SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Removing the CD Changer from Back Platform

Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
Removing the CD Changer from Back Platform

I have a stuck CD in my 6 CD cartridge. It would not go back in the holder when I tried to change a disk. I tried to eject the CD cartridge yet the Command center now says that there is not CD magazine in system.

Does anyone know:
1. How to free up the CD so it slides back in to the CD holder in the cartridge?
or
2. How to remove the entire CD assembly from the back compartment that holds the CD player assembly.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 AMG C63S Coupe, Kawasaki ZX10R
I have the same problem as you. I did not manage to get the CD's out of the magazine (yet). I have ordered one of these to replace my CD-changer: http://www.mercedes-player.com/epage...bjectID=336373

This thread contains information regarding how to remove the CD-changer from the car: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...-sl-500-a.html
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM

2004 SL500
Boy, it looks like a lot of work to take all of the panels off just to remove the changer. Not sure what I am going to do. I can see the CD stuck yet after a lot of wiggling and moving the CD sideways, it still will not slide back in the magazine. I am going to take it to a car audio shop and see if they have any tricks.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Yes, it is a lot of work. First you have to remove the side panels, and the backpanel. Then the luggage boxes and covers before removing the changer itself.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 PM

2004 SL500
Have you tried it. I saw the pictures of how to remove them and it sounded like I would have screwed it up.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM

No, not yet. I'm still waiting for the mp3-player to arrive. But I'm going to do it. Taking my time and following the instructions should do it I hope.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500, 2007 C230
the mp3 player sounds cool, but why not just burn a mp3 audio cd since our cars read them in the cd player at the front?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 PM

That's a good idea, but in my case I'm using the navigation-cd a lot so it's more practical for me to play cd's or mp3 from an external unit.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM

sl600/Kleemann-ecu:tcu- 2015 E250CDI -Navion MB Sprinter
stoofpilot,

I had to get to the bottom of the cd changer to loop the fiber optics to make my cartronics unit work with my iphone 4. It takes time to take out all the panels. The only way to get to the cdc is to pull the whole glove box out.

Here's what i used to do it. It does not show it all but it got me started.

http://www.cartronics.com/03sl.htm

Hope this helps.

Trimix

Last edited by trimix; 04-14-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: change
Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot
Have you tried it. I saw the pictures of how to remove them and it sounded like I would have screwed it up.
I have done it twice now. The first time I was under the impression that there might be an aux input underneath the CD changer... I was wrong on that one.

It's really not difficult at all, just time consuming. Make sure to watch while loosening bolts to make sure they do not drop into inaccessible places. Also be careful around the hydraulic tubes for the cargo compartment lids. They aren't fragile but mostly just short so the lid won't move far or even out of the way really.

Has anyone here installed any of those MP3 player aftermarket units? I'm thinking about it as the MP3 cds just don't hold enough songs to suit my tastes and the DVD MP3 takes so long to load I forget I have the COMAND unit turned on.

-Rook3300
Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM

2004 SL500
Toby, I was at my dealer today and told the Service Manager about the cd being stuck between the magazine and player. He told me to press the eject button and at the same time quickly use your finger and tap hard on the top of the magazine many times. Keep relegating the process.

Sure enough, the cd went back in the sleeve and the magazine popped out! I am going to burn one cd with all my songs as mg3 format and never need to switch cd's again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stoofpilot:
moretech (11-29-2017), N C Jewell (11-28-2017)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 PM

Stoofpilot, thanks for the tip. I'm going to try that tomorrow. Hopefully it will do the trick.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM
rvb

SL500 R230
Finger tapping works

Thanks Stoofpilot - I had started the dismantling process and gave this a try and it took all of 5 seconds. I just pressed the eject button and prodded the cassette quite hard and it just popped out. What did we do before the Internet? Made MB dealers wealthy I think!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 AM

SL500
Talking cd now working after 3 years

You guys rock, pressed the eject button and tapped really hard on the cd changer cartridge and out it popped....

