SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Vario roof not working? Might be your Trunk Flap. Easy Fix DIY

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 188 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Depending on the year of production, with the roof closed the oil level should be either between two marking triangles on the reservoir, or reach an overflow screw in the flat side of the reservoir (if I'm not mistaken, that is). Two points here:
- make sure you use exactly the right kind of hydraulic fluid and noting else
- low oil level points at a leak somewhere. If the trunk is dry, try your chances up front: stick your fingers on the headliner (where the side windows meet the liner). If you feel oil there, you've got a puddle up there that wil ruin your interior as you take off the liner without precaution. First to go (wrinkle) are the velvet trims that the side windows hit when raised.
For a while keep a close look at the oil level in the reservoir after running the roof. Perhaps sticky tape the level and maintain zero tolerance, except perhaps for some air escaping from the lines.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
Depending on the year of production, with the roof closed the oil level should be either between two marking triangles on the reservoir, or reach an overflow screw in the flat side of the reservoir (if I'm not mistaken, that is). Two points here:
- make sure you use exactly the right kind of hydraulic fluid and noting else
- low oil level points at a leak somewhere. If the trunk is dry, try your chances up front: stick your fingers on the headliner (where the side windows meet the liner). If you feel oil there, you've got a puddle up there that wil ruin your interior as you take off the liner without precaution. First to go (wrinkle) are the velvet trims that the side windows hit when raised.
For a while keep a close look at the oil level in the reservoir after running the roof. Perhaps sticky tape the level and maintain zero tolerance, except perhaps for some air escaping from the lines.
ok I know the original thread is from 2012, but my roof just stopped working. I’ve followed the advice here and tried to secure the roof side flaps. Maybe it’s my age, No luck. Can anyone tell me where can I purchase this part. Thanx
Old 07-23-2021, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 380SL, '99 SL500, '03 SL500, '85 911, '79 928, '91 Alfa Spider
This write-up was a savior - and the note to remove the tops of the flaps is what ended my hour long struggle to get it back together.

Now that I've done the job though, I seem to have a bigger issue. With the roof down, my flaps are catching on the plastic covers forward of the trunk. I've tried adjusting to account for this, but nothing seems to solve it .

Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm afraid to open the roof as I don't want to damage the trim.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 sl600
Originally Posted by ljuliano
This write-up was a savior - and the note to remove the tops of the flaps is what ended my hour long struggle to get it back together.

Now that I've done the job though, I seem to have a bigger issue. With the roof down, my flaps are catching on the plastic covers forward of the trunk. I've tried adjusting to account for this, but nothing seems to solve it .

Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm afraid to open the roof as I don't want to damage the trim.

did you ever figure out this catching issue? I have a similar issue happening. I am wondering if I need to replace the support plate or just make some adjustments as it seems you have this issue even after changing the support plate.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 188 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
I don't know about yours, of course, but the flap on the photos is clearly misaligned. By loosening the screws underneath they can just be shifted across the base plate. I guess your first bet would be to align the flap with the trunk lid. The curvy line is an excellent reference. That ought to do the trick, provided nothing else is wrong.