SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Manual Shift Mode in SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Manual Shift Mode in SL500

Looking for some help here. Just purchased a 2003 SL500, love the car. I thought I checked everything out at time of purchase. I over looked the manual shift mode it doesn't work. When I move the gear shift left or right, the car doesn't downshift or upshift. Anyone else have this problem? Is there something else I need to look for? I read the manual and it says just to move the gear shift left or right.

Sounds like it might be a possible fuse problem, but not sure.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,

Ed
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM

SL500
Just moving it to left or right doesn't change gears. Just moving it to the left puts it in the "manual" mode.

You ought to see some indication on your dash to let you know it has gone from "A" and now in some gear number.
OH! by the way, while you may see some indication while standing still, it is better to do this while you are moving. Doing the gear shifts while standing still will limit the number of gears you can get into.

Once in that manual mode, you then press it x times to the left to successively down-shift, and x times to the right to up-shift that number of gears.

If you press and hold to the right, it will get back into the "auto" mode.

At least this is what happens on my 2005 SL.

Last edited by ChuckT; 10-06-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Just to add a little more detail to what ChuckT states above...

When moving the stick left, it will display the gear you are currently in. Moving it again to the left will limit your maximum allowed gear. This is not the same as a manual mode in that it does not keep you in that gear. It simply limits the top-most gear allowed. If you push and hold the stick to the left, it will automatically select the most appropriate gear for maximum power based on current engine rpm, throttle position and previously learned driving habits (per the TCU computer). It will let you hit redline in it and choke down the power accordingly. Make sure to bump up the stick before you hit redline as it takes a couple of moments for the "upshift" to occur.

If you push to the right, it will increase the maximum allowed gear. If you go to 6 and press right again, it will change into auto mode.

You can move the stick while in park with the engine running and it should show how many gears are available in the transmission. This is actually a good way to determine if your vehicle (or one you're looking at) has the 5-speed or 7-speed transmission.

Hope this helps.

-ROOK
Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM

SL500
Thanks for the responses. The problem I am having, is when I hit the stick left or right, the car doesn't do anything. No response. Don't know what the problem could be and I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this? I think it could be simple like a fuse or something.

Any suggestions would be great!