sl 500
Aussie sl350 test drive

350SL and 500SL difference in Australia
• Extra 2 cylinders in 500SL
• High beam in Xenon as well as low beam in 500SL, low beam Xenon on 350SL
• Parktronic not standard on 350SL
• Heated and ventilated seats on 500SL
• 350SL approximately $AUS220 000, 500SL $AUS 310 000
Apart from that all the rest is the same, obviously you can add the options in.

Appearance
Burgundy red (metallic), beige interior with walnut wood finish. Steering wheel and gear shift column in beige leather, would have been really nice with the same wood. The top of door handles and grill fins are frosted aluminium finish. If it wasn’t for the 350 sign age at the back, there is no way of telling the difference between 500 and 350. A real classy looking car
A really disappointing feature is the sun shade, looks absolutely awful and totally out of character with a car that cost so much. Had a quick look at the C class and guess what – the sun shade was of better quality. Sorry no pictures, he called to me test drive the car straight after work, hence no camera.

Ride
I was driving along the city only, hence speed was very restricted to between 50-60km/hr. It was a firm ride on 17inch wheels , maybe a bit too much for my liking. Definitely not keen on the 18inch after trying this set of wheels. It was the standard 7spoke wheels. Did notice some scuttle shakes especially over the railway lines on the road. Having been driving my sedan for so long, I did notice the slight lack of structural integrity as result of the missing permanent roof. So is it something all cabriolet driver gets use to and accept it ? I guess I was expecting a more solid feel.
The car did not have ABC, but from what the dealer mentioned, unless you drive the car really hard, the ABC will never really come on. Anyone with airmatic suspension in their E or S tell me the ride difference compared to their SL

Power
Once again no real chance to try it out but for my 99% of driving time is in the above mentioned speed , I guess it is more than adequate. Would have love to try out the 500, but I guess I will really rarely use its potential. So overall the 350 will be more than enough for me.

Overall impressions
To my way of thinking and driving the 350SL will be the best value for money to get the SL experience. It is a lot of money for me , but once in my life I think I will have a splurge. I worked hard, paid of my mortgage and I need sometime fun to drive after a hard day at the office. I have been looking to buy an exotic car for last 4 years, started looking at Boxster S, then 911, followed by Maserati Coupe GT. The last 2 cars mentioned are about the same price in Australia but 911 getting old now, and I still do not quite trust the Maserati brand and its resale value.
With luck my car should come in by middle of the year 04.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
You'll enjoy your car Monty.

The ride seems to settle down; I thought it suprisingly firm on the standard wheels (which I have & like) but it now seems to be more compliant.

The SL350 doesn't suffer from much scuttle shake given the cars size and weight, but I do not what you mean by the lack of "solid" feel, especially c/f our BMW's.

Nice choice - with the constraints on speed in Australasia (I'm from NZ) its certainly all you will need.

I'm still out on the ABC. Suspect your dealer is right. Wouldn't do without Parktronic, tho.

You live in the right place to have a convertible, and your summary of choice of sports car mirrors mine. The wait is part of the fun of ownership - have fun!!
Old 12-21-2003, 11:42 AM

SL500
Regarding ABC - its on all the time in a 500 and makes it noticeably better all the time, no matter how hard you're driving. Very little roll, squat or dive.

Whether ABC is worth the extra on a 350 is a different question. I'd say not. You're better off buying a 500 which is a better car, but then again its costs a fair amount more!!!

(I had an SL500, but now have a SL350 - both were 2003 models on AMG 18"s)

There is noticable difference in appearance between the 350 and 500 (but one only a bit of an anarok would spot I guess!) - that is that the 350 rides much higher with large gaps between the wheels and arches, whereas the ABC equipped 500 sits much lower and looks much better (I've never seen an ABC equipped 350 but guess than would actually look identical).

Enjoy your 350. Its still a great car, and makes a far better noise than other 320/350 engined mercs, which was a nice surprise for me (not as good as the V8 500 of course though!!).
Old 12-21-2003, 01:21 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Y'know, Nasty, I never noticed that the SL350 rides higher.

I guess it would, given the weight & no ABC.

I thought I'd get away with a de-badge.

So what do you think of your 350? Consider it a downgrade on the 500, or a more "sensible" choice?

Notice Monty's not considering a new SLK..:p
Old 12-21-2003, 03:19 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Ride quality of SL500 ABC

"Crawling round town, the ride quality is excellent. Small intrusions get swept up and the bodyshell doesn’t flex or shimmy. Up the speed a little and the SL’s ride is at its very best; even big executive saloons won’t offer much more comfort."

