SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Override to trunk partition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; sold: '05 SL500
Override to trunk partition?

Not sure if others are as annoyed as I am when I try and retract the roof only to get the error message about closing the trunk partition...which requires me to pull my fat a$$ out of the car to open the trunk and close it. So...has anyone figured out a solution to this such as some type of overrride to the partition so it, effectively, stays open all the time?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 SL500
There is a reason why you get the warning. You risk damaging the roof.
If you load something in the trunk that sits higher with the partition in an open position and you open the roof after a workaround for the warning, then be prepared to spend some money on roof repairs.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 AM

sl600
I agree with daltex 110%. This system should not be overridden.

But - if you really want to, I see one problem.

The partition in my 2004 SL600 isn't like my SC430 or XLR - the SL partition goes up and back. If you try to lower the roof with the partition up, you are going to mess up the roof. The only way I could see doing it on the SL is to remove the entire partition.

The sensors are easy to beat. Go get a wooden dowel, cut 2 one inch pieces and shove them in the sensors. Or if you don't want to take the trip to the store - wad up a piece of paper with some gum or grab a beer cap and shove it in the slot on the two sensors. Also a cap to a ballpoint pen seems to be the correct size as well.

Originally Posted by HSESL500
Not sure if others are as annoyed as I am when I try and retract the roof only to get the error message about closing the trunk partition...which requires me to pull my fat a$$ out of the car to open the trunk and close it. So...has anyone figured out a solution to this such as some type of overrride to the partition so it, effectively, stays open all the time?

Last edited by five337; 12-23-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 AM

'09 SL550; sold: '05 SL500
Originally Posted by daltex
There is a reason why you get the warning. You risk damaging the roof.
If you load something in the trunk that sits higher with the partition in an open position and you open the roof after a workaround for the warning, then be prepared to spend some money on roof repairs.
Thanks for the great info guys. Although I know, intuitively, NOT to place any large item back there such that it could damage the roof, I guess the partition serves as a good safety check on that possibility.