SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: How to make enjoyable driving in hot summer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 550
How to make enjoyable driving in hot summer?

My wife has 7-month old 2011 SL 550. We decided to make a pleasure driving yesterday (last Sunday). This was the first countryside venture this year. Everybody including us loves to drive the top down on the road. During the initial 100 miles, we enjoyed the driving. In the afternoon, the temperature ranged from 93 to 99 F. Since then, driving the top down was unbearable because of the high heat. With the windows up, we felt that we are just about to be fried. When the windows open a half-way, I get some cool air but it became too noisy. My wife got sick from the boiling heat.

At some point, we pulled the car roadside and raised the top, and started air-conditioning. That's how we finished the drive yesterday. Pleasure drive became a half-nightmare drive. I now learned the limited usefulness of the roadster. I almost felt to start air-conditioner but with the top down, the air conditioner system surely will be knocked out. I wonder how you guys handle driving under such a high heat with the top down during summer time. I thought the the pleasure of driving the roadster was for summer driving. I would like to learn some tips from you.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
I think you learned the first tip... when it is hot out, you put your nice metal roof up and enjoy the AC. The magic happens around dusk when you put the top back down and motor through the evening's warm air and enjoy what stars your local light pollution has not hidden from you. There are also those wonderful mornings where you can have a pleasant commute to work in the fresh air.

If you insist on top down in the high heat, put on a hat and put the AC on your feet. that will help a little.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:36 PM

SL 550
Originally Posted by Zaddick
I think you learned the first tip... when it is hot out, you put your nice metal roof up and enjoy the AC. The magic happens around dusk when you put the top back down and motor through the evening's warm air and enjoy what stars your local light pollution has not hidden from you. There are also those wonderful mornings where you can have a pleasant commute to work in the fresh air.

If you insist on top down in the high heat, put on a hat and put the AC on your feet. that will help a little.
If I turn on AC in open air, I thought that it would kill AC. Isn't that so? Please excuse my ignoarance.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 Lamborghini Diablo, 2009 SL65 (sold), 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
Originally Posted by coldlshower
If I turn on AC in open air, I thought that it would kill AC. Isn't that so? Please excuse my ignoarance.
Its not going to kill it. It will work harder. The AC system will shut off if any of the pressures approach the design limits. Just keep an eye on the engine temperature if it is a very hot day.

Wow, 99F with the top down. Must have been like a sauna. I leave the top up if the sun is out and the temperature is above 70F. Best time is on a dark road when the stars are out.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM

SL 550
Originally Posted by falconsprint
Its not going to kill it. It will work harder. The AC system will shut off if any of the pressures approach the design limits. Just keep an eye on the engine temperature if it is a very hot day.

Wow, 99F with the top down. Must have been like a sauna. I leave the top up if the sun is out and the temperature is above 70F. Best time is on a dark road when the stars are out.
Thanks. Nice to know how to watch AC. When we bought the car, we never asked about "Do" and "Don't". When we were on mountain road, we did not feel any heat. It was sort of windy day. It never reached 90F . When we entered freeway on the way home, I started to see that the thermometer on the dashboard registered from 93, 94. ... 99F. When it hit above 94, the top was already up. I am learning this stuff the hardway.

BTW, I am impressed with the performance of the AC. With the top up, car was very comfortable. AC was very quiet and equilibrated to 76F rather quickly. I drive Lexus SUV (GX 470). This car makes a lot of noise when AC is on. It takes forever to equilibrate to lower temperature. Compared to Lexus GX (Lexus ES before), SL 550 is equipped with a fantastic AC.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by Zaddick
Well said
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I tend to wear flip flips in the summer. So, on days like you mentioned, I'll do what the above poster said. I'll manually set the air flow into the floor, crank the fan to the highest setting, and activate the ventilated seats. You'll be surprised at how comfortable it feels with that ice cold air on your bare feet.

But sure, sometimes it gets unbearable and top must come up.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 SL550
Good idea Zaddick. Tried it and it does seem to help.

You will not hurt your car by running the a/c full blast with the top down. I live in TX and it's over 100 here and I do it all the time. The system is engineered to work for an indefinite period of time in any temp you'll find on earth. The engine will have a greater load on it and generate more heat but that's what the cooling system is for. If there's a problem you will definitely know via warning lights and messages before any damage is done.

In terms of Do's and Don'ts just treat like you would any car. Don't try to put it in reverse when you're going 70. Don't push both the gas and brake at the same for very long (if ever). Can't really think of anything else to worry about. Anyone else know what would be bad specifically for this car? Maybe constantly turning ABC sport on and off?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:38 AM

SL 550
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I tend to wear flip flips in the summer. So, on days like you mentioned, I'll do what the above poster said. I'll manually set the air flow into the floor, crank the fan to the highest setting, and activate the ventilated seats. You'll be surprised at how comfortable it feels with that ice cold air on your bare feet.

