SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Help! Dealer says car needs new heads. Only 26K miles!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430
Help! Dealer says car needs new heads. Only 26K miles!!!

My father in laws 07 SL550 has 26K miles on it. Went out of warranty June of 09'. It threw a CE light and smelled bad in Oct. of 09' and our local MB dealership said it needed new plugs . Father in law said okay. Same issues 1 month ago and now dealership says the #8 cylinder has a valve issue and the heads need to be pulled. Quoted us $10k if new heads need to be installed. ALL services were performed by the MB dealership. He has spent over $250,000 at the place on 4 new MB's over 7 years. The service lady wouldnt even call MB to help us out. Ive now contacted MB and they are gathering info. I cant help to feel that we're gonna get screwed. Yes, its not under warranty any more. But, spending $100K on a car and needing $10k in repair at 26K is . There is a TSB on that cylinder from May of 09', but that dosent mean anyting according to the MB claims guy I talked to. Im sick to my stomach and I dont even have to potentially flip the bill. Anyone have any suggestions???
Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM

2000 E430
218 views and nothing??? C'mon guys. I know SOMEONE has something constructive to add.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
What you describe is most unusual for a 2007 SL that has been properly maintained and not abused. At this point there is not much the average reader on this site can tell you until the diagnosis of the problem is complete including the cause. I suggest you post your question on the Technical and Vehicle Assistance discussion section (further down from the SL section) to see what the technical guys have to say. I can assure you that we are interested in your father-in-law's problem and would like to hear how it is eventually resolved. I do not know of anyone who has had a similar problem.
TwinCam
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM

2000 E430
TwinCam. Thanks for the interest. I have contacted MB and they wont help untill the EXACT problem can be determined. So now I have to contact the head service guy at our dealership and see if he can help any on labor. MB dosent cover out of warrenty daignosis labor. I was quoted $1200 to remove the heads and up to 10K if they need to be replaced. Basically we have to roll the dice and let the dealership have us by the (*****) wallett. Its not even my car and I am getting overly upset at the situation. Ill post what the service guy says. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 PM

I did a little research and it is very rare to have to replace the heads on this engine. About the only thing that would warp or crack the head is running the engine beyond its heat limits. Since you did not mention overheating the engine because of low coolant or some other disaster, you probably do not need new heads. Did the technician check for a bad ignition coil? I had that on a 2007 SL and the symptoms were rough running, foul smelling exhaust and the check engine light came on. There is a coil for each cylinder and a bad coil is not uncommon. I had to have my car back to the dealer twice as they seemed to have trouble finding which cylinder had the bad coil. After the second visit to the dealer, I never had another problem and the car was fixed under warranty. TwinCam
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Originally Posted by Yellow98Cobra
MB doesn't cover out of warrenty daignosis labor.
I'd a couple of problems with my R-class which was 6 months out of warranty. Discovered a rear shocker had gone which they replaced free and then the pano-roof jammed. 2 days to find out what it was as they had to remove the complete roof-lining. Needed a new motor, pulley and other bits. In for 2 days fixing it and all done for free out of goodwill. Scotland's a long way to come for you though.

Pretty pathetic service for all you've given them. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
+1 on the comments about the rarity of needing cylinder head work at 26,000 miles.

If your father can get the dealer to tell him what fault codes generated the check engine light some folks here might have additional useful comments.

If the dealer doesn't start helping a lot more you father should think seriously about taking the car to a good independent shop.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
If there wasn't some sort of disaster with this engine, I can't imagine it needs heads. You need a real diagnosis.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM

2000 E430
Hey guys thanks for the help. All I know is that 2 cylinders are low on compression. They are thinking valve isssues. MB will not help untill there is a 100% diagnosis and it has to come from an MB dealer, no indies. So, they have to pull the heads to confirm. I havent been updated this week, yet. Once I know something Ill post back.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
YOU NEED

