SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Bummer - I got the Dreaded "Stuck in Park" issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Cadillac CTS-V, 04 MB SL600, 99 Mustang GT Anniversary Edition
Bummer - I got the Dreaded "Stuck in Park" issue

I don't know exactly when I noticed it happening, but Friday after I left the car with the car wash lot guy, I got in the car to leave, and noticed the shifter difficult to move from park to drive. So - couple days later and I'm leaving for work and it does it again. Both times I was able to get into drive. On Tuesday, I tried to leave in the morning to take kid to school, and it stuck permanently. I researched everything I could find about how to get it out of park, and then how to do the 'fix it' repair DIY. Decided to take a shot at getting it out of park using the mallet method - if you don't get it out of park, then it's very difficult (have to cut facia) to get to the shifter to remove it. Didn't work, so I bailed.

Called dealer - they wanted $740 for the shifter and 5 hours of labor, comes to yeah about $1400. Just about what everyone else has said. But you get a new shifter complete.

Called a few mobile mechanics to see if I could get lucky to find one that's done the removal repair, no luck.

So I called my StateFarm Roadside Assistance, and had the car towed to my favorite independent MB repair shop. Joe, the owner there at German Auto Works, told me he would not only fix it right, but he would use the better "METAL" part and not replace with the improved plastic kit.

He is charging $600 total - for the part and labor. Considering what my research shows across the country, that's a pretty fair deal considering the metal part seems to go for about 200-250 and labor on it will be about 4-5 hours.

I am supposed to pick the car up this afternoon. I asked him to take pix of the metal replacement part so I can assure any subsequent owner of my car (If I ever sell) that this very common problem would not invade their world like it did mine.

MB - I'm ashamed at your oversight of such a shoddy part in a significantly tender area that if broken disables the car. You should cover replacement of this item under a recall, and not put your loyal owners out such an expensive replacement for such poor oversight on your part.

I'll update when I get my car back tonight.

SLMOJO
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Cadillac CTS-V, 04 MB SL600, 99 Mustang GT Anniversary Edition
I just picked up the SL from German Auto Works. Joe and crew did a fab job!! Tony was the tech on the job. They got the job done same day when they said they would, cleaned up the car nice prior to my picking her up. Gave me the broken part, sure enough cheap *** part!

Love my SL - even tho she costs me significant $ for stupid things like this .10c plastic POS part.

I'll post a pic of the broken piece, suffice to say its great to know this can't happen again. Billet metal replacement.

SLMOJO