SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: When will SL 350 be available in U.S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Originally Posted by jl88
C2Jones, You do know how much the SL weighs, correct? SL350 gets about 1mpg better than the SL550.
Here, let me restate what I had already just stated in my very last post here:

"The more preferred novelty is having a lesser known model (like 350) that is regarded as more responsible in that it is a V6 (irrespective of how the math actually works with mileage)."

So yea, go back to getting the last word about in the ZR1 vs SL65!!!!!! thread.
Are you being snide here? That ZR1/SL65 thread is now beneath me. There has not been any real content there from quality people in some time now, truth be told. Even those I saw things differently from (like German, etc.) always maintained intelligible content, not personal attacks. And for this thread, what do YOU care whether my spouse prefers the SL350 or not? If the 350 is not available, then so be it. How is there any skin off your back for this? No one is suggesting your choices or forcing your participation.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL styling with a less thirsty V6 engine.
Hey look, I can play your silly game too!

Originally Posted by boylston View Post
I hope that Mercedes rethinks their position, now that premium is headed to $5 per gallon and people are making a greater effort to conserve. It's not as much about the $ as it is environmental responsibility. I'd buy an SL350.
Precisely. Its about doing one's part, even in some small way, and/or at least, about perception from others, but especially internally. This is rather important to my wife. Where we live, there are SL's everywhere - including AMG's of all levels.
What part are you exactly doing? You're making zero impact to the environment. And if you live in an area with a wide range of elevation, you'll probably end up using more gas than a SL550/55/63/65?!

Its just the matter of fuel consumption for other considerations. For some people, just being conscientious and considerate towards less dependency on foreign oil (getting to be a cliché now) is a more desirable way to go. Call it environmentally or fiscally responsible if you will.
Hey look, you make no sense, but whatever. You're using the same amount of gas, if not more.

You, sir, are what we in LA affectionally call "balling on a budget". Go back to your Brabus knockoff wheels. And instead of pretending you can afford a SL, but you want to be environmentally conscious, just buy a SLK300. I HERD THEYRE REEEEEAAAAAALLLLL CHEAP
Old 05-30-2008, 05:05 PM

2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
GUYS, GIVE IT A REST !!!! You're argueing over a point, in a 5 or 6 year old thread, that has nothing to do with the original post.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A couple of points: first, the idea that people who buy expensive cars should not worry about fuel consumption / the environment is both sad and stupid.

Second, the fuel consumption of the SL350 is significantly lower than the SL550, and since the former now has more power than before, nearly no US consumer has a reason to buy the more powerful car.

Fuel consumption increase for SL 550 vs 350

Highway: 12.2%
Combined 20.2%
City: 26.6%

Whoever said there is no fuel economy advantage is completely misinformed.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
A couple of points: first, the idea that people who buy expensive cars should not worry about fuel consumption / the environment is both sad and stupid.

Second, the fuel consumption of the SL350 is significantly lower than the SL550, and since the former now has more power than before, nearly no US consumer has a reason to buy the more powerful car.

Combined 20.2%

If my translation is somewhat correct, here are the numbers based on the tech data from MB.
SL550 - City: ~13 mpg Hwy: ~28.4 mpg
SL350 - City: ~17.5 mpg Hwy: ~33.7 mpg

So I agree with "Untertürkheim" and call "jl88" numbers in question.

....You do know how much the SL weighs, correct? SL350 gets about 1mpg better than the SL550....
Please provide the ref data you used to come to that conclusion.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 PM

05 E500
Hey look, I can play your silly game too!
My statement stands: SL styling with a less thirsty V6 engine.

And if you live in an area with a wide range of elevation, you'll probably end up using more gas than a SL550/55/63/65?!
I don't see how you could figure such a thing. Besides, we live in a flat landscape with lots of traffic. That V6 would go over well all the way around; economy, practicality, internal perceptions, onward.

Hey look, you make no sense, but whatever. You're using the same amount of gas, if not more.
We'll wait on what you say to begin to make sense. On the fuel mileage, you're not accurate.

You, sir, are what we in LA affectionally call "balling on a budget". Go back to your Brabus knockoff wheels. And instead of pretending you can afford a SL, but you want to be environmentally conscious, just buy a SLK300. I HERD THEYRE REEEEEAAAAAALLLLL CHEAP
None of this deserves a response.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM

05 E500
Originally Posted by Dragoncoach
GUYS, GIVE IT A REST. You're arguing over a point, in a 5 or 6 year old thread, that has nothing to do with the original post.
I hear you. Indeed the thread was old, but as I stated, I saw no reason to initiate a new thread when the topic question remained the same. (Call it bandwidth conservation. ) That being, on whether the 350 might come here. Then the benefits of the 350 then became the topic, for better or worse.

Regarding the arguing, I agree. I tell you, honestly this was a perfectly simple and civil thread. Nothing more than a mere simple question was asked and answered. This is the beauty of these forums - they're educational and allow us to compare notes and ideas. Then the one person came in and got testy and pointed without provocation. Seems to unfortunately always happen to every otherwise perfectly civil thread before such pointed remarks. Real shame.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 PM

05 E500
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim

Combined 20.2%

Nice job here. Thanks for the data.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:37 PM

05 E500
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
If my translation is somewhat correct, here are the numbers based on the tech data from MB.

SL550 - City: ~13 mpg Hwy: ~28.4 mpg
SL350 - City: ~17.5 mpg Hwy: ~33.7 mpg

So I agree with "Untertürkheim" and call "jl88" numbers in question.

