SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Backup Camera for SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CL550 ; 2009 SL-550 Silver Arrow
Backup Camera for SL550

I have a 2009 SL Silver Arrow and want to install a backup camera. Is there any way to do this with the COMMAND system. According to the manual, there should be an AUX IN plug in the glovebox. Negative - there are no connections of any kind there. In the console, there is a connector cord with two inputs. One looks like an Audio and the other looks like an Ipod input. On a previous SL I had, I replaced the COMMAND unit so it was not a problem - just a lot of money. LOL Greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks
Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I know this is a few months old, but you are in luck! A member over on the benzworld forum discovered that the COMAND NTG 2.5 head unit (used starting with the MY2009 facelift) is capable of a simple backup installation. I just got through installing it, too.
Here's the thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...ed-issues.html

Basically, you get a cheap backup camera (we used the Crimestopper SV-6818) and a FAKRA-to-RCA pigtail. There is a green FAKRA connector on the back of the COMAND unit that you plug the camera into. The most challenging part of the job is running the wire to the trunk. You have to run through both the trunk's traditional hinge system and the "reverse" hinge system for when operating the roof. Also, the Crimestopper's included cable is only 20 feet long, and you really need 25 feet (see my notes in that thread). The OP on that thread chose to use an additional wireless adapter, which would me much easier to connect, but I like a good challenge.

Once the camera is physically installed an powered, you need SDS developer mode to enable it, and that's it. it works very well. The only annoying thing I have encountered is that I can get in, start the car, fasten my seat belt and put it into reverse a few seconds before the "lawyer warning" is finished on the COMAND display. I've looked in SDS to find a way to disable the stupid warning, but haven't found it. So, when I want to use the camera, I just have to be a bit patient.