SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Need input from SL500 owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Need input from SL500 owners

I'm considering buying an 03/04 SL500. Therefore, I'd like to hear the opinions of those of you have them and have had an opportunity to drive them for a while. Please let me hear all the positive AND negative things you have to say about the car. I know it's a great looking car, but anything else can you tell me about it will be much appreicated.

Btw, I currently have an 02 CLK430, that I've been very happy with. I've always wanted to drive a convertible, but don't really like the looks of soft-tops. So from that perspective, the SL is great.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:13 PM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
Cool Satisfied SL 500 owner(13 months)

I own an early build (02/2002) 2003 Launch Edition SL 500 for over 13 months and have 13,000 miles on it. It is driven daily, all four seasons, for local trips 2.0 miles and Interstate trips of 200 miles. --from the Central Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania, State College, PA.

I am very pleased with all aspects of the car, including the roof features. (I was the early owner of a 1998 SLK(02/97) which I traded in after 5 years for the larger SL--that car was quite satisfactory--and in 5 years never had any roof operation problem.) (nor any other major problems). Use of that very satisfactory roof system convinced me to go ahead with this new SL 500 5 years later.

The SL 500 has plenty of power, (I don't need an AMG SL55) and the car really sticks to the road because of all the computerized suspension and drive management-systems -as well as the new braking system which I like very much. I did plan to use 4 snow tires when I purchased the car--and in my first winter(just passed) with those 4 SNOW tires mounted, there were no problems whatsoever. I could not have used the car all winter as I did, unless I did have the 4 SNOW tires on it!--(AS EXPECTED)

I am 5'6" and am very comfortable getting in and driving. Some of my very tall friends (over 6'0") seem to have perceived problems getting in, (because of the steep slant of the "A" pillar, and very low appearing roof)---but when seat is properly adjusted, and lowered, there is plenty of room--leg, width, and height...

I've had no major electrical/mechanicalproblems in 13 months - did get one SRS warning light displayed which required a replacement drivers seatbelt (electrical harness contact issues).

I do like the COMAND NAV system, but I do wish it were with a DVD rather than CDs. I am located exactly on a "map disk boundary", and frequently need to use 3 different CDs for travel to Western and Eastern PA, Washington DC, and Northern NJ.--with DVD there would be no changing of the NAV disk.

The car really draws a lot of attention wherever it is observed by others--a beautiful piece of moving, computerized sculpture.---and IT MOVES!

Giff Albright, State College, PA
Old 04-30-2003, 09:31 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Thanks!

Thanks so much for your detailed response! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. I gives me more of an idea of what to expect if I go ahead with the car.

Glad to hear you were able to drive it during all 4 seasons - especially after the harsh winter we just had here on the East Coast.

Thanks again for the great feedback! And anyone else out there that has comments/opinions about your 03 SL's, I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:15 PM

Cool A few more comments--SL 500

from Giff Albright - ADDENDUM-- Also, The Launch Edition came equiped with some things like the "double hi intensity" headlights which are great, as well as the two special seat backs which have fans built in ( 3 speeds) to ventilate your back in summer, and the lumbar thumper to vibrate your back, and the neat wooden section steering wheel. I would not have ordered the last three "comfort" items, but since I have them now, I admire and use them all the time--they are particularly useful on 200 mile trips.

ALSO, the Bose Audio/6-disc CD changer system, hands free M-B phone, voice actuated; and COMAND sytem are all great, and simple to use, compared to the crazy " iDrive system "in the new BMW 7s.

ALSO,I do not have the variable distance (Distronic-radar)Cruise control, automatic tire pressure sensors, nor the bumper "parking sensors" for distance from nearby objects----NOR the keyless "GO" feature-and I don't miss any of them.

I did order the MB-rubber all-weather floor mats because the Launch Edition is a special limited edition Designo trim-with very delicate, fine upscale carpets---and they get too dirty in our snowy and icy winter weather in the Pennsylvania Mountains.

One neat feature included is a "adjustably cooled" glove compartment box, and a "cooled center storage bin" (under the fone)---if you want to keep a bottle of water chilled! NEAT!

I can't think of any other items now! Giff Albright of State College, PA
Old 05-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What other cars are you considering? The R230 SL is an AMAZING car. There are so many positive things about it, well, the car is in its own leauge. No joke.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550 4matic LE
Hey.
I own a 03 SL500. Just got it in February. i got about 250 miles on it. no doubt the car is great. it looks wonderful, sounds wonderful, drives excellent, etc. I got the AMG sport package and it makes the car even more gorgeous. the 55 wasnt needed, it costs alot more and i dont need the extra power in new jersey. on highways it travels superb. going on a u-turn or a round-about the car really sticks to the ground. other cars even my s500 would tend to tilt to the side, but not the SL.
the sound system is awesome. navigation great. controls, functions, and evertying else. you wont be dissapointed buddy.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:58 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally posted by vraa
What other cars are you considering? The R230 SL is an AMAZING car. There are so many positive things about it, well, the car is in its own leauge. No joke.
I've thought about the 911, but don't like the look of it when the soft top is up. Also, the M5, but think I want to stick with a coupe, and really would like a convertible this time.

