SL saves the day

if you guys haven't been over to the safety/testimonial forum, here's a link:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=53242

amazing SL

-G-
Old 11-24-2003, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
A few years ago I had my old R129 SL floored going up an on ramp to Route 128 at 5 AM in the dark on an icy winter morning: a bogus maneuver if there ever was one. I hit some ice as the ramp was about to merge with the road, did a high speed 720, hit the concrete median divider, set off the air bags and ended up in the left lane facing the wrong way. While the car was barely reparable, I was completely uninjured without even an ache or bruise. Surprisingly, I didn’t even have any burns or bruising on my hands from the airbag. I was also pleased to discover that Mercedes doesn’t use talcum powder to lubricate the airbag when it deploys the way some US manufacturers do. As a result my clothes weren’t even mussed and I was able to get my other car and head to the office after the flatbed dropped me off at home.

A couple years before that I was driving home in the same car feeling a little out of it because a couple days before I had been released from the hospital after major surgery. I was driving a little too fast and overcooked the exit from a rotary (traffic circle for those not from New England) spun and crashed backwards into a guard rail. Here again, I was completely unscathed, which was surprising since I had a partially-healed surgical incision from my ear to my collarbone. The headrest protected me from whiplash completely.

The strength and safety of these cars is why I keep coming back to SLs despite the poorer reliability of recent Mercedes models.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I tell my family, if we get in a accident your gonna get whiplash now put your damn headrest up, one doesnt the other does, guess what happens, the one without it up gets whiplash.