SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Yet another ABC problem..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 R230
Yet another ABC problem..

Hi, about 10 months ago I got some ABC warnings that I ignored for a couple of months. Then one day I got the red error that basically disabled ABC and making the car feel more like a boat in rough weather.

I went to my local garage, where they told me that my front-right strut needed replacement. I order a pair from Arno (I figured it would be cheaped if I was proactive) and replaced both. For about 6 months everything was good (except of my rear battery complaining that "convinience functions unavailable" after a day or 2).

Suddently, I got the ABC warning again. My (new) mechanic told me that STAR has 2 errors again for the front-right strut and it's sensor. I asked my mechanic to change the sensor and take it from there as it is cheaper and I do not think that it is possible that the same strut went bad again. After changing the sensor, no error, until I press the button for ABC to raise. Although the car goes up normally, the warning appears again and I cannot make it go down unless I switch off a few times.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the installation of the strut?
Does is sound like a bad strut or pump or it is more likelly that the sensor/installation is not reporting the correct high or pressure?

Any advice on how to procceed? (The suspension struts are under guarantee from Arno but I still have to pay the mechanic and the shipping cost)
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Probably a bad sensor.. Arnott will overnight you a new one via warranty.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 PM

SL500 R230
Thanks, I didn't know, but I got a new sensor from MB and still get the error, although now I get it only when I ligt/lower the suspension (before I got it all the time). Is it possible that they haven't done a proper installation?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:00 AM

SL500
I don't know if this helps, but I had so many issues with the ABC period. Multiple dash warnings, etc.

I ended up getting the ABC Pump itself replaced, the warning lights reset and have never had any dash error readings ever since. So, you may want to look into getting the actual pump replaced.

Try to have your mechanic (or yourself) find a rebuilt one. You can probably find one for around $500.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:06 PM

SL500 R230
Did you get the STAR error for the front-right strut? It seems, that a lot of cars had a problem with the front-right strut.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM

SL500
I had it serviced by a local mechanic, but they did hook it up to the computer and it spit out a bunch of ABC related codes. Funny thing is, after going through the codes and building an estimate of parts based on the codes...it came to roughly $15,000 in repairs. However, he said that it's possible by simply replacing the ABC pump that it could fix the all the codes. I took the chance on that route because it was the cheapest and it did work.

I can't say that your experience will be the same as mine, but all I can say is that I was dealing with ABC issues for a couple years and I drove the car like that even though the Mercedes Dealer told me it would all of a sudden just die on me one day and probably right in the middle of the road in rush hour traffic.

It never did that even when I had issues I figured out ways around it. If the system wouldn't raise, I would turn the car off, unplug the battery to trick the system and then it would raise again. I could talk all day about this, but anyway that's what worked for me.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM

SL500 R230
ABC issue history and STAR error codes

I finally got the car back with my mechanic and got some readings. I ll just layout the facts below so it is easy to follow:

1. Replaced my front right strut after an ABC warning appeared followed by an ABC fault
2. My rear battery appeared to be dying and I got "convenience functions unavailable" warning
3. I changed my battery and I was still getting the same error (but not as frequently)
4. The ABC warning came back for the same suspension strut after a few months
5. I changed the sensor, but no change
6. I noticed that the car was not properly aligned, i.e. right side was higher

Is there anything that I should try before changing the strut again?
Can it be a sensor connection problem?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Yet another ABC problem..-suspension-faults.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
I had the front right strut on my 2007 SL600 replaced by Mercedes, Fort Myers, FL last spring after developing a leak and hearing strange noises from the engine compartment. They used a rebuilt strut and refilled the oil...the low oil was causing noise from the pump. The job took 4 hours and the total cost was $2200 including tax. The car has been running great ever since. The ABC is a very complex system, so I used the MB service department. Unfortunately/fortunately, they have a lot of experience with ABC problems and repairs.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:22 AM

SL500 R230
Thanks. Unfortunately the MB service close to me is really bad so I am reluctant to take it there.