SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Please Help: SL idling very poorly and puttering sound coming from the exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500
Please Help: SL idling very poorly and puttering sound coming from the exhaust

Here's the situation: I have had my 2004 SL500 parked for the past 6-7 weeks due to very crappy weather, then I was overloaded with work and then I went off traveling for a bit... it was one thing after another so I haven't had a chance to drive the car much all summer. I have had the car on the road before June 20th without any problems (did changed the starter battery in May).

Tried starting the car today hoping to finally have it back on the road this weekend... first, the engine would not turn over and all warning lights came on, even a red STOP sign came on. I quickly turned it off and pulled the key out. Waited a few minutes and then tried again. This time it did turn over but the car is running like crap. It's idling very poorly and a puttering sound coming from the exhaust. I let the car idle for about 10 minutes and then slowly pressed on the gas.. the car rev'd up and then drop straight down and then rev'd back up again by itself then stall the car. All the dash board warning lights came on. Tried it again and it did it again but didn't stall. It still idling very badly and the tailpipe is like puffing out the exhaust... no black smoke though.

Any ideas or suggestions? I did noticed a small oil leak on the floor.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 PM
B R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Taco
Maybe a rat or mouse chewed on some wires and/or nested in your intake ?