SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Pandora radio in the car using iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Pandora radio in the car using iPhone 4

Anyone tried this as I can't get it to work and must be missing a step or two.

08 SL550 and don't have a problem using the adaptor in the car to link up my music from itunes that go through ther ipod, although it always says my unit is not authorised. Anyway, tried using the same method and automatically it plays throught the speakers my ipod recordings. I then hit the far arrowed button on Pandora and I hear Pandora playing for exactly 3 seconds and then it cuts out to play my ipod recordings and I cant stop them to try and hear fro pandora(hope this is making sense, as it makes none to me...anyway, I attach a link that states it's simply a matter of using my bluetooth from the phone and it should work..but it doesnt?

http://www.davidforbes.net/archives/1783

Hope someone here has an answer as just found Pandora and its awesome.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:23 AM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Anyone????
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Get an Anystream adapter. Thet will solve your delima. The system in a MB defaults to the iPod function… so it is very difficult to trick it out of it. Just plug an Anystream onto the end of your car's iPod cable and then you can stream via bluetooth (and still stay connected to the car's phone system if installed). Sounds great and others have reviewed it.

http://cartronics.com

If you don't have the phone system, there are other options too that will combine the two.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Excellent, just what I was looking for and will call you on Monday.........but until then, on your web site you go on to state that the adaptor I appear to have already installed and is not apple compliant(although I can get the ipod to work) will not work correctly with your airstream unless I get a new adaptor supplied by mercedes. Is this correct?

Thx very much.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Not in an 08 SL, it has worked in every 08 SL so far. It is the next gen cars with that cable that have been problematic.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Car brought in May 08(which sometimes they refer to this being an 09 vehicle).

Am I still good to go with the original Adapter?

Thx.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It should.... Understand Mercedes has nearly 30 part number iPod cables, 16 different iPod "adapters" and about 60 versions of software across those 16 units. If you add that up, it is literally thousands of combinations. That is why we give a 100% money back guarantee. As of this date, we have sold hundreds of Anystreams, and only 3 have ever been returned (plus we may have our first defective on its way back to us). So they have been highly compatible and reliable (1 defective in about 260 sold - less than 1/10th of 1 percent...yeah!)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E coupe
anystream didn't work for me

my 2 cents on the cartronics anystream:

2012 e coupe so very new firmware. I used the ipod connector cable which i verified as being the one 'supported' by cartonics (Mercedes part number A 001 827 82 04) http://www.cartronics.com/POM.html

My phone, htc desire hd running android 2.3, connects fine to the anystream and the led on the anystream flashes once every 6 seconds suggesting the connection phone<--->anystream is fine.

However the media interface on the car is stuck at 'activating device' and nothing else happens.

For the record, I called anystream and they took my call and were very polite. However the suggested 'solution' is to go and buy a composite av cable with authentication chip from apple to connect the anystream via usb - this costs very close to the price i paid for the anystream. With this in mind I may have opted for a different solution (like the motorolla gateway). I am also in Cyprus so sending it back is not really an option/feasible/cost effective. Thus I'm left with a $80 square of plastic. I may eventually go buy the composite cable but at this point i'm weary of spending more money on something that may or may not work. Caveat emptor.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

However, as we explained to e_coup, elsewhere in these forums, several reviewers with the EXACT same car... it is working perfectly. This highlights the problem with some cars like a Mercedes Benz. Mercedes has continually come out with new part numbers AND software updates for the iPod systems in the cars... why? Because they are not always Apple compliant. If you will visit Mercedes Benz factory website, you will find many updates available for the cars. This is why we give several solutions to this problem. The Anystream is 100% compliant. e_coup, If you went and purchased a $800 iPad, it would not work in your car either without the updates or cables mentioned. So it is caveat emptor, but not for the reasons you mentioned. It is because your car needs the updates or proper cables to work. One must be willing to take the steps necessary to bring the car into compliance with Apples specifications if you wish to use an iPad, Anystream, or future iOS5 device (as the new Apple iPhone operating system coming out next month won't work in your car either).
Within the cable kit part number we give on our site listed above is a USB cable. When used with the USB cable and any iPod cable that contains the AAC (Apple Authentication Chip), it forces a non Apple compliant system to be compliant. It is a simple solution to a compatibility problem.
However, like we said before, other reviewers on this site have the same car, same year, same cable, and it works fine. It is because they have different software in the car, and it is compliant. It can be a complicated matter to understand, but there are easy solutions to the problem.
PLUS, the Anystream does come with a 100% money back guarantee should you decide to try it and not want to take the steps necessary should it not work. Even in Cyprus, the Anystream only weighs 1 ounce (28 grams), and can be put in a normal letter and mailed back for very little cost. You can recover your investment should you want to. For the record, only 3 Anystreams have ever been returned (with a little over 500 sold so far) - and 98% of those have been sold in the US where they can be returned for under 50 cents.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E coupe
I tried to edit the original post but cant so I have to quote instead.

NOTE: fwiw cartronics.com are "good people" - even after my negative review and after some back/forth with them - they are still responding to my questions. I believe their 100% money back guarantee. I understand that many people have had success with this product. I'm in the process of trying to source an apple usb cable 'with authentication chip' (the apple store won't deliver to my country and not sure that the ones on ebay/amazon have the 'apple authentication chip' built in which is what I need). If I get my hands on one and try it out I'll post back here.

Originally Posted by e_coup
my 2 cents on the cartronics anystream:

2012 e coupe so very new firmware. I used the ipod connector cable which i verified as being the one 'supported' by cartonics (Mercedes part number A 001 827 82 04) http://www.cartronics.com/POM.html

My phone, htc desire hd running android 2.3, connects fine to the anystream and the led on the anystream flashes once every 6 seconds suggesting the connection phone<--->anystream is fine.

However the media interface on the car is stuck at 'activating device' and nothing else happens.

For the record, I called anystream and they took my call and were very polite. However the suggested 'solution' is to go and buy a composite av cable with authentication chip from apple to connect the anystream via usb - this costs very close to the price i paid for the anystream. With this in mind I may have opted for a different solution (like the motorolla gateway). I am also in Cyprus so sending it back is not really an option/feasible/cost effective. Thus I'm left with a $80 square of plastic. I may eventually go buy the composite cable but at this point i'm weary of spending more money on something that may or may not work. Caveat emptor.