SL/R230: Right rear fog warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 and SL500
Right rear fog warning

Hi,

I have a 2004 SL500 that's giving me an intermittent warning about the right rear fog. Since I'm in the USA, I only have a left rear fog...

My mechanic thought it would be a coding problem, so he made sure it's coded USA and checked various other info, but couldn't find anything obvious, so he gave up :-(

I'm guessing there some sort of 'widget' in the right rear bulb holder instead of a bulb?

Is the widget likely to be the problem or was he on the right track with the coding or is it likely something else we haven't thought of?

I'm wondering if I can switch left bulb and right widget to see if the problem follows, but I can't reach them through the service panel that I use to get to the tail and brake lamp bulbs. It looks like I might be able to get there if I stop the vario roof at half way and then remove the carpet in the trunk. Is that the right way or can I get there through the service hatch?

If it is the widget, does anyone know if I can get a replacement and where?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Gary
Old 03-10-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 and SL500
Right rear fog warning

Happy to be able to answer my own question

I lowered the roof and then raised it so the top was in place but the trunk lid was still raised. This allowed me easy access to remove a 'bumper' held by a single screw and then ease the carpet out from under the seal strip.

With the carpet pulled back I could see the bulb holder. It's high up, right in the corner of the car and easy to access this way, even with my oversize hands.

The bulb holder didn't feel like it was seated correctly, I pulled it, checked it and after a few tries found a seating that feels right.

No more warnings, so far...

Gary
The following users liked this post:
Ghostty (03-10-2016)