SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: When did the seats change in the SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
When did the seats change in the SL

I have a 2006 SL500. Being as **** as I am about leather, I'm thinking about changing it because it has a bit more crinkles then I like. I notice that the leather in the other classes are stiffer, grain is different and seems to not crinkle as much. Case in point - I'm 155 and my brother in law has a C Class and is 250 and not a crinkle anywhere. I noticed looking at newer SL's that have perforated holes on the bolsters of the cushion and back seem to hide the lightning type crinkling. Not sure what to do. I also have charcoal. I feel if I buy the new leather to replace what I have, it'll be the same issue. Also, the foam seems to seperate underneath. It looks like an invisable man is sitting in the seat at all times on both seats. I can bounce the leather with my finger. It's like the leather has air pockets in it.

I can't help my personality - I always want the leather to look brand new. Car is at the dealer tonight and got a C Class loaner with 25,000 miles on it (my car has 19K) and their seats look like they just removed the wrapper - and it's a beater loaner.

Do I need new foam too or should I get a newer year when I order the leather (if it's improved).