Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 W201 2.3, '10 X164 550
COMAND Replacement

Gents,

Thanks in advance for your opinions

I have a '06 SL500 with COMAND and Bose Amp/Speaker kit and I'm in the process of replacing my COMAND unit. Everybody knows that this model comes with fibre optics for communications and that's why I need to do the following:

1- Replace the COMAND with R230 double din offered in e-bay
2- Replace the Bose Amp with an adequate amp that can match the speaker impedances. The Bose Amp removal is required to use the sapce for the new amp
3- Perform a search to know how many speakers I have in this model
4- Use the existing Amp-Spekers wiring
5- Leave the CD changer and the GPS trunck drive intact

My question is, Am I going to affect the car operability with this change? and should I expect any error codes by removing the COMAND and the Bose Amp from the MOST bus?

Please accept my best regards
Attached Thumbnails COMAND Replacement-comand-replacement.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
there is a discussion started in the audio section. I have an answer for you

first don't buy that junk radio. it is worthless hodge podge of cheap electronics with some cheap GUI. Pick a name brand and go with it

with the part that I am discussing in that topic I will refer to your questions with it

1. Junk
2. Retain
3. retain
4. Retain
5. Retain
and just in case
6. Retain

Here is the link

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...ot-easier.html
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 AM

Thanks Jbondox

I have read your post earlier before you send it to me and I was extremely interested until the point when I read that "at this point, the card available to you for testing is for two chanels only - not a abig issue as it is being processed by a multi channel amp which is the stock BOSE - and it does not provide cluster info nor steering controls" but I'm definitely interested in getting one of those cards once you're done updating

The facia you installed is from a UK retailer that I've dealt with when i installed my Kenwood DNX6180 for my VOLVO XC90 and I'm extremely pleased with the finishing quality

What pushed me towards my decision to pick this no-name head unit is that it finishes nicely without an aditional facia and I guess; thanks to your advice; that i'm moving back to a regular DD from my favorite manufacturer as long as I'm not ripping out the BOSE stock amp

I'll see later in your original thread....
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by raed_jan
Thanks Jbondox

I have read your post earlier before you send it to me and I was extremely interested until the point when I read that "at this point, the card available to you for testing is for two chanels only - not a abig issue as it is being processed by a multi channel amp which is the stock BOSE - and it does not provide cluster info nor steering controls" but I'm definitely interested in getting one of those cards once you're done updating

The facia you installed is from a UK retailer that I've dealt with when i installed my Kenwood DNX6180 for my VOLVO XC90 and I'm extremely pleased with the finishing quality

What pushed me towards my decision to pick this no-name head unit is that it finishes nicely without an aditional facia and I guess; thanks to your advice; that i'm moving back to a regular DD from my favorite manufacturer as long as I'm not ripping out the BOSE stock amp

I'll see later in your original thread....
Actually, the pic you see of the no name unit has been photo shopped to look like it replaces the '05 & up models, these units actuatually replace the '03~'04 models so you would also have to get the old wood trim that surrounds the command. & like he said: JUNK!
Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SL4Life
Actually, the pic you see of the no name unit has been photo shopped to look like it replaces the '05 & up models, these units actuatually replace the '03~'04 models so you would also have to get the old wood trim that surrounds the command. & like he said: JUNK!
Damn it!!! I knew it

Thanks as point well taken and thankfully I swayed away from this purchase as I've had butterflies in my stomach whenever I see this unit in E-bay