I have my CD changer working for the first time in years, can't thank you guys enough for the tip
Old 11-28-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't thank you enough

A CD sleeve was stuck in the magazine with CDs from our Library. For several days I googled and tried myriad tricks for freeing it up - I was ready to tear the whole contraption out of my car when I came across this forum and saw the tip "hold the eject button and tap hard on the magazine" - it sounded too simple, un-technological, and un-mechanical but was ready to try anything. Out it popped! THANK YOU!!
The following users liked this post:
Heatwave (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
hold the eject button and tap hard on the magazine

That's the simplest MB "fix" I've run across. I'm going to write that note in my owner's manual. Many thanks.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sl55 AMG
I have just completed removal of the CD player on my SL55.

I have replaced it with a Mercedes Player MP-40 which is great

You do not have to remove all the panels as per the tutorials above.

Simply open the storage cupboard lid, pop off the removable front cover and black plastic shelf inside.

Then remove the screws that hold the CD player to inside of the metal frame.

Admittedly it is quite fiddly as you access the screws from the top.

Using a right angle screwdriver and a torch remove the 4nr screws at both sides of the cd.

Once the screws are undone simply lift the cd up and unplug the power and fibre optic cables.

My mechanic was able to do the entire job in 15 minutes
Old 08-11-2021, 03:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman600
I have just completed removal of the CD player on my SL55.

I have replaced it with a Mercedes Player MP-40 which is great

You do not have to remove all the panels as per the tutorials above.

Simply open the storage cupboard lid, pop off the removable front cover and black plastic shelf inside.

Then remove the screws that hold the CD player to inside of the metal frame.

Admittedly it is quite fiddly as you access the screws from the top.

Using a right angle screwdriver and a torch remove the 4nr screws at both sides of the cd.

Once the screws are undone simply lift the cd up and unplug the power and fibre optic cables.

My mechanic was able to do the entire job in 15 minutes
Hi Batman600,

Do you recall what type of screws the 4 screws that hold the CD changer to the metal bracket were? Regular Philips or Torx screws?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2021, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by Jimmy325
Hi Batman600,

Do you recall what type of screws the 4 screws that hold the CD changer to the metal bracket were? Regular Philips or Torx screws?

Thanks!
To help others:

You can remove the CD changer in minutes without removing any panels. There are just 4 hex head phillips screws, 2 either side of the CD changer

You can use a small spanner or long nose pliers, the top one is easier than the bottom one!

In a video I did I mention and show you the position at 45secs:

P.S I am selling my old fully working CD changer if anyone wants it:
http://ebay.us/Ht2Whx?cmpnId=5338273189

Good luck

Last edited by A1EK; 08-11-2021 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by A1EK
To help others:

You can remove the CD changer in minutes without removing any panels. There are just 4 hex head phillips screws, 2 either side of the CD changer

You can use a small spanner or long nose pliers, the top one is easier than the bottom one!

In a video I did I mention and show you the position at 45secs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCCM...annel=GrooveOn

P.S I am selling my old fully working CD changer if anyone wants it:
http://ebay.us/Ht2Whx?cmpnId=5338273189

Good luck
A1EK!

Thank you!!!

By the way I read on the Mr12volt site as well as their eBay listing, that if you have the CD changer, then you need to install the optical loop, picture below.

In your video, it sounds like you plugged the optical connector that went into the CD changer directly into the Mr12volt box. Did you have to plug in the optical loop somewhere?

By the way, another quick question. I saw your video on the screen replacement for the comand head unit, thank you for that! Did you notice that after you put in the replacement screen that the text and graphics on the screen appear slightly lower than the original screen?

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2021, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A1EK!

Thank you!!!

By the way I read on the Mr12volt site as well as their eBay listing, that if you have the CD changer, then you need to install the optical loop, picture below.

In your video, it sounds like you plugged the optical connector that went into the CD changer directly into the Mr12volt box. Did you have to plug in the optical loop somewhere?

By the way, another quick question. I saw your video on the screen replacement for the comand head unit, thank you for that! Did you notice that after you put in the replacement screen that the text and graphics on the screen appear slightly lower than the original screen?

Thank you!
Hi there

Nope no loop, I did buy one, its not needed though, just unplug your old CD changer optic and plug that into the Mr 12V , you can then run an extension AUX cable, USB cable or microphone of you do not have the Mercedes handsfree to the front.

