SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 ABC Conversion to Coil-Overs With "Light Fix" Module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Thank you all for the information and the opinions. It is good to know all available options.

Just to follow up with the Strutmasters update. I called and was told by the lady on the phone that they currently no longer offer the kit. She think they may be trying to redesign the kit but she is not sure. If they are to offer it at all again, which she is not sure either, it will be at least 2 to 3 months out. She also said that Strutmasters was the only company that conversion kit.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Has anyone tried to retrofit the Mercedes oem sl65 black series coilovers ? Wouldn't they work and be even better than the strut masters conversion ?

Anyone know how much they cost and the part numbers ? Perhaps they cost too much from mb
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by tusabes
Has anyone tried to retrofit the Mercedes oem sl65 black series coilovers ? Wouldn't they work and be even better than the strut masters conversion ?
Have you asked yourself why Strutmasters is no longer offering the R230 setup or why, if it is offered again, it will be in a re-designed form?

Originally Posted by tusabes
Anyone know how much they cost and the part numbers ?
Each strut costs about the same as a basic ABC strut.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Hung Hua
Thank you all for the information and the opinions. It is good to know all available options.

Just to follow up with the Strutmasters update. I called and was told by the lady on the phone that they currently no longer offer the kit. She think they may be trying to redesign the kit but she is not sure. If they are to offer it at all again, which she is not sure either, it will be at least 2 to 3 months out. She also said that Strutmasters was the only company that conversion kit.
Went with a re-manufacture Arnotts right rear shock from Parts Geek, and had a local Indy installed it. I did the fluid and filter change myself before install the new shock by following the a post in the forum, it was easier than I thought. The car suspension is good again, for now. Thank you all.

By the way I also discovered the windshield washer reservoir was leaking with a small crack, when I tried to fill it up with the fluid. With some work, I was able to slide it out (with the hoses still connected) after the front passenger wheel cover was removed, and glued/repaired the crack.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 AM

SL500
Mercedes SL 500 2003

Hi Good Morning i have mercedes SL 500 , i have a problem with the car. in front of the dugboard shes writing abc i already make her a test and the result was that the front left senior is not working. they tell me to to change the part all of it . the problem is that the car is not go up and down. can u tell me where i can find the park please because here in malta cant find thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

Now, what error codes do you have?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benz sl500
I got r230 conversion struts from CEIKA

I got the conversion struts from CEIKA, You can adjust the height, no swaybars needed. Drove 140 mph speed, no problems.

Last edited by Mario Livaja; 02-05-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Adding photos
The following users liked this post:
paste (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sl500 r230 2003
ABC TANDEM OUMP

Originally Posted by tete00001
A mechanic friend of mine helped me install the strutmasters coil-over conversion kit on my 2003 sl500 (I mostly just assisted). It took us about a day. It works great! I truly feel like I have a new vehicle again and I don't worry about paying $3800 (per repair!) on a regular basis for an abc system that should be much more reliable than it is for the cost. My vehicle stays just as level on turns as it did with the abc system. There were a few "creaking" sounds from the coils at first, but there are less and less each day as they settle more. So far there are only a few drawbacks. 1) The install takes longer and is not as easy as the strutmasters videos make them out to be. 2) My car sits slightly higher than I'm used to seeing it (worth it b.t.w.). And 3) I have yet to figure out how to wire that light fix module correctly, as the wires in the manual do not match up with those under my dash. I don't have an endless amount of funds, so, all in all, I am satisfied with the conversion since it makes for 1 less bill on a vehicle that is a joy to own, but is very expensive to maintain. Still searching for the proper wiring for that light fix though. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
im looking to do the same my main question is about the existing pump.. do you leave it as is and just cap the old lines at the struts and do you pull the fuse for the abc pump so it just runs low pressure???btw there are several u tubes on the light fix module which explain install...
Old 05-05-2020, 10:27 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
2005 SL600
Originally Posted by R jarmoszko
im looking to do the same my main question is about the existing pump.. do you leave it as is and just cap the old lines at the struts and do you pull the fuse for the abc pump so it just runs low pressure???btw there are several u tubes on the light fix module which explain install...
There's 2 different solutions.