TO KEEP CHASING THEM for resolution.Obvious that a problem existed a long time ago and installing spark plugs was merely a guess on the dealerts part as to the original cel and bad smell issue.26K miles is barely broken in and should not be broken down
Ask yourself why on earth would that engine need new spark plugs at under 20k miles a few years ago.Something was wrong then and most likely was wrong when it was still under warranty.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM

2000 E430
Well here is there offer. Total is $10,700. The dealer said that they will pick up 1/3, MBUSA will pick up 1/3 and our total would be $3500. I told him that we would feel comfortable paying 10% of the total bill. He said he called MBUSA and thats the best deal he could give us. Gonna get interesting.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
I think you're generous even offering 10%. Still, 1/3 is a start. For it to be in that state at 26K miles after being properly service by MB........!
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 AM

2006 SL55 AMG
How can an 07 sl550 go out of warranty in june 09, that would mean the warranty started june 05 and 07 sl550's were not sold in june 05?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM

2000 E430
Car was purchased in June of 2006. Warranty expired (Time wise) in June of 2010.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Yellow98Cobra, Did the MB technician tell you what was wrong with the heads or what caused them to be in need of replacement? For instance, did they contain a manufacturing defect, warp from over heating, etc.? I am curious since I have never encountered anyone needing this type of repair. TwinCam
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 PM

2000 E430
Twin,

They are saying there is a problem with the valve guides and its causing the cylinder to lose compression. Its happening on both sides. We're still at an impass as they rejected our 10% offer. Its now in our attorneys hands and he's going through all the service records with his MB and import mechanics. We have EVERY record of the car as ALL service were done at our local (and only) MB dealership. As of right now car is setting at the dealership apart. Oh, did I mention my father in law (owner) passed away due to a heart attack 3 weeks ago? This car has been a NIGHTMARE. I own an 00' E430 and my mother in law has an 06' ML500. After these 2 cars are ready to be replaced I dont think Ill ever own a Mercedes again.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
That's a shame

But I understand your position. I agree with previous posters that it sounds like there was not enough due diligence on the dealers part.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM

2000 E430
Update. We got the bill from $10,700 to $3600. Approved the work about 4 weeks ago. They got it back together, but it was STILL throwing codes. Did a few more things and determinted the ECM (PCM?) was bad. But LUCKY :sarcasm: for us thats under warrenty. We are going on 4 months of trying to fix this car. Our lawyer (brother in law) said it would cost too much to hire experts and it would be cheaper to pay the $3600. I will NEVER pay another dime to our local MB dealer. They have proved to be incompetent and unwilling to help. Once I get the car back I am writing MANY lettters to our local paper (City of 1 million plus) and MB. I cant **** off the service people yet as I dont have car in hand. They have done NOTHING to help us. I guess they just get people in there who open their wallets. Is been a total nightmare.

Also, wanna hear the most messed up part? My father in law passed due to a heart attack. Pure effin' nightmare!!

Last edited by Yellow98Cobra; 03-28-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:14 AM

2000 E430
Got the car back. Runs great, finally. Here is the letter I wrote to the service manager and owner. BTW, Doug is the boss of the lady I am referring to.

Doug,

Sending you this email since things with Ron Browns 07' SL550 have been resolved, hopefully. I can say that it has been the most disappointing event with dealing with a service center and it all comes down to Stacey Parks. She has been 100% unhelpful and smug during this entire process from day one.

The day we found out what the estimate was she handed me a bill for $10,700 in one hand and basically had the other palm up waiting for payment. She asked if I would authorize the work and I told her 'no.' I then asked if she would be willing to call MBUSA on our behalf and she would not. Keeping in mind that the car had been serviced by you all before with similiar symptoms and a band aid (spark plugs) was applied. Even after explaining to her Ron's purchase history and loyalty to Tafel she still refused. I asked if she had a number I could call to open a claim and she gave me a generic 1-800 number. Again, not willing to go above and beyond for a loyal customer. I had to do all the leg work. I had to call MBUSA and I had to try and negotiate this bill. Who am I to MBUSA? Even if she would have got the ball rolling then got us involved that would have helped. She would have had much more pull and connections to help in this situation, but she adamantly declined to participate.

