SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL500 ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 4matic
2003 SL500 ideas?

Hey guys just doing some checking. I currently drive a 2010 3 series coupe as my daily and I am currently in a place in my life to get the dream car of my life the SL. I have found one i really like its a 2003 silver with the nav package and sport i believe. Only problem it has is 91k miles. Is this high miles for this year? Service records look good and price is $22k? Figured I would come back to the experts and see what is a fair price and any problems that I would know of? This car is going to be a garage queen/sunny day car, so I was wondering if this would be a problem or anything? Let me know some input etc thanks guys

Tyler
Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk320
I picked up an 03 SL500 with 96k recently. All the main stuff works and service records show tranny and suspension updated by factory over last few years.

A few things to think about.

The whole suspension is hydrolic and very expensive and prone to faulter. Mine has been updated, but when it goes, $$$

The convertible tops, trunks, hoods hydrolics are problematic. My top was updated and works great. Trunk was falling on head, but a shock replacement was easy. Front hood still good and I imagine an easy fix like trunk. convertible top, not so easy and $$$

seats have a tone of features such as massage and dynamic handling that are based on air pumps and bags which are very prone to failure. I got one massage on the way home. No more massages. I hear $$$ to fix.

Other than the up and down nature of the hydrolic suspension, the ball joints and control arm bushings seem to not last much longer than the mileage you have. Again, some $$$, but wont kill you.

Little things on interior stop closing properly. Glove box, door compartments, cig lighter cover, also grungy stuff on the center a/c vents. I've figured out some by DIY, but not others.

Nav is pretty lame compared to the modern Garmins. I have no upcoming street indicators and the maps are very very old. Yesterday it told me to do a u-turn right on a freeway off ramp. You will see. Tempted to just not use it.

Just my 2cents

Ken . . .