SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: retractable hardtop question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retractable hardtop question

Hi im interested in buying a sl in a few months and have been trying to read alot of posts to find out more about it.

i was just wondering how long it takes to put down/up the top and when can u do it? like during a red light or does the car have to be shot off?

thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
16 seconds (according to articles Ive read), the same length of time I have timed for my soft top.

You can do it at a light if well timed.

A bit risky for emarrasment if you don't finish in time. If you try to drive away while the top is still in motion ... you can't, without warning lights flashing & buzzers sounding.

The tops are not ment to put up or down at any significant speed.

I find I can drop the top while backing out of my parking stall without and lights or buzzers flashing.

I am reporting the R129 soft top function ... presuming the warning systems and limits of operation are the same.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by ChrisB
16 seconds (according to articles Ive read), the same length of time I have timed for my soft top.

A bit risky for emarrasment if you don't finish in time. If you try to drive away while the top is still in motion ... you can't, without warning lights flashing & buzzers sounding.

I find I can drop the top while backing out of my parking stall without and lights or buzzers flashing.

I am reporting the R129 soft top function ... presuming the warning systems and limits of operation are the same.
cool thanks alot!!

i also see u are also from vancouver, im in the burnaby area right now. Loving the weather we've been having lately, not including today tho
Old 02-29-2004, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by ChrisB

Are you sure about that 16 second result for a R129? If so, then the R230's drop time would not have been such a big deal if a 14 year old car can do the same thing.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:46 AM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by internet_mafia
Are you sure about that 16 second result for a R129? If so, then the R230's drop time would not have been such a big deal if a 14 year old car can do the same thing.
Soft top vs hard top = big difference. Its not just a piece of canvas thats being tucked away.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
I'll check the 16 second soft top drop time when I take the hard top off a couple of weeks from now.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:31 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
16 seconds...up or down...is quite accurate. I have had no problems at all getting the top up or down at a light. Even if I did delay people a little, they are usually so capitvated by seeing it go up or down they don't care too much about the light being green for 3 or 4 seconds.

The car will prevent you from putting the top up or down if it perceives too much speed - I think it's 3mph or less. Given the price of the car...it doesn't bother me at all to be at a complete stop.

SL500 Blk/Charcoal

Keyless Go (a must!)
Panorama Top
Comfort Package
Heated Steering Wheel