SL/R230: What options should I look for,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
What options should I look for,

Greetings my fellow MB world members!

I have decided to part ways with my BMW convertible pictured in my avatar and have narrowed down my selection to a R230. I am no stranger to MB. I drove an e-class for 3 years and have an S-Class now. I understand the weak spots of MB and the cost. I have been reviewing the forums and the concerns here seem to mirror the concerns of other MB models.I am a little concerned about ABC. I understand what I am getting into....again and will take the appropriate PPI steps.

What I am really interested in knowing about are options. From what I can see from past reviews these cars did not have many options. From what I can tell they come well equipped. My questions are:

1. What are the most sought after options to be looking for?

2. was there an option for airmatic vs. ABC? TO be more specific are there non-ABC cars out there?

3. Is the area behind the seats a jump seat? Or is that strictly a storage area?

This isn't going to be my daily driver. It will spend most of its time in the garage. I have a $15,000 to $18,000 cash dollar budget looking to at 2006 to 2008 model years. I would prefer the 2007 and up. High miles don't concern me to much.

The reason I am selling my BMW and Corvette is 1. I don't drive the Vette enough. 2. I am tired of the harsh ride from both cars. The S class ruined the driving experience that I used to love in the BMW. Now I just want a glass smooth ride, crisp handling and bundles of power in a nice sounding package.

That's all for now.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350 Sport (W166) / SL500 (R230)
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
Greetings my fellow MB world members!

I have decided to part ways with my BMW convertible pictured in my avatar and have narrowed down my selection to a R230. I am no stranger to MB. I drove an e-class for 3 years and have an S-Class now. I understand the weak spots of MB and the cost. I have been reviewing the forums and the concerns here seem to mirror the concerns of other MB models.I am a little concerned about ABC. I understand what I am getting into....again and will take the appropriate PPI steps.

What I am really interested in knowing about are options. From what I can see from past reviews these cars did not have many options. From what I can tell they come well equipped. My questions are:

1. What are the most sought after options to be looking for?

2. was there an option for airmatic vs. ABC? TO be more specific are there non-ABC cars out there?

3. Is the area behind the seats a jump seat? Or is that strictly a storage area?

This isn't going to be my daily driver. It will spend most of its time in the garage. I have a $15,000 to $18,000 cash dollar budget looking to at 2006 to 2008 model years. I would prefer the 2007 and up. High miles don't concern me to much.

The reason I am selling my BMW and Corvette is 1. I don't drive the Vette enough. 2. I am tired of the harsh ride from both cars. The S class ruined the driving experience that I used to love in the BMW. Now I just want a glass smooth ride, crisp handling and bundles of power in a nice sounding package.

That's all for now.
1. IMO the best options are, AMG bodykit, panoramic roof and premium Bose audio.

2. No airmatic avaliable, all SL500's and SL550's have ABC. The SL350's have conventional spring suspension with ABC as an option.

3. Area behind the seats is for storage only.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
When I was shopping for my SL, the only option that was a must for me was the pano roof. I love getting to cruise top-down, but most of my driving is with the roof up and the pano option makes the interior feel much more open and airy. I'm 6-2" and felt a little claustrophobic without it.

The Bi-Xenon headlights are dramatically brighter when using the high beams, very impressive if you drive along country roads at night.

Those are the two that really impress me, you will have to decide what's important to you. All US spec r230s will have navigation and the Bose or HK system (depending on year) stock. If you intend on doing a lot of highway cruising distronic is very convenient as it can maintain a following distance rather than just a set speed.

the r230 will not be as silky smooth as your s class. The S is tuned for a much smoother ride and has a longer wheelbase. Even in AMG trims (sl55/65), it should be smoother than the BMW or vette, however.
All US spec r230s have ABC suspension with no other option available. Some cars have been converted to standard springs as documented in this forum.

Last edited by dRockSL55; 02-05-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ML350 Sport (W166) / SL500 (R230)
Originally Posted by dRockSL55
When I was shopping for my SL, the only option that was a must for me was the pano roof. I love getting to cruise top-down, but most of my driving is with the roof up and the pano option makes the interior feel much more open and airy. I'm 6-2" and felt a little claustrophobic without it.

The Bi-Xenon headlights are dramatically brighter when using the high beams, very impressive if you drive along country roads at night.

Those are the two that really impress me, you will have to decide what's important to you. All US spec r230s will have navigation and the Bose or HK system (depending on year) stock. If you intend on doing a lot of highway cruising distronic is very convenient as it can maintain a following distance rather than just a set speed.

the r230 will not be as silky smooth as your s class. The S is tuned for a much smoother ride and has a longer wheelbase. Even in AMG trims (sl55/65), it should be smoother than the BMW or vette, however.
All US spec r230s have ABC suspension with no other option available. Some cars have been converted to standard springs as documented in this forum.
I forgot that in the US you don't have the SL350.

Bi-xenons are standard equipment in the UK.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Heated/cooled seats are nice just because the of the leather quality. Keyless Go is nice too.
Having the BT phone puck is good.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:58 PM

How is the pano roof in the summer? In the summer I cook in my corvette and that's with a new roof and having another layer of anti-reflective tint on it. The sun just beats through. It got to the point I stopped driving it on hot days.

The cars I have looked at all had heated and cooled seats.
Distronic would be a plus.

It's too bad about the area behind the seats. My girlfriend is going to be bummed out that we can't go out as a family in the convertible. That's is the only thing that would prevent me from pulling the trigger on this car.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
How is the pano roof in the summer? In the summer I cook in my corvette and that's with a new roof and having another layer of anti-reflective tint on it. The sun just beats through. It got to the point I stopped driving it on hot days.

The cars I have looked at all had heated and cooled seats.
Distronic would be a plus.

It's too bad about the area behind the seats. My girlfriend is going to be bummed out that we can't go out as a family in the convertible. That's is the only thing that would prevent me from pulling the trigger on this car.
The pano roof glass is heavily tinted, and also has a built in roller shade if needed. I've never felt the need to use the shade (unlike the pano roof in my GLK Which needs the shade occasionally, mostly for glare or if parked in sun the interior heats up dramatically more than the SL)

With the car runnng and AC on you will never feel uncomfortable. On some of our more miserable mid Atlantic summer days, high 90s and high humidity, dropping the top isn't that much fun to me. The pano roof is a great way to still see the sunny sky while being in total comfort

Regarding the extra seat; this is a two seater roadster with a convertible hardtop - it's really anything but practical but at least has a fairly large trunk and interior storage for its class. For two people to cruise in luxury for a weekend getaway, it's perfect (to me)
An E class convertible may be worth looking into if you want a Mercedes drop top for more than two. It also offers an even smoother ride.

Last edited by dRockSL55; 02-05-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by compaddict
Heated/cooled seats are nice just because the of the leather quality. Keyless Go is nice too.
Having the BT phone puck is good.
Is there an AUX jack in the glove box?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Xenon headlights, KeylessGo, multi-contour seats, and ventilated seats were options. They were available as part of the P1 package. it would be very rare to find an SL without this package, but I am sure there are a few out there. Other options include Parktronic (bumper sensors), Distronic (automated cruise control), wood trim, the AMG sport appearance package and the panoramic roof are all options.

The MY2009 added some nice features like a better audio system with built-in Bluetooth hands-free, iPod interface, USB and SD-card as well as hard drive music storage.

Since the ABC system parts have a somewhat finite lifespan, my advice is to get the newest/ lowest-mileage version you can afford. Saving a few thousand dollars today on a higher mileage car my cost you that much in the fiist year of ownership.