SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Strutt, Block or Pump - Yes, another ABC Thread !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Strutt, Block or Pump - Yes, another ABC Thread !

I have spent a great deal of time reviewing everything ABC on this and other forums, and yes, I know I will have to get it scanned to determine the fault codes. The amount of info is overwhelming and I'm now more confused than ever. All I'm after at this point is some insight from those who have been through this so I can have a decent conversation that isn't one sided with my indy.. and who knows, depending on the issue I may be able to follow one of the DYI's out there

So, here is the detail I know

1) Since I bought the car (October 2011) every once in a while, when opening a door after the car had been parked a while, a motorized sound came from the front end - no noticeable change of height

2) Every once in a while, sitting in the car parked with the engine running a noticeable drop to the front end happened, and it would raise back up when put back in drive (seemed like the front passenger side - but can't be sure)

3) During my spring oil change, my indy noticed a bit of 'weeping' at the lower end of the suspension at the front passenger side - said not to worry didn't look major

4)Never had any ABC warnings until last Saturday when pulling out of the garage the RED 'ABC Drive Carefully' showed up - left the car parked

5) Sunday started it up - no warnings - cycled through raising and lowering the car about 10 times, found no issues. Checked ABC fluid and it was a tad low

6) Monday, drove the car to work, no issues all 85KM. Started it up to leave work, instantly the RED 'ABC Drive Carefully' appeared, and I was driving, as others have stated, a tuna boat. Bought some fluid and topped up the ABC

7)Tuesday, drove the car to and from work - approx 170Km round trip and 5 minutes before getting home the WHITE "ABC Visit Workshop' came on, no RED warning

8) Thursday, drove the car to and from work again, this time no warnings at all, until I stopped into a store to run an errand. When I came out and started the car, instantly the RED message again. When I got home, parked the car and looked, the front passenger corner was raised while all the other corners lowered and normal. Couldn't cycle through the ride height as I guess when the RED warning is on, those functions are disabled

9) I have no noticeable leaks of fluid on my garage floor, and looking around best I can with a flashlight in the engine area and wheel wells, I see no leaks.

I'm not thinking pump, as when the RED warning is NOT illuminated, raising and lowering the car seems to be normal, which leaves block or strut, and I'm assuming it's the front passenger side causing the problem due to the 'weeping' found by my indy, and the fact that it now appears to be at max ride height when the rest of the car is lowered.

So, there you have it..... any of you out there care to suggest given your experience what the problem is ? Again, I'd just like to go to my indy prepared, so am looking for whatever feedback and info you all have.

Thanks in advance

-Stephen
Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM

2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
Can't speak to the ABC issues, but item #1 is most likely the SBC pump kicking in - completely normal and has nothing to do with the suspension.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLC 300
#3 points to a bad strut, they should be dry.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl600
I just bought a 04 sl600 few weeks ago 70k on it, the other day I came out of the store and noticed a huge puddle of clear oil.
The red drive carefully light came on, I nursed it home,,( 20 miles) called my place where I bought it, he told me to flat bed it to the shop,, might be a blowen hose, and not to chance ruinning the pump.
Ill find out more on Wednesday .
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM

2004 SL600
You may have already ruined it. I would not advise even starting the vehicle if you are leaking ABC fluid. From what I have read, the pump can grenade itself within seconds of running dry. I'm crossing my fingers for you, let us know.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 AM

2004 SL500
Thanks All !

Good thoughts on the sensor, and the flush. I really appreciate the reply. My indy is asking $110 +tax to perform the scan, so I'm in to see him later this week.

At least my expectations are set... :-)

Thanks again
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM

2004 SL500
Just an update for those following...or lurking...

Since last week, I haven't driven the car, but I was able to cycle through the ride heights and left the car in the fully raised position. It's been 6 days now and all 4 corners are still fully raised, so it appears to be holding pressure.

Anyway, I haven't had the car scanned yet due to my current workload, however, have an appointment for next week where hopefully I'll know more.

-Stephen
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM

2004 SL500
UPDATE

Well, I just got back from my Indy and he believes it's the pump. :-(

When I left home today, I had no warnings, half way to Indy I get the white 'visit workshop' and as I pulled into the shop, it went red 'drive carefully'.

On first scan, the pressure was showing as 0 bar. After stopping and starting the car, the pressure slowly built up to @185 bar and fluctuated +/- 10 bar. They did the rodeo test and pressure was @ 100bar +/- 20 bar or so.

Based on this, he is 99% sure it's the pump. The guy in the shop who is the ABC expert was off today, so the shop owner couldn't bounce it off of him to get his ideas, however, he will when the fellow returns.

So, looks like I'm after an ABC pump. Indy stated he could get a new one for @ $1600, it would take @ 5 hours labour @ 90, and he also stated we should flush/refill the ABC fluid (as will loose some during the pump removal/install) and change the filter - basically another hours labour.

He should be sending me an estimate today, and I've asked him to look into a rebuilt pump, so I will see where it goes.

-Stephen
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM

2003 SL500 Designo
Hey Stephen, I had very similar experiences and even after an ABC pump replacement, I had the same issues pop up again. I'd recommend having your Indy check your ABC accumulators. That seemed to fix my "saggy" issues and ABC warning messages.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 PM

'03 SL500
ABC Accumulators

I agree. The accumulators could be the problem. Thanks to the help of this board I was able to diagnose my ABC problem using the bounce test. I replaced the front accumulator and have seen improvement in the handling but I still need to replace the rear. I have taken off the left rear wheel and inner shroud and can see the accumulator mounted above the valve block on a panel. How does the panel slide out with the hoses in place? Any step-by-step would be helpful.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM

2004 SL500
Thanks !

I spoke with my Indy, and he is still 99% sure it's the pump. He said given the pressure issues, it's the pump, and not the accumulators.

So, I guess I'm out $ 2500.00 (when I can get it in to be done) and hope it's not something else !

Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 PM

2003 SL500 Designo
Originally Posted by Bclancy888
I agree. The accumulators could be the problem. Thanks to the help of this board I was able to diagnose my ABC problem using the bounce test. I replaced the front accumulator and have seen improvement in the handling but I still need to replace the rear. I have taken off the left rear wheel and inner shroud and can see the accumulator mounted above the valve block on a panel. How does the panel slide out with the hoses in place? Any step-by-step would be helpful.
I actually had a new Indy replace both for around $450 including labor. Next visit I will try to get more info for you.