SL/R230: Help! SL600 vs SLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s & CLK63
Help! SL600 vs SLK55?

Hi,

I am looking at getting a toy for my vacation home and have narrowed down the choices to a SL600 or an SLK55. To stay at my price point, I would need to get an '04-05 SL verses a '06-08 SLK.

They are both outstanding performance models with handling going to the SLK I would think. This is going to be an extra car so practicality isn't an issue.

Any major service issues with the 12 cylinder or problems with the 5.5's? I have a friend whose relative is selling an '04 SL600 with 39k for miles in pristine condition. He will give me a very fair price but for the same money, I could get a newer SLK so its got me thinking which would be a better choice.

Obviously the SL is quite a bit more new (I think the 04 stickered for $130K) and a loaded SLK55 is mid sixties. Both I think have the "prestigious" factor with an edge to the SL but I don't think anyone can argue the AMG SLK isn't a second class citizen.

Anyone have had both and if so, likes dislikes between them?

Thanks for the input.

David
Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM

ML55 S55
I always say AMG
Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
I have driven both and I have owned a SL600. The main differance that I see between the 600 and the 55 is driving it itself. Meaning the SL600 is a big luxurious crusier while the SLK is a cheaper car but more of little rocket with that AMG motor. The 600 has a V12 and has more power then one really needs but its a soft and calm giant and power is there when it needed.

SL600- Options, ride, luxury, looks, perfromance (I think its 0-60 in like 6ish or something).

SLK55- Looks, ride is not as good, interior is a little cheap. Where I live there both equal in being rare. You dont see them everyday. The AMG thoue is an amazing experiance that every Benz owner should drive one or ride in one.

It really comes down to what you want. Do you want AMG Performance and engineering or do you want a larger softter luxury convertable? Me personally I would buy another SL600 in a heartbeat. I have not ever owned a SLK55 but driven a couple and I would not mind one at all. I am just a taller guy and would want the bigger car.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
SL600- Options, ride, luxury, looks, perfromance (I think its 0-60 in like 6ish or something).
LOL, not in a million years. Either you're thinking of the SL500 in which 0-60 comes up in about 6 seconds, or you're not pushing the pedal to the floor. The old-school V12 did it in about 5.5-5.7 I think.

The SLK55 is actually slower to 60 than the SL600. Interestingly enough, under 9/10ths or 10/10ths conditions, the SLK doesn't handle as well as the SL55. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvGW4kqd1t0) This may mean it handles better than the SL600 but I doubt there's been an actual comparo between the two.

Personally, I'd always take the SL over the SLK. There's more room overall, more trunk space, more prestige and (I think) waaaay better looking. Although, if you want an exhaust note, the AMG model will do one over on the SL600. But that could be fixed by removing the mufflers or getting an aftermarket exhaust.

As for reliability, there's nothing inherently breakable in the V12 vs the V8. Both are based on designs which are hitting their 20's by now. It's just that servicing the V12 costs more. Nothing can be done about that. It's a premium car with premium service/repair costs.

My opinion, SL600 all the way. You won't regret it. Especially if you know the guy and know how he takes care of his vehicles. Make sure you get all the paperwork on it too.

-ROOK
Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM

C63s & CLK63
Originally Posted by Rook3300
LOL, not in a million years. Either you're thinking of the SL500 in which 0-60 comes up in about 6 seconds, or you're not pushing the pedal to the floor. The old-school V12 did it in about 5.5-5.7 I think.

The SLK55 is actually slower to 60 than the SL600. Interestingly enough, under 9/10ths or 10/10ths conditions, the SLK doesn't handle as well as the SL55. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvGW4kqd1t0) This may mean it handles better than the SL600 but I doubt there's been an actual comparo between the two.

Personally, I'd always take the SL over the SLK. There's more room overall, more trunk space, more prestige and (I think) waaaay better looking. Although, if you want an exhaust note, the AMG model will do one over on the SL600. But that could be fixed by removing the mufflers or getting an aftermarket exhaust.

As for reliability, there's nothing inherently breakable in the V12 vs the V8. Both are based on designs which are hitting their 20's by now. It's just that servicing the V12 costs more. Nothing can be done about that. It's a premium car with premium service/repair costs.

