SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Stuck in Park (Did thorough search!) - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
I am about to embark on replacing that little plastic bugger. There are some good notes on this forum regarding the pain involved. So far I have destroyed the shifter knob. If that is the only thing I break good news. I fly airplanes don't fix them...good news for the flying public. There are also a couple of YouTube videos that describe the center console removal. They are very well done.

The "stuck in park" was a rapid onset for me. It would stick in park periodically. After a few tries it would pop out...much like the stories in this forum. Then a week or so ago it stuck and I couldn't get it out. Fortunately, it was stuck in my garage. I initially thought the shifter problem was a result of the ABC system sensing problems and in turn locking the transmission. I asked for a little help on the forum and someone piped in "it's two problems you big dummy". I certainly wish I would have spent some time with this group prior to buying my 2003 SL. I have Porsche. This car looked great and in very good shape. Two months after buying, I get rapped in the knuckles with this parking disorder and ABC problems...two of the most heinous problems associated with this particular model. I guess the top will fail next...I live in Colorado so no need to drop the top for a while. I did take the car to a Euro mechanic and he said a meager $12000 will fix the ABC and shifter. So the wind is in my face so to speak. I only paid 12 large for the car.

I did try the push the brake, listen for the solenoid to click before trying to move out of park technique that Fred from the NL recommended. That didn't help. I also juggled the shifter quite a bit. That also didn't do anything. So as a last resort I took a rubber mallet to the shifter. I smacked it a couple of times on the top and it came out of park. That is also a recommended technique on the forum. I'm not sure if that was the final solution or just a little luck. The reason I say that is there is also a great video on YouTube narrated by an eastern European mechanic. He describes the plastic lever saga in great detail including some very good pics. The plastic lever cracks which prevents the lever from completely moving another squat switch. So I don't really see how pounding on the shifter with a mallet will aid the shifter in doing it's job. What the hell, it worked. So in review, if you are stuck in park, I would...1. Push brake, listen for solenoid to click before moving out of park. 2. Juggle the shifter or combination of 1 and 2. 3. Try the rubber mallet as a last resort while saying bad words. Other guys have suggested an actual hammer. I think you'll do more harm than good with a steel hammer.

Well that's my two cents so far. I'll keep you updated on the progress with lessons learned. That's assuming I make it back from Cancun alive. Seems like the bad guys are moving in on the resorts down there now.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 X166 GLS550 & (R230) SL550 2007 & 2012 S550
I read all the posts from beginning and am looking for a summary.
Is the objective to remove the plastic part and then reassemble
WITHOUT the plastic part that cracks?
I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE SAFETY INTERLOCK.
Just want to be able to get out of park anytime the lever is moved.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Have all the owners with the "Stuck in Park" ever made a complaint on or Reported this problem on NHSTA website? The link for "REPORT A PROBLEM" is on the main page towards the right. This could be inferred as a Safety Issue since stuck in Park could lead to unpredictable consequences.

I just had this problem for the 2nd time in 4 years with my 2006 S500 - dealer wants $1700+tax to fix. This does not include the ~ $200 for them to diagnose the problem - even though I said it is stuck in park!! The diagnosis was "SHIFT ASSEMBLY MECHANICALLY BINDING" which likely means the broken plastic piece prevents shifting

I called MB customer care and was basically laughed at when I mentioned the frequency of this problem and implied this could be a recall. The MB rep was of opinion that customers have no right or option to initiate a recall (he may be correct) but I feel if enough complaints on the nhsta website may lead to a recall and major $$ cost for MB.