But sure, sometimes it gets unbearable and top must come up.
Benz-0-rRama,

Since my wife is travlling in Japan now, I took out her car from our garage and drove for a while yesterday. Temperataure was sizzling hot, about 100-102 F. I tried your suggestion to cool my body. I could comfortably drive around under such hot temperature. I enjoyed driving. My question to you is whether both of car windows should be raised or not. I like to hear your experience.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Benz-0-rRama,

Since my wife is travlling in Japan now, I took out her car from our garage and drove for a while yesterday. Temperataure was sizzling hot, about 100-102 F. I tried your suggestion to cool my body. I could comfortably drive around under such hot temperature. I enjoyed driving. My question to you is whether both of car windows should be raised or not. I like to hear your experience.

I'll do both. On local roads, I'll have the windows down, because I'm very vain, and like to be seen. As soon as I hit a highway, all 4 windows and the rear windscreen/rollbar go up. With everything up, in 95* heat, you can still manage to get a chill to come over you, using the method I posted above.

It's rather amazing how much of a cocoon these cars are if you do just this. Who'd have thought that with the top down, all 4 windows and the windscreen up, that barely a hair will move on my pretty little head.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM

SL 550
I'll do both. On local roads, I'll have the windows down, because I'm very vain, and like to be seen. As soon as I hit a highway, all 4 windows and the rear windscreen/rollbar go up. With everything up, in 95* heat, you can still manage to get a chill to come over you, using the method I posted above.

It's rather amazing how much of a cocoon these cars are if you do just this. Who'd have thought that with the top down, all 4 windows and the windscreen up, that barely a hair will move on my pretty little head.
Yesterday, I did not raise the windows on city roads and short free way around city. I intended to get cool air. It was wonderful, nice drive under the hot sunrays. Thanks for nice tip.

BTW, when I manually set the air flow into the floor, I see that AC Auto light was off but I found that AC was still active because I was getting cool air into the floor and my legs.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yesterday, I did not raise the windows on city roads and short free way around city. I intended to get cool air. It was wonderful, nice drive under the hot sunrays. Thanks for nice tip.

BTW, when I manually set the air flow into the floor, I see that AC Auto light was off but I found that AC was still active because I was getting cool air into the floor and my legs.
Correct, the auto light will turn off. This is because the system is no longer determining where to send the airflow, and how hard to send it. You're doing that. Also, hit the recirc button, and it'll blow even harder.

Another thing I do, when by myself, is set the passenger side to blow out of the midlevel/face vents. I then put a cold drink in the passenger side cupholder and angle the vents towards the drink. Keeps it cool for my drive.

That only applies to the 2005+ cars , that get the in dash cupholders.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 07-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:18 PM

2013 SL550 Tectite Black
I just blast the AC and it's fine. In NJ, we've had a couple of high 90's last month... and I had to pull over and put the top down since it got unbearably hot. Anything under 90 degrees, windows all the way up and AC blasting does the trick.

Just my 0.02...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM

05 SL500, 08 ML320CDI, 06 E320CDI, 06 BoxsterS
On my 05 SL when I run the A/C on auto with the top down the system does not run harder, the car is engineered to run that way. In fact when I put the top up, then the fan kicks up to high speed temporarily to adjust the cabin temp. Wear a hat and cool your seat is a must too, but over about 90 I prefer top up.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM

2011 ML350 & 2011 SL550
Any time the temp reaches above 90, the top goes up. Here in South Carolina we have had a brutal summer with a ton of consecutive 94+ degree days - hotter than I can remember.

Top up or top down, my SL is much more comfortable than my 650i or XKR ever were; the AC and cooled seats work really well.

Fall will be here before we know it and I'll drive topless until the temp dips into the 30's!!! AirScarf and heated seats...

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 AM

SL 500
All the tips are on point, but down here in S-Florida you are not going to be driving around in the daily heat and have any of those suggested methods cool you off....o well it is nice at night, and fall & winter are on the way, thats when its paradise in Florida....I will be driving to the golf course with the top down and some of you guys will be snowed in LOL!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM

2007 SL550
good stuff on the ac at the feet...at least in CA when its 95 its a DRY 95....windows down except over 55...black on black does not help but the ventilated cooling seats do a little !!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic, 2004 SL600

That only applies to the 2005+ cars , that get the in dash cupholders.
My '04 SL600 has the cupholders on the dash...right under the command system and above the HVAC controls....
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM

83' 380sl
I'm in south Florida, boy the summers can be rough. I just recently bought an sl so we'll see. Might want to get the AC fixed in a few months.