SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Hardtop won't come up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010 | 03:27 PM

500sl
Hardtop won't come up

This may be common but never happened before. I have a 03 500sl. When I activate the switch, the trunk opens properly and the hardtop rises about 6 inches then stops. Anyone got a fix for this?
Old 05-05-2010 | 03:56 PM

SL 550
i had a similer problem once with my 07 sl 550.. heres what happened.. i lowered my roof but than for some reason it wouldnt go up. it would go up about half way after i tried playing with the switch after turning off all the aux features as heat,radio,lights, etc.. and it froze mid way. i called me/be roadside they came lowered the roof manually somewhere by the trunk and i had it towed to the dealership at their cost cause of the warranty.. bottom line, they found that my roof moduel malfunctioned and cause of the tension from the roof being up.. the flaps on the inside broke. they replaced it under warranty but it was a really dissapoitment on the car itself but i still love it.. hope this helped.
Old 05-05-2010 | 06:22 PM

mercedes clk 230 cabriolet
Newbie myself and posted same thread today about my clk roof. Mercedes dealership couldnt fix it either!! Nor could they access boot with manual key. Sent me home with lubrcation in lock and said to return tomorrow. Problem drove me nuts then I read on this site to try the electric headrests just to make sure it wasnt the hydraulics. I raised them and heard a clunk click and new instinctively that the roof problem had righted itself. And indeed it had!! Worked fine - downside. Will now always wonder if its going to work - not a good feeling. And have discovered that manual key to boot simply doesnt work. Access can be denied to me therefore if I ever have to open, close roof manually. Hate to say this, but I never thought twice with my SAAB. Still dont know what went wrong but cant want to tell them at the dealership tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2010 | 04:36 PM

500sl
at shop now

I'll post the results of the MB repair when I get it back