SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Navigation system in SL 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 550
Navigation system in SL 550

As I posted to other thread, my wife drives 2011 SL550. So far, everything in the car looks great except for the navigation system. It came with a small screen compared to that in my Lexus SUV. The navigation system in Lexus is very user friendly. When we drive out of the state, the navigation system saved our time and effort. It performs flawlessly. I like it very much. On the other hand, the nav command in SL 550 is rather hard to learn and tough to rely on it. One of the problems is that POI does not list well known places. Once we want to drive to Santa Fe, NM, to have a steak dinner in a well-known steakhouse (our previous governor's hangout place) was not listed in the POI. Well-designed POI would save us a lot of our time for setting a destination. I felt that MB should improve its nav system further. Am I only one who complaints about it?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
The new Comand system is supposed to be greatly improved, and will be out in some of the 2012 M-B models. The C, CLS, CL, and S (at least) are supposed to have it. IMO the German makes have been slower than the Japanese companies to have advanced navi systems. I think that up to recently M-B, BMW, and Audi have thought telemetrics aren't that essential. M-B's high tech center is here in Palo Alto, so maybe there's hope Silicon Valley's talent pool will bring new technology to bear.