SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Cat Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Cat Problem

While I was on vacation up north, one of my catalytic converters went out (honey comb broke) and was making an unpleastant noise. I went to a local mullfer shop to see if they could help. They called Mercedes and they quoted $1100 for the part. I figured I could get a temporary fix and get home and find a cheaper alternative. I had the shop straight pipe the converters.

The car sounds good, but the low end tork isn't what it use to be. I also did a search on SL 500 Cat's and found they were warrantied, but MB will not help now, since they have been removed. So my question is has anyone used a after market Cat and if so, how has it worked out? I would hate to spend the money on the original cat from MB if there is a alternative. Please let me know! Any help would be great. I have searched on the net and can not find anyone other than the deal that sells these. Plus I am in California which makes it even harder for after market cats.

thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Not sure about Cali with the strict exhaust regulations.... but any high flow cat can take the place of the two secondary cats. If you are noticing a loss in low end torque it is just a lack of back pressure in the exhaust system.

Also take into account that at top end of the rpm range you will notice more horsepower

I didn't notice any difference but the sound when I straight piped mine. A few people who have done it recently have been posting about it though so i guess it is a problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Contact

mbusa customer service in NJ
explain the jam you were in,that you were out of CA and needed CA carb approved cats and the option you had to take in order to get home.
If you had under 80K miles
They may oblige you.

If not call Ron at germanstar.net $500 for stainless CA cat front to rear
ask if they have your year SL

magnaflow was working on a universal carb approved secondary cat so check there also.

You can find a shop to splice in a resonator and H-pipe to gain back some of the back pressure that you are loosing in your exhaust scavenging.

Start with Montvale first
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
One Mercedes Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645
1-800-FOR-MERCEDES
MBUSA.com