All the song information when streaming bluetooth or using USB will come up on your Comand unit now, you can use the steering wheel buttons and Comand buttons to skip tracks or go back etc. It will self connect when you have your phones bluetooth on too, I use Deezer and listen to everything in my car, you will not miss your changer trust me !

As for the screen YES ! you are correct, the bottom of the fonts are in line with the plastic Comand surround but only just, in hind site I could have easily moved this up slightly before fastening the screws, but its hardly noticable. on the flip side I see more of the top section now !

Last edited by A1EK; 08-11-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:51 PM

Hi there

Nope no loop, I did buy one, its not needed though, just unplug your old CD changer optic and plug that into the Mr 12V , you can then run an extension AUX cable, USB cable or microphone of you do not have the Mercedes handsfree to the front.

All the song information when streaming bluetooth or using USB will come up on your Comand unit now, you can use the steering wheel buttons and Comand buttons to skip tracks or go back etc. It will self connect when you have your phones bluetooth on too, I use Deezer and listen to everything in my car, you will not miss your changer trust me !

As for the screen YES ! you are correct, the bottom of the fonts are in line with the plastic Comand surround but only just, in hind site I could have easily moved this up slightly before fastening the screws, but its hardly noticable. on the flip side I see more of the top section now !
A1EK,

Thank you so much for the reply. You have no idea how much you have helped people out all over the world with explanation and short videos related to our beloved R230 SL's. Thank you!

Just a couple more quick things to confirm with you on the install of Mr12Volt.

1. You tapped power from the unswitched power cable that originally plugged into the CD changer right?

2. In order to remove the cover plate that sits flush with the top of the CD changer, you loosened the 2 screws near the top of the CD changer facing the seat back and wiggled the cover plate/piece up and out?

Thank you!!
Old 08-12-2021, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A1EK,

Thank you so much for the reply. You have no idea how much you have helped people out all over the world with explanation and short videos related to our beloved R230 SL's. Thank you!

Just a couple more quick things to confirm with you on the install of Mr12Volt.

1. You tapped power from the unswitched power cable that originally plugged into the CD changer right?

2. In order to remove the cover plate that sits flush with the top of the CD changer, you loosened the 2 screws near the top of the CD changer facing the seat back and wiggled the cover plate/piece up and out?

Thank you!!
Thanks so much for your kind words, if I am helping people save money and time, I am happy !!

Point 1 above - Yes just find the switched power +12VDC on the harness (yellow and red), think I showed this in my video, then find the neg (brown) or just use any grounding point obviously.

Point 2 above - Absolutely spot on, there are two screws that face the rear on the plastic frame part where you pull the front panel trim off. The metal plate is aluminium so will bend a little, don't worry though you can bend it back into shape easily. the bottom of the plate sits in grooves.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2007 SL550
Thanks so much for your kind words, if I am helping people save money and time, I am happy !!

Point 1 above - Yes just find the switched power +12VDC on the harness (yellow and red), think I showed this in my video, then find the neg (brown) or just use any grounding point obviously.

Point 2 above - Absolutely spot on, there are two screws that face the rear on the plastic frame part where you pull the front panel trim off. The metal plate is aluminium so will bend a little, don't worry though you can bend it back into shape easily. the bottom of the plate sits in grooves.

A1EK and Jimmy325:
I will just chime in with another question as this is a great discussion: from what I see here there is no need to connect anything behind the head unit (as shown in Mr. 12volt instructions) is that right? We only need to plug the CD changer plug into the Mr. 12 volt, feed it power, and it can sit near the CD changer and we can run USB & Aux cables from there? This is vastly simpler than digging behind the head unit. Thanks
Old 08-12-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sozo
A1EK and Jimmy325:
I will just chime in with another question as this is a great discussion: from what I see here there is no need to connect anything behind the head unit (as shown in Mr. 12volt instructions) is that right? We only need to plug the CD changer plug into the Mr. 12 volt, feed it power, and it can sit near the CD changer and we can run USB & Aux cables from there? This is vastly simpler than digging behind the head unit. Thanks
Hi Sozo,

I've read multiple threads multiple times, and yes what you describe is what I've been reading. This is the solution I've been looking for for a few years now. :-) I typically would like to gather as much info as I can before I get started so I won't get stuck half way through.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Sozo (08-12-2021)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Removing the CD Changer from Back Platform