SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: sl500 best driving position to avoid leg pain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550 AMG Sports Package
Sciatic nerve !!! Trust me I know

Go see a Chiropractor !! I had the same pain and thought it was the way I was seating in my SL but the pain transfer to whatever car I drove. I went to my doctor who thought it was a hamstring issue. WRONG !!! I had a friend that was a physical therapist and she said back issue ?? I said NO WAY !!! Because the pain was in my hamstring?? I went to her and she got the pain level from a 7-8 to about a 3. I went online and some sites advised going a chiropractor , so luckily I had friend that just finished school and started a practice with another Dr. After 2 visit I was CURED !!! LOL BELIEVE ME, do yourself the favor and either try physical therapy or a good chiropractor !!!! You'll thank me later. Also No wallets !!! LOL
Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
How I cured (I think) hamstring pain: hamstring exercise machine at the gym.

I have been having a helluva time with my hamstrings ... blamed it on the lawn mower, the large, bumpy yard I have to mow weekly, and my advancing years (72), and misspent youth. Although I'm a regular at the gym, I've avoided the hamstring trainer because it requires the user to lie down, rather awkwardly, on his tummy and chest. I had heart surgery three years ago ... aortic valve replacement ... and I can't comfortably lie on my chest on the hamstring device.

Anyhow, I finally sucked it up and got as comfortable as I could and began using the hamstring device and ... voila ... it resolved my hamstring pains and lower back pains.

FWIW.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
I'm 5'10" and had the same problem in an Audi A4. Something in the seat was hitting my sciatic nerve and would make my leg begin to hurt after about 1 hr.

I had the seat changed out under warranty twice then I had to put a folded up beach towel on the seat so I could drive it.

I have driven my SL on a 5 hour trip. No Pain. I think it may be just the way your seat hits that nerve. A folded up towel will help.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:17 PM

SL500 AMG 2003
quick update. Medical exam went great. My right leg suffers from sciatic symptoms but not severe . Doctor prescribed swimming twice a week.

I also went to a chiropractor and got acupuncture treatment for the pain which helped a lot. The chropractor was kind enough to leave his office and come down to the parking lot to have a look at and sit in my car. He agreed on the following
-The SL500 pedals are raised in such a way that unless cruise control is used very often , eventually the hamstring will be affected.
- The steering wheel is positioned in a weird way and will force most drivers to lean with the right leg.

(Im 180cm/ 5.9 feet and with an average built body according to the doc. He´s 5,6 feet.)

His best advice was to drive this car as little as possible or try using several cushions to raise the body slightly higher than the bucket seats will allow.

Conclusion: I love this car. the r230 sl500 is a great daily driver. But I´ll most likely sell the car and buy a toyota prius plugin 2010. Provided its a comfortable car to drive.

thank you all for replying to this thread. If ever I can repay you, please let me know.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 CLK550 convertible, 2012 ,,E550 Cabrio, 2012 Audi Q5
I purchased my dream car, an 07 SL550 last August and could not ever find a comfortable driving position that did not cause right leg hamstring pain after 15 minutes of driving. I found myself constantly adjusting the driving position but the pain would always return. I recently sold it after purchasing an 09 CLK550 cabrio with 28K. No leg pain and, in my opinion, a very similar driving experience .
Old 01-17-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 GLA 250 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ptrigg17
Just an observation, Nordicsl is 5'9" and I am 5'8". I would like to hear from others of similar height that may or may not have comfort issues.
I'm 5'9 and just got my GLA250 2 weeks ago. My right hamstring hurts! I'm trying every seat position I can! Any help would be great!
​​​​​
Old 01-17-2020, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Originally Posted by Rhonda Howeiler
Any help would be great!
​​​​​
It’s all here for you, in this thread...
Old 01-17-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
I'm 5'9 and just got my GLA250 2 weeks ago. My right hamstring hurts! I'm trying every seat position I can! Any help would be great!
​​​​​
sorry, wrong section

you need to go here
https://mbworld.org/forums/gla-class-x156-180/

There are many choices for DAS/Xentry Diagnostics for MB.
Ensure you have the right information before getting one. There is too much misleading info.
I’m a forum member and programmer who’s learned the hard way. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by pmercury; 01-20-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:42 PM

SL500 AMG 2003
​​​​​
Hi, I went to a chiropractor and I also go for acupuncture once a month. This has helped me a lot with my right hamstring.
This is my current seating position and I would recommend it to anyone that suffers from back pain or hamstring pain.

Although these tips
helped with my hamstring but I stopped driving the car because the leg pain would still not go away.
This never happens on my regular e-wagon , so I do not drive an SL500 r230 any longer. At most its for 2 weeks per year
And I will have to sell the car as soon as the Tesla model 3 drops in price.

Good luck rhonda

Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2004 SL500
I've experienced some discomfort after hours in the seat. For me, I know exactly what it is, the SL seat bottom does not allow for enough angle at the thighs. If anyone has been in a R171 SLK you know what I'm talking about.

The SL seat, when raised, allows for my thighs to be supported to the end of the seat, when the seat is lowered I can't raise the angle high enough to meet my thighs. In my old SLK, the angle was VERY bucket like and allowed for the seat on the floor and as far back as possible with full thigh support.

For metrics, I'm 6'3", 225lbs.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 SL500
I know this is an old thread, but when I came across it I had to respond. I've read road test reviews that state the seats are the most comfortable they have ever experienced and can drive for over eight hours or more and exit the car completely refreshed. I'm your age, but I've owed my SL for over ten years and have never been able to sit in it for more than an hour without experiencing back and neck pain, no matter how the seat is adjusted. I had a 2001 Acura CL Type S for eighteen years and those seats were comfortable. I'm thinking that with twelve way adjustments are too many, too many possible combinations. I did finally determine that the back of the lower cushion just slopes too much and has a very low depression in the rear which causes undue strain on my back. Adjusting the lumbar to max helps, but I fashioned a wedge type cushion which adds support to the rear of my bum and then a pillow across the lumbar for more support. This does the trick and avoids much discomfort. Happy motoring.
The following users liked this post:
Frederick NL (12-30-2020)