After the car fixed, and bill negotiated, we finally got to pick up the car this past Saturday. Once again I had the pleasure of dealing with Stacey. We paid and the car was brought around to us. After a visual inspection everything looked good and I got in to leave. Only to notice the car barely had 1/8 of a tank of gas, despite coming in with 3/4 of a tank. I went in and told Stacey where the level was only to get a response of "Well, we had to put $80 in it while test driving it." I said nothing as the look of disgust on my face was probably enough. She then got a porter, who was a very nice guy, to go with me to Thorntons. He put in $32. I said nothing, but knew that would not get us back to the level of 3/4. After talking to him I found out he was instructed to fill it up half way. Pretty much much how I feel like she does her job, half way.

What does it take for someone to go above and beyond? Does she not not want to retain business? In this economy are customers that expendable? Actually, are GOOD customers expendable? Because Ron Brown was the epitome of a good, loyal, paying customer and Stacey failed miserably to realize that. She was too stubborn to help and blinded by her arrogance to realize what she was doing. Her actions have cost Tafel our family business permanently. One customer may not matter, but I will tell whoever will listen about my experience. I can not in good faith recommend someone to Tafel. If Ron can not get quality trusted service at your facility, then I have no idea what it takes. He trusted Stacey and the service department to have his best interest at heart and I feel as if that trust was misplaced and abused. It actually makes me question all the receipts I have on the cars. Was the work needed, or was the wool being pulled over his eyes?

Ron purchased 4 cars in approximately 6-7 years to the tune of over $250,000 and all of them were serviced at Tafel while under warranty. I have all the service records that probably add up to over $20K+ as Ron was good at making sure all the cars were serviced in an appropriate fashion. He was also a very good record keeper. I challenge you to look up these figures as they are not exaggerated.

I wish this did not leave such a sour taste in my mouth, but the damage has been done. Stacey cost you all a customer and who knows about future customers. She does not represent what someone in her position should. She did not put the company nor its interest as priority one. I hope bringing this to light will help some other customer in the future if they are ever in the same situation. And if it does I hope thier issue will be handled differently.

Thanks for listening,

Paul H. on behalf of the late Ron Brown and family.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Yellow98Cobra, Good letter and thanks for sharing this unfortunate experience with us. Your experience shows the importance of keeping good records on car maintenance and the importance of having a dealership that will go to bat for you when the going with MB gets tough. Your dealership is a disgrace and the way they abandoned you is unconscionable.
I am sorry to hear about your father in law passing away, sympathy to you and the family. Now that this nightmare is about over, hopefully you will have a car that provides many years of trouble free driving. TwinCam
Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM

2000 E430
Twin,

Thanks a lot. I fell like driving the car through their new showroom, but thats just the anger talking. The both people I sent it to responded. The one from the service manager was about how I thought it would go..blah blah were sorry...blah blah..we'll talk to her...blah blah..more BS. Now, the one from the owner is the one I am waiting to hear. He responded that he was leaving the country and will be back next week. I believe him and really want to hear how he will handle it. I know that if my boss, THE BOSS, got the same email about me I would be crapping in my pants. I guess it could have been worse, money wise, but it was still a tough pill to swallow and it wasnt even my money. Car is being sold as my mother in law dosent want or need it. Now that adventure begins.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM

2000 E430
Oh, anyone know where I should send that email to at MBUSA?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
did they ever show you the old heads or explain what the exact problem was ? did they tell you what the compression difference was seems very odd and very expensive to just slap on a set of heads if it was a valve seat problem that can be fixed without replacing the whole head,MB just replaces stuff and then they find out they misdiagnosed it and come up with some lame excuse how its now something else.I would ask to see old heads and keep them ,bring them to the scrap yard they are aluminum lol after spending that kind of money at that dealership there are ways around charging you anything for that repair do you think if the owners wifes sl had that problem it wouldnt have been warrenteed