My opinion, SL600 all the way. You won't regret it. Especially if you know the guy and know how he takes care of his vehicles. Make sure you get all the paperwork on it too.

-ROOK
Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

I think you both are a little low as to the performance numbers. The SLK55 can do 0-60 in 4.3 sec per Motortrend and the SL600 with close to 500HP in 4.5 which are both impressive as heck numbers.

I also agree mostly with what has been said. I like the size of the SL but as far as looks, while I think they both are gorgous the front end of the SLK's in my opinion is stellar paying omage to the McLaren SLS.

Still waffeling. Wish the SL from the guy was a 05 so it would have padel shifters.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Rook3300

-ROOK

Whooopssyy. Sorry. I should of been more clear. My SL600 was the R129. And I was talking about the 0-60 time for the R129 SL600. It is around the 6 second mark(Not sure the exact but its near there)
Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I don't think these 2 cars are really comparable, other than the MB logo.

The SLK55 is more of a sports car. The 600 is a cruiser. We tune the 600 cars all the time for big power, but the chassis is just a bit soft compared to the AMG cars. In stock form it is not as noticeable. But it really shows when they are tuned.

It all depends what you are looking for.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
The SL600 and SLK55 shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath, IMO. The SLK is a girly sports car with cheap C-Class level interior, whilst the SL600 V12TT is a down right torque monster, GT car. It's not even a contest between the two.

Actually, I'd prefer any level SL (R230) over any level of SLK.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
The SL600 and SLK55 shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath, IMO. The SLK is a girly sports car with cheap C-Class level interior, whilst the SL600 V12TT is a down right torque monster, GT car. It's not even a contest between the two.

Actually, I'd prefer any level SL (R230) over any level of SLK.

A girly car it is. My sister is looking to get a SLK 32 AMG. Picture a 18 year old cheerleader driving to school her Sr. year in a SLK32 AMG.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
A girly car it is. My sister is looking to get a SLK 32 AMG. Picture a 18 year old cheerleader driving to school her Sr. year in a SLK32 AMG.
Ouch. That just killed the image of an SLK AMG car. Looks like the OP will definitely have to go SL600 now.

-ROOK
Old 10-04-2010, 12:07 AM

C63s & CLK63
It's interesting how some try to make a particular model of a vehicle as specific to a gender. Many have said the same thing about a Porsche Boxter that it is a "girls" car where most real enthousits will tell you pound for pound, it can out maneuver most 911's. There are a few cars out there one could make such an argument in gender preference I guess such as how many strait men would own a pale blue Beetle with the flower vase accessory but we are talking SPORT cars here and I don't believe there has ever been a vehicle manufactured with the letters AMG on it which wasn't 100% man approved!

As to the poster whose 18 year old cheerleader sister is going to be driving a SLK32 AMG, I would bet she chose it because she liked to drive a very cool, fast sports car. If I ended up buying the SLK55 and pulled up next to her, she would be so impressed with me and my manly car we would end up no doubt back at my place where I could teach her all about high performance induction as well as give her hands on experience in the proper technique's to ensure maximum lubrication so as not to get unwanted friction.

Lastly, it isn't fair to make a comparison to the materials in a $60K car against one costing double at over $135K. The SLK's competiors such as a Boxer or a Z4 have no better fit or finish which is what it should be compared to if you are only going to look at material finishes. I would expect the SL's interior to be of a higher quality given it's new price point.

What I was attempting to discover from my OP was if anyone had driven or owned both of these models and how they compared in drivability, features, mantanence etc. I guess I should have been a little clearer in my wording as I wasn't particulary interested or concerned in whether anyone thought one was more manly, or prestigious which I could care less about verses hearing how in your experience each handled, accelerated, braked, mechanical issues and the like i.e. THE important stuff.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by David_AMG
It's interesting how some try to make a particular model of a vehicle as specific to a gender. Many have said the same thing about a Porsche Boxter that it is a "girls" car where most real enthousits will tell you pound for pound, it can out maneuver most 911's. There are a few cars out there one could make such an argument in gender preference I guess such as how many strait men would own a pale blue Beetle with the flower vase accessory but we are talking SPORT cars here and I don't believe there has ever been a vehicle manufactured with the letters AMG on it which wasn't 100% man approved!

