SL/R230: SL500 (2005) Blower not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430, SL500
SL500 (2005) Blower not working

Hi,

I have a MY2005 SL500 on which the blower fan has all of a sudden stopped working, it worked last time i used the car, and now wont come on at all since leaving the car idle (and letting the consumer battery go flat) for a couple of weeks.

I have recharged the battery and put it onto a ctek conditioner, and i have tried resetting the cars electronics (disconnecting the battery for a while).

Everything else seems fine, and i can hear the flaps moving when i select things on the heating controls, the temperature also works and comes out of the right vents when i get the car up to speed so air is naturally coming through.

Its a real problem though with the winter weather, as the car when idle has no air, so its real cold in the cabin, and the windows steam up super quick!

Any ideas on what i should look at would be appreciated, i am not sure which fuse relates to the fan? I had a look through all of them and none seem to be be blown, but i cant be sure....

Edit: Does anyone have any pointers on getting to the fan on these for me to actually check the item itself?

Thanks chaps

Last edited by Jezza; 12-20-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
The fan is under the dash on the passenger side, search the forum and you will find instructions on how to remove, it's pretty easy.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM

2004 SL600 Renntech
The battery in trunk must be fully charged before full operation of blower motor is allowed. Test with engine running and verify that the consumer shut off is not active. A shorted out sun sensor or pollution sensor can cause a malfunction on the communication circuit, thus preventing blower operation.

1. Test climate control system with scan tool. Check for related fault codes in climate control head.

2. Access
blower motor speed controller. Test for battery voltage at pin #3 (Red/Green wire). This is powered by fuse 5 in fuse box F32.

3. Test for battery voltage at pin #2 (Black/Blue wire). This is fused power supply to speed controller from fuse 47 in passenger front fuse box K40/4.

4. Verify good ground at pin #1 Brown wire.

5. Test climate control head voltage output to speed controller at pin #4 (Pink/Black wire) there should be voltage present. This is a communication wire for the
blower speed controller, sun sensor, and pollution sensor. Accurate testing is done with a scan tool.

6. Test operation of
blower motor by removing the two pin connector and jumping battery voltage and ground to run motor.

Last edited by HemiTom; 12-20-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM

S430, SL500
Thankyou to both of you for your replies. I went through your diagnostics, HemiTom, and figured that the blower fan itself was the issue.

I have just been back in, removed the motor, cleaned it out and greased the shafts in it (it seemed jammed and wasnt moving freely), re-installed, and it is now firing as it should do.

Thanks again for the replies, a fix for zero outlay which is not what i am used to with this car