SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New Maserati Spyder/Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Maserati Spyder/Coupe

I realize that this is an MB forum, of course, but since most contributors here are knowledgable about higher end vehicles, I'm wondering if anyone here looked at the new Maseratis coming out this spring.
I went to the Chicago Auto Show to see the R230 and while scanning the rest of the venue was quite impressed, visually at least, with the Spyder. First Maseratis in the US since 1994. Start at around $87K w/o options, 400hp V8, 0-60 in 4.8. Unfortunately owned by Ferrari with only 24 dealerships in the US.
Anyone have any first hand knowledge or opinion about them?
Old 03-24-2002, 02:29 AM

2005 Mercedes SLK350
the new maserati is fast...very fast. and considering its speed, the $87,000 price tag isn't too bad. but its looks can't match the new SL. its a little...lacking in character
Old 03-24-2002, 04:38 PM

SL55. GT40
I have driven Spyder twice. It is not very solid, the bodyy and wheel shake are very pronounced and uncomfortable. The rear window is plastic. As to the price, you need to add the $3,700 gas gussler tax!! I think the coupe with a reasonable back seat, lower price and slightly better performance, and more structual integraty may be something to look at.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:00 PM

Thnaks for the feedback. I've read the same thing you noted about the vibration and less than optimal rigidity.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:27 PM

I have seen it, and I think it's a car people who more buy for looks then it mechanics or speed and specs. I think Jaguar, and SL500 have some competition for those facts.

-Petey
Old 03-25-2002, 11:38 AM

sl500 1998/ferrari 355gts 1997
I thought about the Maserati Spyder. They're positioning it as a "daily driver" vs. their Ferraris, which are more for occasional driving. The Maserati comes with a 4 year warranty, vs. the Ferrari 2 year. As a current Ferrari owner, I would never drive mine daily--too uncomfortable, and too impractical (eg, it's so low to the ground that I can't get in or out of many parking garages or even parking lots).

Ultimately, I was worried about quality and resale for the Maserati. Also, if I went with the Maserati, I'd have to have a "spare" car--if the Maserati goes into the shop, don't expect to have it come back soon. A year ago, I had my Ferrari in the shop, and it took over a month for the parts from Italy to make it over here.

Anyhow, for my daily driver, I'm going with the SL. The "hard top" was also a factor. I'm getting tired of the road noise from my current SL. I'm dumping the Ferrari when I get around to it. The SL55 is as fast or faster 0-60 than my 355GTS, and I can drive it all time time.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:22 PM
Almost a Member!

I agree with what most of you are trying to say about the car being unsolid, and shaky, i too as well as my dad have test driven this car, as alternative to the SL. The interior of the SL was very chunky, and not very comfortable. But i must confess the car is really nice from outside, and its performance is great, although not the same type of performance you will be looking for in a Mesaretti. Both cars have their ups and downs; the Maseretti is a lot of show and great performance, both interior and exterior are great but it is unsolid, and the SL is very nice in exterior not completly in interior, but just does give the same feel as the Maseretti does with its Cambiocorsa, 360 Modena type transmission, and its engine is a lot more sports car like. Overall; the Maseratti wins performance, and looks but SL wins elegance, and doesnt have as much limitation as the Spyder does and can be driven on a day to day basis unlike the Maseretti which deserves a lot of special care. Its a hard desicion one that me and my dad have to face.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:49 AM

2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
SL over Maserati!

I haven't driven either one yet. But my concern about the Maserati is the lack of an established dealership support.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:34 AM

2005 Mercedes SLK350
for anyone who lives near the los angeles area...
...where in the world can you drive a maserati spyder? where is there a maserati dealer?

thanks
Old 04-01-2002, 10:16 PM
Almost a Member!

There are no Maseretti specific dealerships. Maseretti's are sold under the Ferrari dealership due to the fact that it is now owned by Ferrari, perhaps what makes the beast that it is. The reason i fell in love with Maseretti was because of this exactly many things in the Maseretti derive from the Modena, most importantly the F1 mechanism, called Cambiocorsa in the Spyder. Both mechanisms are amazing and could change gears in just .25 seconds!
Old 04-08-2002, 10:29 PM

2003 CL55
My concern about the Spyder, beyond its uninspiring lines IMO, is the build quality and dealer support, despite the 4 year warranty. Remember that you will be dealing with a Ferrari dealer and they are likely to be less customer friendly than the average MB dealer. BTW, I think that Ferrari is the ultimate sports car. It is worth waiting a year or so to see how the Maserati rates. In the meantime, there are plenty of great cars available, as the market seems quite soft for CLK 55's, Porsches, etc. We will wait for our SL 500 Sport delivery in the fall. In the meantime the '02 CL 500 Sport and the '02 C4S will do just fine. (We passed on the Spyder after inspecting one in January soon afgter it arrived at the dealer.) If you are very paitient, wait for the SL 55. It won't run with a Porsche TT or the 360, but it has many attributes that the other two do not.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:46 PM
BJL
Almost a Member!

'03 SL 500 LE, SLK 32, ML 55, '03 SL 55 (August)
Your statement about the SL 55 is only partially true. ALthough the SL 55 might not quite be able to hang as well in the turns with the 911 Turbo or a 360, the SL 55 will beat them both in acceleration. Various comparison tests by Top gear mag, Car, Autosport, etc.. have already proven that to be true.

The SL 55 will still nonetheless handle extremely well despite its heft and be able to run with any production car in the world.

If you don't take my word for it, go read the mags.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:02 AM

ML 500 Sport
This is true...all reports are that the car is superbly balanced and the ABC suspension gives great cornering stability...the biggest problem in handling is due to weight which really only harms in slow speed tight cornering...At least two MB insiderers have confirmed to me that the car actually has over 500HP (now "officially" reported at 493HP)...hence the staggering performance being demonstrated in some of the tests. The awesome torque the car produces should give even greater flexibility in car control over some of the other high winding supercars. the fact that reviewers are describing the 55 as one of the stiffest cars they have ever driven in spite of it's weight is a testimony to the engineering that MB/AMG put into this car.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:47 AM

2003 CL55
BJL
I do not doubt your information about the straight line acceleration of the SL 55. What time did it turn at the Ring? If you like ABC then the SL55 is your car. Note from my post that we expect our SL 500 in the fall. I am aware that the bhp rating on the 55 is at or above 500. Also in my post is my opinion that the SL 55 has attributes that the other two sports cars do not, not the least of which is crash worthiness. If I drove on the Autobahn it would be my choice. I look forward to your impressions after you have driven the SL 55, or the SL 500, the P-TT and the Ferrari 360.
ABC is an awesome system. I say this after spending 7 months in my '02 CL 500 Sport. However, it is just not the same as driving a C4S Porsche or TT with their progressive rate springs and otherwise fabulous suspension. ABC keeps the wheels firmly planted in all attitudes, which is great for a 4070 lb. car, but the driving satisfaction for me is much greater in the Porsche. To each his or her own. Have fun with your SL55!