The more I'm reading from you guys, the more I'm leaning toward putting the order in for the SL. Thanks for your input, and keep those responses coming!
Old 05-02-2003, 01:04 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally posted by lorinsertuned
Hey.
I own a 03 SL500. Just got it in February. i got about 250 miles on it. no doubt the car is great. it looks wonderful, sounds wonderful, drives excellent, etc. I got the AMG sport package and it makes the car even more gorgeous. the 55 wasnt needed, it costs alot more and i dont need the extra power in new jersey. on highways it travels superb. going on a u-turn or a round-about the car really sticks to the ground. other cars even my s500 would tend to tilt to the side, but not the SL.
the sound system is awesome. navigation great. controls, functions, and evertying else. you wont be dissapointed buddy.
Thanks for the input. I would also order the car with the sport package - you're right, it makes it even more gorgeous. I know what you mean about the cornering - I put it through a few good turns on the test drive.

Glad to hear you like the navigation - I was a little worried about that.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:11 AM

2003 SL 500
GET IT
Old 05-04-2003, 02:51 AM

Porsche and GLC63
I really like my SL500, but I must say that the Nav system is a little primitive. My wife just got a new Lexus RX330 and that nav system kicks butt. The MB version is really poor in comparison.

In general, the control systems that operate through the Nav and instrument panel are very non-intuitive and confusing - typically German.

But, I consider those items to be small nits. I don't depend on the Nav system, and the stereo is good enough.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:59 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally posted by raygr
I really like my SL500, but I must say that the Nav system is a little primitive. My wife just got a new Lexus RX330 and that nav system kicks butt. The MB version is really poor in comparison.

In general, the control systems that operate through the Nav and instrument panel are very non-intuitive and confusing - typically German.

But, I consider those items to be small nits. I don't depend on the Nav system, and the stereo is good enough.
I've heard of other MB owners who have also been disappointed with their Nav systems. This is one of the few issues that bother me about the car. But given that I don't see myself using the Nav system very much anyway, I think I can live with it.

Just curious, are there any options/upgrades for the MB Nav system - other than aftermarket systems? And can the factory system accomodate a DVD player?

Thanks for the continued feedback everyone.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by CLKfanDC
I've thought about the 911, but don't like the look of it when the soft top is up. Also, the M5, but think I want to stick with a coupe, and really would like a convertible this time.

The more I'm reading from you guys, the more I'm leaning toward putting the order in for the SL. Thanks for your input, and keep those responses coming!
You can't use the 911 as a GT, you can't drop the top in 16 seconds.

As for M5, different car classes, so thats a preference thing. ANd you said you wanted a convertible. :p

Go for the SL, you won't be disappointed.

My wife just got a new Lexus RX330 and that nav system kicks butt
Lexus also has a crap nav system, honda has the best, i've been spoilded by my Odyssey.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:54 PM

Porsche and GLC63
As far a I know, there isn't a DVD-based Nav for the 2003 SL, but I've heard rumors (on this board) of one for 2004.

Really, unless you travel out of your regular area, I wouldn't worry too much about the Nav. It's good enough; the car in total is really great, and I can't get over how nice it looks.

One other thing I wish MB would add is an in-dash CD-changer, instead of the changer behind the seat. You can insert a single audio CD into the dash where the Nav CD goes, and it will play like a regular single-CD head unit. But, then the Nav is disabled.

One other thing you might want to know is that the brake-by-wire feel is a little weird. The brake pedal feels "springy", and small changes in pedal pressure can yield big brake changes. You get used to it after a while, but my wife didn't like it when she first drove the car. It's most noticeable to me when coming to a stop and trying to smoothly release brake pressure to unload the suspension for a smooth stop. This may be something that can be tuned in a software update.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:23 AM

Porsche and GLC63
Lexus Nav

Lexus also has a crap nav system, honda has the best, i've been spoilded by my Odyssey.
The Nav on the new Lexus RX330, which just came out in April, is really very nice. I'm sure it's their 2nd or 3rd generation. It is a wide aspect, with touch screen.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:43 AM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
As far a I know, there isn't a DVD-based Nav for the 2003 SL, but I've heard rumors (on this board) of one for 2004.

Really, unless you travel out of your regular area, I wouldn't worry too much about the Nav. It's good enough; the car in total is really great, and I can't get over how nice it looks.

Thanks. Does anyone know how much area each Nav disc covers? In other words, if I travel up and down the East Coast (from FL to NY) a lot, how many discs would I need?

Thanks for the continued feedback, guys.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Re: Lexus Nav

The Nav on the new Lexus RX330, which just came out in April, is really very nice. I'm sure it's their 2nd or 3rd generation. It is a wide aspect, with touch screen.
Sorry, I wouldn't know about the new RX330 because i've only experiance the LS430's. What i've used is that i can't change it unless im stationary and such.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:22 AM

Cool Dicks needed for NY to FL

Thanks. Does anyone know how much area each Nav disc covers? In other words, if I travel up and down the East Coast (from FL to NY) a lot, how many discs would I need?

