SL/R230: Joining with trepidation......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl500
Joining with trepidation......

Hi,

I have had a love affair with the SL500 2004 to 2007.
My problem is, I haven't owned one yet. Yes it's been a long distance love affair. I want to put one of these in my garage. I have been a muscle car fan most of my life and do most mechanicals on my cars.
But, and there is always a but, I am 65 and I have found I'm not the contortionist I used to be and my "JOY" of wrenching is slowly diminishing.

Now along comes the MB cupid to shoot my heart full of SL500 arrows.

And after reading more and more and more............the doubts and concerns are slowly overtaking the excitement, joy and anticipation of owning one.

I have driven 2. I was looking for a comfortable performance ride and if it's sexy, I'll try to deal with that at my age best I can.

I joined without yet owning a car just to dip my toe in the water and see what the owners and members have to say about the car.

ABC seems to be the achilles heal. Then there's the CPS. That's any easy one. The car I'm looking at is too old for an extended warranty. It is a 1 owner 2004 SL500 with 130K on it. The price is 12K which leaves me some funds for repairs and maintenance.

I'm on the fence...........like marriage............it can be a good thing, and fill my life with memories or could end in divorce with the car taking my money and making me regret the decision for life.

So......I have a week to do research........and have been doing my homework..............and honestly............I'm listening to a lot of:
"once bitten, twice shy" postings.............
Old 09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
You only live once right? Remove the doubts and fears and cross that item off your bucket list. She's a sexy and fun ride. My brother in law had the 55 version and yeah, she's pretty amazing. For $12K that's a relative steal as long as she was well cared for.

Welcome to MBWorld
Old 09-01-2015, 12:44 PM

2004 sl500
Thank you for your "nudge".........towards purchase.

I have looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be any other car that interest me now.
I've had Corvette convertibles and it's the SL500 hardtop convertible that is pushing my interest.
I like the quiet having a hardtop.........cloth convertibles have never appealed to me. Even my Corvette is a coupe.
But....to go from coupe to convertible...........WOW...........

Thanks again for weighing in on a newbee's first post. I'm a member of a lot of car forums......it's a great asset to have when it comes to finding the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to cars.

AZ
Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to R230 forum...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Originally Posted by azmusclecar
But, and there is always a but, I am 65 and I have found I'm not the contortionist I used to be and my "JOY" of wrenching is slowly diminishing.
Look at this...you passed the 1st test of R230 ownership...you can do your own wrenching! Yes, it is not as fun as it used to be, but with this car it is only affordable (IMHO) if you do your own wrenching. Dealers and shops will kill you and remove the joy.

I'm pushing 57 and do my own stunts, and wrenching. If you have a lift, it will make any work an easy task. Yes, that is $2-3000 worth of "tools", but it's an investment you keep no matter what you drive.

Now spend another $700 on a Star Diagnostic System (SDS) and you have the 'other' MB tool required. Now you can go right to the problem (there will likely be a few) and see what needs fixed. Can be re-sold if required. Great investment.

I have no lift (used to) and still do all work on my car, but I do have an SDS and it gives me a checklist of what needs attention, if anything.

I won't get into the details of what to expect, but search for my other posts to see what I've done to my SL55 so far. Most of my work was preventative to make the car reliable with age. So far it is.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
coming from muscle cars you may want to consider spending just a little more and look at an SL55 or even a 65. At least drive one. I think you will be surprised at how muscle carish they are.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:14 PM

2004 sl500
Originally Posted by TTtodd
coming from muscle cars you may want to consider spending just a little more and look at an SL55 or even a 65. At least drive one. I think you will be surprised at how muscle carish they are.
You make a good point.

However the SL500 will be more for comfort, convenience and the look.

l have a C2 Corvette and use that for the seat of the pants thrill ride, car shows and car cruises. The SL500 will be more for pleasure trips. The Corvette doesn't have A/C, or cruise, or any power options. Just POWER GALORE at the push of the gas pedal.

I need a nice pleasure ride now. Besides, if I follow your advice, you know what happens.....then the SL600 would be the carrot on the stick and on and on it goes.

Thanks for your suggestion but my passion must be tempered with some logic, reasoning and hopefully saneness. Note..I said hopefully.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:20 PM

2004 sl500
Originally Posted by kbob999

Now spend another $700 on a Star Diagnostic System (SDS) and you have the 'other' MB tool required. Now you can go right to the problem (there will likely be a few) and see what needs fixed. Can be re-sold if required. Great investment.
While I'm doing my homework, where can I buy a SDS Scanner?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Originally Posted by azmusclecar
While I'm doing my homework, where can I buy a SDS Scanner?
Member 'Shardul' sells them, as well as aftermarket performance parts. Send him a PM. He loaded it on my PC and supplied the other hardware. Good guy.

Others have used eBay or China stores with generally good results. Just about all these systems are clones, not the real MB system.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 AM

2004 sl500
Originally Posted by kbob999
Member 'Shardul' sells them, as well as aftermarket performance parts. Send him a PM. He loaded it on my PC and supplied the other hardware. Good guy.

Others have used eBay or China stores with generally good results. Just about all these systems are clones, not the real MB system.
Thanks for the lead......I figured I could get one on EBay but I wanted to know if a member could benefit from a purchase. May as well benefit a known car guy.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
I purchases a complete SDS with Dell laptop on ebay. Jimmy I think the guys name was. It works perfectly and also has development and coding.

At the time of purchase I didn't know another member sold them. I would certainly go that route if I would have known.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 AM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
For peace of mind you could do like me, wait for one to come across CarMax. Depending on the year, you might have trouble getting an extended warranty, if buying from an individual. One of the recommended companies I cross shopped to get an idea on pricing, Fidelity, said my '05 SL65 was one year too old. CarMax's MaxCare covered it no problem. My only regret, with hindsight, is that I should've ponied up for the no deductible verses the $300 I chose. Oh well. Just do it, man! I also second looking at the 55/600/65. I couldn't believe it when the 65 popped up on CarMax with an excellent price. I took it as sign, lol.