SL/R230: Heads Up - SL Comparison on Top Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Heads Up - SL Comparison on Top Gear

For those in the UK, Clarkson is comparing the current SL with the old R107 from 1972 on Sunday's program (21 December) - check your programme listing, I think it's on at an odd time.

Given that he's just stood up at an industry bash and said that Mercedes are "total crap" or words to that effect, my money's on him the 1972 SL as the better car. Not that I care. I've had one, it's not.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Clarkson these days is not driven by emotion or reality, he's driven by adulation and his indeterminably pathetic attempt to appear both right and manly...

Can't believe I used to want him as PM.

He'll no doubt slate his SL55, despite Autocar this week calling the SL500 an all-time 9 out of 10 car (along with the E-type) and then he'll big up his next free car, the very "masculine" Ford GT40.

He's lost it.....

BUT, I do have to say that IMHonestO BMW makes a better car, dynamically at least, these days.

Last edited by Mustard; 12-20-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:50 PM

Re: Heads Up - SL Comparison on Top Gear

Originally posted by blueSL
For those in the UK, Clarkson is comparing the current SL with the old R107 from 1972 on Sunday's program (21 December) - check your programme listing, I think it's on at an odd time.

Given that he's just stood up at an industry bash and said that Mercedes are "total crap" or words to that effect, my money's on him the 1972 SL as the better car. Not that I care. I've had one, it's not.
Didnt see the programme but I should think an interesting comparison. Thirty years ago the 107 SL was a fine car - built like a tank and more reliable then than the R230 is now. Not a drivers car at all though, unlike its predecessor the "Pagoda" model.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:14 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
If you want a driver's car buy a Porsche or a BMW.

If you want a fast excessive supercar buy an SLR or a Carrera GT or a Zonda.

If you want a show-off car buy a Ferrari or a Bentley.

If you want a reliable well made car then buy a Lexus.

If you want a car for the real world, buy a Mercedes-Benz.

Clarkson an Top Gear as a whole is gettind quite crap to the point that halfway through the programme, I'm tempted to turn to BBC1, yes Sunday night, me at home...BBC1. What the hell is that Richard Hammond being an *** for? Gets to drive the fastest Merc of all time, comes away saying I want a Maybach interior and an S-class ride, coupled with Enzo looks (I know he's still young, but that takes the ****). And then Clarkson had the nerve to say the CGT is a better car? Oh yes, the PORSCHE with its 19in wheels, and no suspension travel, has a smoother ride, all the while its very comfortable what with its 3 buttons, a 996 steering and dials, (ok SLR has also SL55 dials) with its shoulder mounted gearstick, and floor mounted pedals...yep thats a usable car.

5th Gear is good since Tiff knows how to drive a car, he's always bashing Mercedes thats why I hate the guy, but he can drive. The show is good, but thr fact that its over in 5 minutes, proves that channel 5's budget cannot extend beyond £5 per show.

Its all fun and ***** nilly left-foot braking a 360M around Donington Park, or setting a Nurburgring lap time in a Zonda, but the real deal, in the real world, is driving a CL65, one-handed, at 120mph, whilst using linguatronic to call the office, and having your butt massaged and cooled while the AC is on.

A bit cynical and extreme but its the truth!

And Clarkson again, parks an SL55 next to an R107 for 2 seconds, and thats the end of the comaprison, what the ****
Old 12-21-2003, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Turned out it was looking at the Pagoda (nice car, inspite of the asthmatic engine and slush box) with a 2 seconds comparison shot of an R230. Not what was billed.

What was interesting is that parts are still available for this 40 year old car. When you cannot even get a 3 year old lap top repaired, makes you wonder how Mercedes is going to be supplying electronic parts to fix my SL55 for the umpteenth time in 2040.

My guess is that most SLs will be scrapped because the (already out of date by the time the car was launched) electronics on which they depend to even run are no longer available.