Thanks for the continued feedback, guys.
From Giff Albright--For a Mercedes 2003 SL 500--If you mean NYC to FL--you need three disks: 7, 8, and 9;
if you mean Rochester, Buffalo or Northern/Western New York STATE area to FL you need four- disks: 6, 7, 8, 9----------------------the specific coverage is shown graphically on a www page available from"
www.navtech.com

NOTE:There are several Disk sets for many auto brands listed there---and the overall www site is very complex--but the info is there. (IMHO, on the Mercedes set, the "map separation" is not very rational for a US Traveler. I need three different disks just to travel in MidAtlantic-to NYC area! W.PA-East.PA-NJ-----Giff Albright of State College, PA--located right on the edge of a DISKmap.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:21 PM
jum

2001 SL500
Nav system and US usability

I do use the nav system quite often and it works quite fine for me here in Europe. You only need to change disks at borders, like switching from the Germany CD to Benelux if you enter Belgium or the Netherlands. I also do have an Alps CD which contains all the Alps and parts of the countries around.

But for all the US pretty much need a DVD, probably an oversight by the designers of the nav system as they are based here. I once did see a test car (not an SL) with navigation test written on the sides and 4 persons intensly looking at some screens driving from Hannover to Hamburg.

And I forgot: it is the best car I have ever driven!

Last edited by jum; 05-26-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
sl is an eye catcher...just becuase it looks good...but half the people dont know crap about them except that its a benz..but the sl is in its own league.....im 13 and weve had the the car since the end of feb. i thikn i have more fun with it than my dad does...if u want style,power,and all of the above...get the sl!
Old 06-01-2003, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG

Ah Yes, Microsoft, the home of non-intuitive, confusing - not to mention bug ridden and insecure - PC computer software - typically Washington State I think you generalise a little too much...

Last edited by blueSL; 06-01-2003 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:24 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Smile I ordered it!

Thanks to all of your great feedback, I've gone ahead and placed the order for an SL500. I was told I'm 24th on the waiting list, but they couldn't give me an accurate time frame as to how long that will take. In any case, I feel better just knowing I'm on the list and can start moving up!

I ordered the car in Obsidian Black Metallic with the sport package and wood package. Now my biggest decision is going to be the color the the interior. I really like the look of the stone interior when the top is up, but when the top is down, I'm not sure I like the stark contrast between the body color and the interior. Therefore, I'm thinking about going with the designo Charcoal so that when the top is down, all of the color (the body and interior) looks uniform.

Would like to hear your input on this. And also, if you have any photos of your SL's with the top down, showing the outside of the car as well as the interior, I'd love to see them.

Thanks for all your input guys. #24 and counting!
Old 06-10-2003, 05:21 PM

Cool interior color SL 500

As the owner of the 2003 (bought Mar '02) Launch edition, I had no choice on interior color--Designo Black. I originally thought that the interior including entire roof interior might be "too much" and too dark----but the total surface area of the interior (what the eye "sees") of the SL 500 is so much LESS than say, the interior surface area (sq. ft) of a 5 pass S500. ---That area (expanse) is not "too much", it looks very good, and I really like the sophisticated appearance of the dark interior.

ALSO It does not get too hot with top down because in Central PA we do not get the intense summer, fall, and spring direct sunlight like, say in Arizona or Southern Florida.

You must remember my Launch Edition exterior is the Designo SILVER which has a metallic silver, light green, light beige, varying color--depending upon light shining on car. The contrast with the dark interior also is quite neat.

Giff Albright of State College, PA
Old 06-10-2003, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Re: I ordered it!

Thanks to all of your great feedback, I've gone ahead and placed the order for an SL500. I was told I'm 24th on the waiting list, but they couldn't give me an accurate time frame as to how long that will take. In any case, I feel better just knowing I'm on the list and can start moving up!

I ordered the car in Obsidian Black Metallic with the sport package and wood package. Now my biggest decision is going to be the color the the interior. I really like the look of the stone interior when the top is up, but when the top is down, I'm not sure I like the stark contrast between the body color and the interior. Therefore, I'm thinking about going with the designo Charcoal so that when the top is down, all of the color (the body and interior) looks uniform.

Would like to hear your input on this. And also, if you have any photos of your SL's with the top down, showing the outside of the car as well as the interior, I'd love to see them.

Thanks for all your input guys. #24 and counting!
hey, nice choice on the car, btw can you list all your options youve picked out?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:39 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally posted by ano0oj
hey, nice choice on the car, btw can you list all your options youve picked out?
Sure. I ordered it with:

SL1 Wood Package
SL2 Sport Package
Xenon Headlights
Keyless Go
Panoramic Roof

Look forward to hearing from you guys about the interior alternatives. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Sure. I ordered it with:

SL1 Wood Package
SL2 Sport Package
Xenon Headlights
Keyless Go
Panoramic Roof

Look forward to hearing from you guys about the interior alternatives. Thanks!
I would go with Charcoal or Berry Red - Beige is erm nice but too bland for me. Look for jl88 photos - his car is Black/Berry Red and its quite stunning - You can pick the Black Birds eye maple wood with that and you got yourself a killer combo in my opinion at least

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Need input from SL500 owners