SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Aftermarket arrow style Mirror cover blinking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
Aftermarket arrow style Mirror cover blinking

I've had the aftermarket facelift style side mirror covers with the arrow style turn signal for about two years. Ever since I installed them I had this problem;
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/551131-new-style-mirror-cover-help.html

The lights would blink somewhat sporadically when car off ever few seconds, but I didn't mind it much and almost looked like an alarm 'feature' to me

Fast forward to now, new Mercedes battery in the trunk and the condition has worsended. They are blinking much brighter, extremely rapidly, so much so
the passenger mirror even looks to stay on constantly at times

has anyone else that experienced this issue fixed it? My thought right now is to pull the panel and add resistors to increase the load and maybe soak up the extra pulsed current (or maybe even a small incandescent bulb behind the panel for the same effect)
thanks!
Old 02-05-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts
R230
I've had the Arrow mirrors for 3 yrs. Work fine.
You need to run a Star SDS code check to see what related issues are showing up.
Good Luck
Old 02-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
Thanks for the suggestion and feedback! There are no codes (when this first occurred after install or now with the increased frequency / rapid blinking)
there is also no problem with the stock led strips plugged in for testing. It's a quirk I experience only with the aftermarket facelift style mirror cover led on my '03.

Several other members have had the same problem, there are posts scattered within various facelift mirror threads. unfortunately no fixes posted as of yet. Most seem to have no issues, yourself included.

Still hoping someone has a confirmed fix, but I'll give my idea a try sometime and report back!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts
R230
What is unusual is (when) it happens with increasing intensity. Are both sides blinking at the same brightness?
Sounds like the perimeter light feature( at shut off /alarm).

Try shutting it off and see if still happens.
If that's the cause, commonly points to a defective LED resistor or wiring connection to them

FWIW; How old is your alarm? The battery inside can cause a bunch of issues, I have perimeter lights on at shutoff and alarm with a new Generation audible beep feature without any lighting problem.
Good Luck

Last edited by Hary Gahtoe; 02-05-2017 at 05:59 PM.