Please provide the ref data you used to come to that conclusion.
Another heads-up and thanks to amdeutsch as well. Great data here.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
In Germany, they sell an SL280. Good thing we didn't ask for that model.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM

2006 CLK350
I think MB does their research before introducing, or choosing not to introduce a certain car to the US market. They feel 1. People who are willing to buy the SL will gladly pay the 90k starting price, so sell a cheaper version? OR 2. No one who buys a $90,000 car wants a small V6 (in China/ Hong Kong, all i saw were S350/CL350s)
Old 05-31-2008, 03:08 PM

05 E500
Originally Posted by iguess
I think MB does their research before introducing, or choosing not to introduce a certain car to the US market. OR 2. No one who buys a $90,000 car wants a small V6 (in China/ Hong Kong, all I saw were S350/CL350s)
Good points. Perhaps you're right; perhaps this is the thinking of MB. As they are one of the few luxury automakers that are actually getting productive market results right now (and as a stock owner I can see that this is clearly evident) and those research criterion that they're using are working for them. So who's to question their direction.

That said, their quality issues of 2003-2006 show that they are capable of some misdirection. They have made significant changes to better things now as a result of those setbacks. And, likewise, perhaps a rethinking of the V6 matter perhaps should come to the front as well. Times are changing - especially in the States - the sub-$100K car buyer in the states just might very well pay for SL styling with economic mileage (and internal responsibility perception/satisfaction) all in the same car. I would suspect onward bio-diesel propulsion upcoming in sportier models as well.

Chinese/Hong Kong economy is going forward and more of the populace than ever can afford MB's - MB marketshare has increased dramatically in recent years there. Economic standards have helped there, even within the MB direction. Perhaps a limited (test) release of 350 should be considered in the States in select regional markets. I personally, IMHO, think they would sell these handily and rapidly. In South Florida and Southern California, I think 350 would represent something of a commodity.

Last edited by c2jones; 05-31-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
How about an SL350H? Take the 300hp direct injection V6 from the SLK and add a hybrid system. It would have SL550 performance with a much less fuel consumption. I would be interested in buying one.

Of course the SL350H is completely fictional, but AMG has stated they will be looking at hybrid options, so anything is possible.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 AM

05 E500
Originally Posted by dunderhi
How about an SL350H? Take the 300hp direct injection V6 from the SLK and add a hybrid system. It would have SL550 performance with a much less fuel consumption. I would be interested in buying one.

Of course the SL350H is completely fictional, but AMG has stated they will be looking at hybrid options, so anything is possible.
Hmm. I like your line of thinking. Whether this is ever reality or not, its a novel idea and at least plausible, if conditions and MB marketing angle were favorable.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Where are you going to place the battery in the SL? A hybrid SL cannot be done simply due to space constraints and logistics of battery ventilation and such. Europeans aleady can get the SL350 with the new Direct Injection V6. It will be standard trim for all models soon, starting with the SLK, ML, C, and others. Even the new E350 (W212 - 2010) will have the motor.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 AM

05 E500
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Where are you going to place the battery in the SL? A hybrid SL cannot be done simply due to space constraints and logistics of battery ventilation and such.
Fair question. We can only speculate and hope. S and M classes are stated to be up for hybrid first. Perhaps, as you infer, the logistics of battery ventilation on S / M allow conditions not suited for SL. However, newer battery designs are forthcoming.

I know that the compact overseas bluetec GLK program got very creative... The battery mode should not require as much ventilation? Is this fair to say?

..."disc-shaped electric motor between the CDI engine and the automatic transmission..." and a "compact lithium-ion battery" charged two ways; including under braking. "Daimler says it has integrated the lithium-ion battery into a climate control system, ensuring the technology is able to work between temperatures of 15-35°C, while the weight/power ratio of the entire battery is 1,900 watts per litre (W/L)."

The battery offers efficiency, long service life, and great reliability, according to Daimler, while safety matches currently-used auto batteries.

http://benzinsider.com/2008/02/clean...luetec-hybrid/

Batteries:

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/new...bluehybrid.asp

Perhaps something innovative can be done with SL. Maybe they should go 100% electric. New battery design here also has two-way charging.

http://benzinsider.com/2008/03/merce...-electric-car/

Last edited by c2jones; 06-01-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Its good to see Mercedes went the way of Honda in basically sandwiching an electric motor between the engine and the transmission versus the complicated Toyota method.

Even with a lithium battery dont expect to see something in this iteration of the SL. Perhaps with the R231 or such you might see a hyrid variant, my dream would be a diesel hybrid from AMG.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iguess
I think MB does their research before introducing, or choosing not to introduce a certain car to the US market. They feel 1. People who are willing to buy the SL will gladly pay the 90k starting price, so sell a cheaper version? OR 2. No one who buys a $90,000 car wants a small V6 (in China/ Hong Kong, all i saw were S350/CL350s)
MBUSA is actually a very poorly run branch of DAG (formerly DBAG). They are known for being out of touch with the parent company and run somewhat on their own philosophy. Of course, an example:

The US market was the pioneering market for MB diesels. over 80% of MBs sold in the US during the early 80's were diesel-powered. Now, not counting the SUVs, MB sells one diesel car, the E320 Bluetec, that has very few options, and even less than comparable E-classes. If you look at the configurability of that model versus the other E's, you will see that it is not nearly as flexible (no sport package, less options, less interior choices). So, why would MBUSA knowingly constrain what should be the best selling model? More importantly, where are the diesel C, S, CLS, CLK, etc models?