SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Grooves on Front Rotor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Grooves on Front Rotor?

Hey guys I have a 05 Sl500 with about 27k on it and I was looking it over yesterday and I found that the front rotors have kind of a smooth circumferential groove to it when I run my fingers from the outside to the inside. I check the back rotors and its completely smooth. I took this to get the schedule maintenance and inspection about 2-3k miles ago and I wasn't told there were any issues with the breaks or that the pads needed replacing. No issues with breaking but just didn't want this to escalate.

I've never really bothered to check before and was wondering does anyone else have this or can anyone check their rotors when they are free real quick?

Thanks it is really appreciated!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: Rotor Grooves

I have found that when the OEM pads have been in service for a while, they become heat glazed, brittle and cause grooves in the rotors as you see. Also had this occur with my SL600 at about 23K miles.

I replaced the front pads with OEM spec Pagids about 500 miles ago; not only are the rotors noticably smoother again, but more importantly, my stopping distances are much shorter too. In my case it was likely the result of too many triple digit slow downs, but the OEM pads were clearly heat glazed and glass smooth. The OEM pads were at about 50% thickness, rotors were hardly worn at all.

If your rotors are not too thin (min spec), and they are probably fine at your mileage, try replacing the front pads. Depending on your mechanical aptitude, it is not difficult. The only special consideration for your car is to pull the SBC fuses, I pulled 4, to ensure SBC is disabled before starting work.