As to the poster whose 18 year old cheerleader sister is going to be driving a SLK32 AMG, I would bet she chose it because she liked to drive a very cool, fast sports car. If I ended up buying the SLK55 and pulled up next to her, she would be so impressed with me and my manly car we would end up no doubt back at my place where I could teach her all about high performance induction as well as give her hands on experience in the proper technique's to ensure maximum lubrication so as not to get unwanted friction.

Lastly, it isn't fair to make a comparison to the materials in a $60K car against one costing double at over $135K. The SLK's competiors such as a Boxer or a Z4 have no better fit or finish which is what it should be compared to if you are only going to look at material finishes. I would expect the SL's interior to be of a higher quality given it's new price point.

What I was attempting to discover from my OP was if anyone had driven or owned both of these models and how they compared in drivability, features, mantanence etc. I guess I should have been a little clearer in my wording as I wasn't particulary interested or concerned in whether anyone thought one was more manly, or prestigious which I could care less about verses hearing how in your experience each handled, accelerated, braked, mechanical issues and the like i.e. THE important stuff.
I cant say too much about the Porsche part since I own a Cayman and it is similar as a Boxster and many also call it a girls car as well. Yes that was me with the SLK 32 AMG. True she is looking ot buy one but when she told me I told her it is a girls car. It was a joke. Really there is no such thing as a girls car but in my area you see all girls driving SLK's for some reason so I figured I would jump on her case(Brother to sister argument. Been doing it forever) Ok back to 55 VS 600 here. No its not fair to talk about the materials in a SLK vs the 600 but I think we are all just stating facts here. As far as upkeep. I can tell you the 600 will cost you some big money. My sl600 was great and never had anything go wrong as long as I owned it. But do not be surprised if you get a bill for $2,000+ from your indi shop. Its a premium car that needs premium care. Features if you mean options the SL has many mor of them(ABC,Distronic,A/C,Heated seats,Nav,memory seats,BAS/ESP, Cornering brake control,Interactive front and rear suspension levelling,Automatic door closing) and the list goes on and on and on.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: SL600 vs. SLK55

Love my SL600, but I am a power/torque junkie which the V12 delivers in spades. Add in a top of the line 230 series car with premium everything in and out, and you have quite a machine privided those things matter. While I'm not planning to handle track it, it corners just fine in sport mode too.

I'd mostly mirror what Benz-o-Rama said about the SLK, but I'm probably a little biased.

Drive both yourself, and get what you like. That is ultimately what matters.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
I was in a similar situation, looking at that price point I saw the same 2 cars, and I looked into sl55 as well, but I wanted the car to take when I get vacations or around town on the weekends and the slk55 was just too cramped (I'm 6' 2"), too stiff, and too cheap. I am very happy with how nice the interior is in my SL and the thought that I can just add a tune and get way more power is nice. There really isn't much I can say that isn't just opinion aside from starting my car (mufflers deleted, highly suggest this!) will make any drive to work more entertaining.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by David_AMG
What I was attempting to discover from my OP was if anyone had driven or owned both of these models and how they compared in drivability, features, maintenance etc. I guess I should have been a little clearer in my wording as I wasn't particulary interested or concerned in whether anyone thought one was more manly, or prestigious which I could care less about verses hearing how in your experience each handled, accelerated, braked, mechanical issues and the like i.e. THE important stuff.
My SLK 55 AMG with 030 Performance Package is a blast to drive. The upgraded Nurburgring suspension is tight and the upgraded brakes and pads bite and are very responsive. The upgraded AMG suspension and brakes make it track ready. This little sports car packs a punch and is fun to drive. I use it as my daily driver and it’s perfect for daily all out street racing. Remember to look for the 030 PP if you're going for this little AMG.

My 2006 SLK 55 AMG

While you wouldn't want to drive the R171 long distance, you would with the R230. The SL is a luxury sports cruiser with more features and it's very comfortable to drive. It was built to be easy to drive and that it is. It has a larger cockpit and the interior design is top notch which makes driving more enjoyable. The body lines on the R230 is sporty and classy which gets it noticed. The additional electronics to include brake and suspension could make the huge roadster less reliable and it will have a slightly higher maintenance bill.

