SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2003 SL500 dropping to the floor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Dropping to the floor.

My car has about 84K miles. I purchased it about a month ago.

The first week I would notice that it was uneven every morning, so I would always raise it up then raise it back down to drive. Then I started to get the "ABC visit workshop" warning. 2 weeks after that, every morning the entire rear of my car sits to the floor. I start the car, get the "Warning, car too low to drive blah blah" then I raise it, and the warning goes away. This now happens every time I start the car in the morning--when it is left over-night.

My question is, since the entire rear is sitting the floor when parked over-night as opposed to just one side, does this mean i'm expecting both my rear struts to be messed up? Or could it be possible that I may only need to replace one strut?

The thought of having to replace both rear struts is going to put a dent in my wallet.. but replacing one might not be a big deal.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by dsly408; 01-16-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Valve block? Would seem to me that if both sides go down the same, it's something in the system other than the struts.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
dsly408

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of Mercedes Benz. I, like you, have a lust for the R230 but I have not pulled the trigger yet and made the purchase as I am still gaining knowledge of the model and all of its pitfalls and nuances. So far, I like what I have found and for a DIYer such as myself, I think that I can manage the certain repairs that I will face over time. I am armed with a copy of the WIS, (workshop information system) and eventually will add a Star Diagnostic System (DAS). I should be able to handle everything mechanical as well as electronic within my skill level, (I really do have more time than money).

Briefly, having owned an '01 S430 for almost 2 years now and being able to handle all the mechanical work DIY with only minimum outsourcing of repairs, (I do have access to an old school German Indy mechanic with a shop) I have kept my car in great shape with the only expenses being for parts and thus been able to keep the cost of ownership reasonable. However, parts are expensive for proper OEM so my wallet has gotten thinner.

My recommendation for you is become as familiar with all the R230 systems as you can. Peruse this forum, Benzworld and any other groups especially UK groups for real stories of owners solving their problems. ABC is not unique to only this model. Mercedes uses it in their AMG's as well as some other models. You can gain knowledge outside of the R230 groups too from these other models. The systems are similar even if the various component part numbers do not match. Many have written about rebuilding valves by just simply installing new o-rings. The Tandem pump is also rebuildable with an o-ring kit if you are able to disassemble the unit.
My next suggestion is to join the EPC online which is free here………….. http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp

I’ve attached a PDF to help you;

I am also attaching a couple of files for you to look at regarding system parts,(obtained from the EPC Catalog) and dealer book time (obtained from the WIS) to replace some of them.

As to your particular problem of rear suspension drooping, my reading research suggests that the first thing you want to do is flush the entire ABC system with new Pentosin 11S to purge the valves of contamination and to change to the finer 3 Micron filter. There are write-ups on doing this on your own without a Star (DAS) system which the dealer would have. Doing the fluid change may correct the problem or not. The dealer will suggest this procedure first then go from there with more in depth analysis.

Good luck and post back with your progress.
Bob

(Guess this is not a good time to tell you about the SBC system.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EPC Subscription Steps.pdf (219.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: pdf
ABC Valves.pdf (151.3 KB, 540 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 AM

SL500
Originally Posted by SteveL1
Valve block? Would seem to me that if both sides go down the same, it's something in the system other than the struts.
If it is say a valve block, how much in repairs am i looking at? a lot cheaper than replacing both struts?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 AM

SL500
@mercy-me thanks.. i'm overwhelmed by the information you just gave me lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 PM

SL500
I found out it IS indeed the rear valve block, I called a local shop and they quoted me around 2K. Is there a cheaper alternative? Just how Arnott has aftermarket ABC shocks, is there an alternative for the valve block?

Also, my car raises right back up if I press the button, if I continue driving like that will it be okay?

I was thinking of ordering these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-Mercedes-...-/271307417816

But he keeps talking about fitment. Would it fit mine since mine is 03 as well?

Also, isn't there other parts I need to replace as well? Or does this come with everything needed to fix the valve block problem

Last edited by dsly408; 01-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM

SL500
Oh yea, is it just one valve block for the entire rear?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 PM

2012 CLS63 AMG pp, 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
If you post your VIN, someone can likely tell you if that eBay part will fit.