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/RoadT....asp?RT=200066

"can’t think of any roadsters or coupes more relaxing to drive. Its engine is so refined, gearshift is so seamless, chassis is so free of NVH, steering is so free of kickback, ride is so compliant, so supple that you might think you are driving a long-wheelbase S-class"

http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Mercedes6.htm#SL

I don't think ride quality is a problem on a Mercedes-Benz...
Old 12-21-2003, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree the SL350 is probably an excellent choice given the zealous enforcement of the speed limits in Australia. Although a great fan of ABC, I don't think you need it, the lighter car and smaller lump in the front-end helps.

I agree parktronic is useful, helps preserve your special purchase in good condition. From your comments about the sunshade, did this car have the panoramic roof? If you have the regular roof, there are some options to improve the appearance. You can have it covered in alcantara or, if you go for the nappa leather option, it comes covered in leather which looks good. I agree though the standard trim is a bit disappointing.

Scuttle shake comes with the territory, the SL is stiffer than most.

But what staggers me is the PRICE. AU$310k for an SL500!!! that makes it 80% more than here in the UK and 150% more than in the US! It's said that the cost of living in Oz is 2/3 that of the UK, so that makes it an especially expensive purchase. Ouch.

I agree with you about the Maserati and the Porsche. The Maser is an unknown quantity and I can't believe there isn't someone in Zuffenhausen who worries that the company's success is founded on a 40 year old product, especially after the Cayenne debacle. But wait, there's something even more ugly coming out of Germany than the BMW 5/7 and Porsche Cayenne. The new Audi front-end. Indescribably hideous.

Go with the SL350, it will suit the wonderful laid back open air Australian life-style perfectly. If you're fortunate enough to live somewhere with 300 days sunshine a year, it is the perfect choice. Just don't forget to "slip, slop, slap" or whatever the slogan is!
Old 12-22-2003, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
sounds great monty are you in melbourne or warmer climes?? The BMW 645ci may be worth considering if you can hack the looks. Enjoy!!! Or the Jaguar XK8 supercharged but getting long in the tooth now and resale is not much chop. Or if you want to save money in the bank the 350Z is worth a look.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 AM

SL500
Mustard,

Regarding the 500 to 350 swop. I was expecting it to be just slower but otherwise identical to the 500, so was a bit surpised at the difference ABC makes.

When all is said and done, the car is still fantastic and I enjoy driving it (well, wafting around in it) - I don't really miss the benefits of the 500. Neither is a sports car so the added goodies and pace of a 500 aren't really an issue day to day.

On that basis, the 350 is most definately the more sensible choice, hence why I swapped!! The jornos can say what they like and argue that the 500 is worth the extra money, which I would concur it is, but at the end of the day the jornos aren't the ones spending the money are they - on that basis the 350 is a fine choice.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:43 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Good summary.

Presses all my prejudicial buttons...
Old 12-23-2003, 10:42 PM

sl 500
thanks for comment

thanks for the comments guys, feedback much appreciated

i did consider for the slk350 - but recent pictures both the inside and the especially the back of it put me right off. i know there r no official pictures yet , but spyshoots pictures all carry the same themes. to me the new slk looks to rounded at the back. this is also the reason i stayed away from the clk cabriolet (current model) because of the backend-too rounded.

with regards to the BMW 6 - great looker from the pictures so far, but terrible interior. i went to the sydney car show just to see 2 cars - SL 350 launch and the new BMW 5. I thought the interior on the 5 looks really cheap and i think it is similar looking on the 6.

well time to go - it is X'mas eve down here, temperature 32 celcius ( ~85 F) now , will go swimming after this.

TO ALL MBWORLD FORUM READERS - MERRY X'MAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND KEEP ENJOYING YOUR CARS
Old 12-23-2003, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Show off! It's Christmas Eve up here, 3 degress celcius (~ 39 F) now, will NOT be going swimming after this.

But thank you for your seasonal good wishes anyway....
Old 12-24-2003, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
yes monty great convertible and beach weather here enjoy your swim watch out for white pointers..
Old 12-24-2003, 10:00 AM

SL500
Monty

Quite agree the interior of the new 5 is rather cheap looking. The 6 is better, and quite an impressive car in the flesh.

I'm surprised the new SLK is not so popular though. I also was dissappointed with the new CLK (I had a CLK500 that felt cheap and underwhealming to say the least), but I'm convinced that the new SLK55 will be an absolute winner - dare I say it will actually make the current SL start to look dated. I have a good feeling that the new SLK will have a positive feel of the SL about it, opposite to the unfortunate way MB gave the CLK the feel of a C class (not a bad car, but on a 47k coupe - not upto scratch).

For now, for me, the SL still rules the current market - you won't be dissappointed.