You can loop back the ABC pump output hose so that it feeds right back into the reservoir, or you can replace the tandem ABC/power steering pump with a power steering only pump.

You cannot just cap the lines.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:24 AM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by R jarmoszko
I created this solution back in 2017
here is how to on a CL W215 Just follow the Idea no fuses nothing just loop
you can remove everything if you want, even the abc cooling radiator. good part with that is that if you have a V12 you can easy switch to the full size intercooler radiator

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ping-pump.html

Last edited by pmercury; 05-06-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:20 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
Any electronic geniuses in the forum??

Gents, I am pretty sure that in this forum there are individuals capable of figuring out what value of resistors are necessary to 'simulate" typical ABC inputs. That is basically what Strutmasters did, they measured the Ohms values on the Strut itself and placed a bridge on the connector..! Then build a box for sale! I have done the same with some old electronic sensors, but have no good info on these hydraulic struts! If anyone have done experimentation on this, please let me know! The shocks and suspension arm sensors are just plain rheostats!

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
llcoolbenz (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:00 AM
SPONSOR

Received 777 Likes on 603 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by elMacko
Gents, I am pretty sure that in this forum there are individuals capable of figuring out what value of resistors are necessary to 'simulate" typical ABC inputs. That is basically what Strutmasters did, they measured the Ohms values on the Strut itself and placed a bridge on the connector..! Then build a box for sale! I have done the same with some old electronic sensors, but have no good info on these hydraulic struts! If anyone have done experimentation on this, please let me know! The shocks and suspension arm sensors are just plain rheostats!

Thanks!
thats correct
Old 01-06-2022, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 202 Posts
95 SL600
Originally Posted by elMacko

Thanks!
Looks like they tied it in at the abc module, not the individual strut sensors themselves.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:32 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
SL 500 2004, Ford F-150-2014
CDK, if the tree pin cables are traced to the module, it will be a lot easier to put a standard rheostat and adjust to the required values. I wonder where can a "electrical diagram" of the system could be located to determine the polarity! So, identifying the points 1,2 and 3 in the struts and the values, this will be a piece of cake at a cost under $5.00.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:31 PM

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Seems like lots of work when BenzNinga can do it over the internet.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:38 AM

Received 259 Likes on 199 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
I haven't seen or used a 'light fix' module, but my guess is that it is a CAN filter programmed to filter out ABC error CAN messages. Resistors might work for some sensors, but the ABC module looks at current draws at all solenoids, it reports errors if levels don't change as commanded, etc. If you don't have DAS, buy the box and don't worry about it. If you have DAS or easy access to DAS, code out ABC.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:32 PM

SL500
Inquiry

Originally Posted by tete00001
A mechanic friend of mine helped me install the strutmasters coil-over conversion kit on my 2003 sl500 (I mostly just assisted). It took us about a day. It works great! I truly feel like I have a new vehicle again and I don't worry about paying $3800 (per repair!) on a regular basis for an abc system that should be much more reliable than it is for the cost. My vehicle stays just as level on turns as it did with the abc system. There were a few "creaking" sounds from the coils at first, but there are less and less each day as they settle more. So far there are only a few drawbacks. 1) The install takes longer and is not as easy as the strutmasters videos make them out to be. 2) My car sits slightly higher than I'm used to seeing it (worth it b.t.w.). And 3) I have yet to figure out how to wire that light fix module correctly, as the wires in the manual do not match up with those under my dash. I don't have an endless amount of funds, so, all in all, I am satisfied with the conversion since it makes for 1 less bill on a vehicle that is a joy to own, but is very expensive to maintain. Still searching for the proper wiring for that light fix though. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.
Happy to hear that it worked for you. Can I ask you wither that conversion of struts affected the hard top (does the car convert smoothly) as I heard the hydronic system of ABC is connected to the hard top as well.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:26 PM

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by Hattan
Happy to hear that it worked for you. Can I ask you wither that conversion of struts affected the hard top (does the car convert smoothly) as I heard the hydronic system of ABC is connected to the hard top as well.
ABC has nothing to do with the Hard Top Operation. 2 separate hydraulic systems the former works off the power steering pump the latter has its own hydraulic pump in the trunk.