2003 Europe DX nav CD the other day from KazaaLite. 310Mb, but well worth the download! Motorways and main roads only of course, but covers nearly everywhere!
Ahh now how good is that! An hour on broadband I guess. I have the French & UK CD's but could do with the Europe DX, except I don't think it drills down to street level or does it? (er, just read that you said it doesn't...)

Last edited by Mustard; 09-05-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:43 PM

SL500
6310i back on sale at my "cheap" shop......

.....but now its 329EUR instead of 249EUR.

Bugger this I'll get one on 12 month contract in UK.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:50 AM

Try as I might, I can't find the DX nav download location using Kazaa or BearShare.

NastyAluQuadra, do you remember the web address or the search terms you used?

Old 09-07-2003, 06:38 AM

SL500
Yes...

....I searched first using "Navigation DX". Then it appeared.

I noticed yesterday that it dissappeared, then reappeared, so keep trying - it may depend on whether the user is online.

Just tried it now and its not there. I downloaded it last Monday around 19.00 CET, just before a trip from Belgium to Munich, which was handy!

I also tried "teleatlas" (Blaupunkts name) this produced more results but many non-DX.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:46 AM

SL500
Oldrascal....

....I find it strangely reassuring that someone with a 200k GBP garage wants to rip the COMAND CDs off the net; this is on the basis I assume that you feel they are way too expensive?

If only they charged 10/20 GBP, I'd happily pay, but the 100+GBP they charge per little CD is just silly. MS Autoroute ain't that expensive is it and thats the whole of Europe down to street level.

PS Which 18"s have you got on your C32? Styling IV or III? I always wished my 01 C32AMG T had larger wheels, the stock 17" were too small. Any pictures?
Old 09-07-2003, 10:50 AM

Well, you are quite right.........I like paying for things that give me value for money in one way or another..........and updating the DX CD every year for both MBs pisses me off. So, as the MB Command navigation is such a crap product anyway with poor implementation and 10 year old graphics, a little bit of cheating is, in my opinion, rather satisfying.

As to wheels, I am not sure what model wheels are fitted but the attached picture might give you a better idea. I just wanted the car to look pretty much as discrete as delivered but just a tad more muscular.

Will keep trying the downloads.
Attached Thumbnails Miles to Kilometers - UK Spec-c32amgx.jpg  
Old 09-07-2003, 11:01 AM

SL500
Looks just right with those rims, good in obsidian too.

These I guess are the 18" Styling IV from the current CLK55. I suspect the new C55AMG with the same 376bhp CLK engine will have these rims when it arrives here next year - so yours already looks just like the new model!

I do miss my C32 estate - it was great despite the 13mpg I used to get on blast to work each morning...
Old 09-07-2003, 11:09 AM

13MPG? Well, I just bow my head in wonder....you must siperglue your throttle pedal to the floor to average that figure.

Now I went through the original rear set of 18" Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres in 9000 miles and I averaged 21.5 mpg over several thousand miles. That said, the fronts are only one third worn.

Mind you, I live in deepest Hampshire and, within 2 miles of my house, I hit my normal commute which is 25 miles of fast A road. But still ......13MPG.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:20 PM

SL500
Perhaps I should explain.

I have an 11 mile commute 90% of which is down an unresticted autobahn, hence 130+mph ish was the normal in the AMG; light traffic depending of course. Oh the joy of seeing a TT hustle up behind the bumper of my subtle C class estate giving impatient vibes while I waited for some traffic to clear infront, and once clear engaging the C32 hyperdrive. Goodbye TT. Even 911s couldn't really live with it. And the brakes were excellent.

Mind a neighbour did once beat me home in the AMG from a days snowboarding in Austria: he drives an Audi A4 TDi. This was more down to him being a mentalist behind the wheel though; I'm still rather more safety orientated.....

Still, even under more normal conditions, 19mpg was usual, and combined with the commute I got around 17mpg ish.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:13 AM

SL500
Someone was asking about the MPH-KPH thing on the AMG forum, so I bumped this up....
Old 03-21-2004, 06:13 AM

SL500
Someone was asking about the MPH-KPH thing on the AMG forum, so I bumped this up....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Miles to Kilometers - UK Spec