My 2005 SL55 AMG

Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with the upkeep, yesterday I spotted a small oily puddle behind my driver left wheel....oily shock....sad bank account
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

and this shock thing does **** me off, if the car wasn't a blast to drive and get looks/compliments all the time I would get rid of it, I am taking it to the shop some time in the next week for leaking shock, a/c compressor sounds like it's dying, broken glove box light switch, no auto pass. window, intercooler pump, strange surging at light throttle and a nasty grown when I turn left from the front driver's wheel.....I mean I know it is a used car, but I don't think a 130k car should be a complete pile at 5 years old and 41k miles, kinda wish I would have just stuck with a Lexus from my work....
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by NEMES1S
I agree with the upkeep, yesterday I spotted a small oily puddle behind my driver left wheel....oily shock....sad bank account
Yupp. But like I said. Its a premium car with a premium price. Your situation with the puddle may a DIY job. Do you go to a indi shop? My SL600 was serviced at a indi shop only along with all of my other European cars.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
and this shock thing does **** me off, if the car wasn't a blast to drive and get looks/compliments all the time I would get rid of it, I am taking it to the shop some time in the next week for leaking shock, a/c compressor sounds like it's dying, broken glove box light switch, no auto pass. window, intercooler pump, strange surging at light throttle and a nasty grown when I turn left from the front driver's wheel.....I mean I know it is a used car, but I don't think a 130k car should be a complete pile at 5 years old and 41k miles, kinda wish I would have just stuck with a Lexus from my work....

Yikes. Sounds like you got one built on a friday before a long weekend. I had a bad one (C280 Sport Edition) that was a bad. We called it the garage lizzard. Would go to the indi shop on saturdays to work on it. uhhhh the time wasted.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: SL600 Issues

Nemesis,

Not sure this will make you feel better, but I had my share of issues with my 05 when I bought it: bad Intercooler Pump, leaking ABC hose, alignment, flush brakes, flush coolant, replace belt tensioner, new belt, new fuel filter, update Navi firmware, new air filters, new cabin filters, wiper blades, buff out paint etc. Spent some of my time and a few $$ at both my MB dealer and independant MB specialist to get it right, but it has been reliable and is now pretty much perfect. Keeping things in order has not been bad or expensive, but getting to a state of good repair took patience, some $$, and perseverance. It was absolutely worth it, don't give up. And do get a tune, it completely transforms the car's personality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
No chance I'd put up with those kind of issues. I'd have sold it by now, if it were me.

I can't remember exactly, but weren't you looking for an SL600 for a very long time? If memory serves, you got this car very, VERY cheap, relative to pricing at that time, correct? Maybe I have you confused with another member. Didn't you have issues on the very day you bought it?

I've always preached that you cannot price shop an SL55/SL600/SL65. The ones that you find cheap, are usually cheap for a reason. I test drove close to 10 SLs, before I settled on my 11K mile cream-puff SL600. There was a HUGE difference in quality of car, in relation to asking price.

I paid 7K more than what I originally set my budget at, and I've had very little issues with my car, and certainly no major issues, like what you've mentioned.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you have a great memory and yes, a few of these issues were concerns when I bought the car, the only things when I picked it up that were a major concern were the brake rotors and the cracked wood interior, most of the other stuff has popped up recently. I still love the car, and I have had several project type cars that needed work in the past, so I don't mind much. I still feel like I got a great deal even looking at what the current prices are. If the car had sport package I would have been just a bit happier, but parktronic, pano, KG are all great
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM

C63s & CLK63
*UPDATE*
Thanks everyone for posting. I bought a SLK55. Ultimatly it came down to the "fun factor". As I stated, my desire was for a toy which gets driven a few days a month. Something to drive out to one of the beautiful canyon roads and have fun with or take out to dinner on a Sat night. It was never going to go on a trip and 90% of the time I was going to be the only one in it.

I drove a SL550 and the SLK before deciding. (the guy with the SL600 decided to keep it) The SL is a sweet car and did have a very nice ride but didn't put a smile on my face like the SLK55 did when driving it. Subjective as it is, I think the AMG bodywork on the SLK makes it one of the best looking cars on the road. And the sound.. Mother of all V8's that engine is wonderful to listen too!

So I figure I will play with this car for a few years and when I am ready for a classy cruiser, replace it with a SL.

Thanks again for everyones comments.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM

C63s & CLK63
Here it is by the way..

Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Great choice! Congrats!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Help! SL600 vs SLK55?