SL/R230: Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, ML500 and E350
Fog Lamps

Gentlemen,

I have a habit of driving with all of my lights activated during the day. My cars are fast and I like to make them very visable to other drivers.

When I activate the fog lamps only the left rear upper lamp iluminates I constantly have other drivers let me know a lamp is out.

I had the same issue with my Carrera and I think that they (the other drivers) do get some joy out of telling me that there is a problem with my very expensive car, (regardless I do get noticed).

I have had the dealer look at this (Schumacher in Scottsdale) and they said that this was the normal operation but could not tell me the reason why and I admit that I have not read the manual that came with the car so I am sure that there are many other things that I do not know.

Being more than a bit **** this does drive me crazy and I am wondering what the reason is for this design.

Can anyone shine some light on this issue?

Thanks

AHANSEN
Old 01-14-2012, 12:47 PM

SL550
Fog Lamps

Please read your manual it has some very valuable information in it.

The reason for only the left rear lamp to be brighter than your other tail light is in foggy conditions as person following will know that there is a car moving ahead and not braking.
Hope that helps
Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM

SL55, ML500 and E350
Originally Posted by n338ns
Please read your manual it has some very valuable information in it.

The reason for only the left rear lamp to be brighter than your other tail light is in foggy conditions as person following will know that there is a car moving ahead and not braking.
Hope that helps
Makes sense and thank you!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You should never ever activate rear foglight except in low visibility conditions.

Just pull the switch out halfway if you insist on driving around with front foglights on in clear conditions.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM

sl600
Driving with front fog lights on in clear conditions can get you pulled over in some areas..

Originally Posted by lkchris
You should never ever activate rear foglight except in low visibility conditions.

Just pull the switch out halfway if you insist on driving around with front foglights on in clear conditions.