SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Keyless Entry Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Entry Question

Here is what I think I know about keyless entry, please let me know if I'm entirely correct...

You have a credit card sized key which you can keep in your wallet and when you approach the car the doors will automatically unlock and ignition only entails pushing a (nicely integrated) button on the top of the shifter. I 'm assuming that the key card never really needs to be taken out of your wallet, somehow it transmits a signal allowing for ignition when detected within a certain radius of a sensor.

Is a standard key also available, or is the key card the complete and only solution?

Thanks for help on this!
Old 03-09-2002, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W126 1991 350SDL
correct - it stays in pocket/wallet/purse/etc..

regular key still works fine.

doody
Old 03-14-2002, 10:27 PM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
The Keyless go is great, credit card in pocket touch any part of the door handle it unlocks and shuts off alarm, sit in driver seat put foot on brake push button on top of gear shifter engine comes to life and set all memory functions to your card including rearview mirror and air bolsters in seats. push button in park and car shuts off open door and power is cut. push button on door handle to lock, if card in car it will not lock if card is in trunk it will not shut, it card is outside of car and someone pushes brake and button it will not start. touch trunk button trunk only unlocks.

Very well thought out, but I still reach for the dash to shut off just habit, also weird being able to jump in and go anytime my wallet is on me. I think it is worth the money!
Old 03-15-2002, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W126 1991 350SDL
does anybody know the tech behind this?

why do you have to touch the door handle? is it conducting a signal through your body (highly unlikely)? i presume it's RF of some sort. could be magnetic, but you'd risk frying your ccards and palm pilot and all that.

assuming it's RF; i presume that the card has to be in range and there has to be some contact on the door handle. ie: YOU don't have to touch the handle - your dog could or your wife could.

i carry my wallet in my jacket, not in my pants - will this affect it?

cany anybody explain?

thanks,
doody.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:17 AM

ML 500 Sport
Stuttgart, Jul 31, 2001
The KEYLESS-GO system provides an even higher level of convenience and is available as an option to complement the ELCODE system in the SL-Class sports car. In this system, a chip card – which is just 4.5 millimetres thick and looks like a regular credit card – takes over the functions of the electronic key. However, the driver does not need key or card in hand in order to get into the car. Providing he or she has the chip card in a shirt or jacket pocket, simply touching one of the door handles or the boot lid handle is enough. In this case, the chip card receives signals from induction-type aerials located in the doors, in the centre console, in the boot and in the rear bumper. Via a radio signal, the card then returns an identification code which is checked by an ECU on board the SL-Class. If this code matches a stored code, the car owner can get straight in or open the boot lid. The inductive transfer of data between the chip card and the vehicle takes just a fraction of a second. In addition, KEYLESS-GO can perform the same programmable extra functions as ELCODE. One exception is the vario-roof which cannot be remotely opened using this system.
KEYLESS-GO also makes starting the engine easier and more convenient. To this end, the new SL-Class Roadster is equipped with a button on the automatic selector lever: if the driver is sitting in the vehicle whilst in possession of the chip card, pressing the start button triggers another card identification process. If the reply is an affirmative signal, the immobiliser is deactivated and the engine starts automatically, assuming that the driver's foot is on the brake pedal. Conversely, pressing the button when the automatic selector lever is in the "P" or "N" position switches the engine back off.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:44 AM
Mac

Z06 Vette
Response time

I'm wondering how long it takes to make all those adjustments (mirrors, seat, steering wheel, headrest, etc.). In my LS430, I open the door, press the right memory button on the door and things start moving (I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'2"), so that, by the time I get my 60 yr. old frame down into the seats, I can get my legs under the steering column. It's just that, by the time I get the seat belt on, put the key into the ignition, start the motor, and put the shift lever into reverse, :o things haven't reached their rest position and consequently stop moving prematurely I guess it's a safety kind of thingy. So then I have to finish moving things manually while I'm trying to back out of the gararge, keeping my eye out for things in the drive way, etc. Are the positioning motors in the MB fast enough to keep this from happening?
Old 03-15-2002, 10:30 AM

500 SEC
Here is a thought, go to;
http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/...ssgokarte.html

This is the On-Line manual for the SL, the following is a warning from that page;

"The car may accidentally unlock if the KEYLESS GO card is within one metre of the car and
* a gush of water splashes against the door handle,
* or you clean the door handle."

In southern California there is a place called Disney Land, they were loosing several cars a day from the parking lot. The California Sate Police told a team of business owners what to look for in these car thefts. Kids on skateboards with a pen knife and a tennis ball.

Several years ago when the first key code locks came out it was discovered that with a tennis ball and a small slit in it you could put the ball up to the key hole and hit it. Forcing a blast of air into the system. (the locking mechnism was air driven)

In short there may be a flaw in the security of this new endevor. I am not sure only looking for answers as you are. For the extra money it would be nice to get security as well as convience of not haveing to fumble for keys... I guess any one with a bucket of water could potentialy get into your new SL. Then again they will not drive off in it but your CD collection may not be safe!